Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

It's pretty simple! In the most basic format, you simply need to add a 320x200 graphic to your wad with the name 'TITLEPIC'. You can add this via Slade, and you can use any program you like (MSPaint, Photoshop etc) to create the graphic. Ensure when you add the graphic to your wad that you convert it to a doom graphic, an option under the right click menu in Slade. :)

Thanks! That was a faster response then i expected!

I should've asked where exactly i need to go for the file replacement XD i have not used slade before so i do not know my way around :P 

Edit: Thanks For The Help guys And For Some reason i cant post on this thread :P

also i use GZDoom, is that bad?

Edited by ToxicXender : Cant Post Regularly

It's relatively simple. SLADE has a wiki with some tutorials. Basically all you need is to open your wad file, drag and drop your graphic file into it, the rename it to TITLEPIC and convert it to Doom picture format. Make sure you don't drop it in the middle of your map lumps, though (then it wouldn't be seen by the engine, and it'd break the map).

Depending on what source port you use, you may not even need to shrink the image to 320x200 and convert it to Doom format, by the way.

Drag/drop the image into Slade3, anywhere outside a namespace

4MCWH8Y.png

If you map for an advanced port, G/ZDOOM, Eternity, EDGE, etc

then you can use a larger size and the png format, so you don't

need to convert to the DOOM palette.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:13 AM, GoatLord said:

Yes, but this must be done in a non-limit removing port. I can't figure out how to do this in Chocolate Doom which has the limits in place.

you mean it just boots you out immediately saying there's a visplane 128 error?

3 hours ago, Byeblothingal 1024 said:

you mean it just boots you out immediately saying there's a visplane 128 error?

No, I can't figure out how to run a mod in Chocolate doom.

10 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

No, I can't figure out how to run a mod in Chocolate doom.

-file, same as vanilla Doom and other source ports.

How do you do 3d floors with see-through textures in GZDoom, like in this screenshot from golden souls? I've tried just using MIDSPACE as the floor for one before, but haven't been able to recreate the same effect.

Screenshot_Doom_20171222_220143.png.7891a3d02d3a108c2ee48cad207416ee.png

Since you have an example in a wad, you could look at it in an editor to see how they did it. I meant this as a serious suggestion, not just being snarky. It is what I would do, combined with looking it up in the ZDoom wiki.

Is there a trick for intermission text?  I am having a hard time trying to get it to stay on my screen without it spilling over to the rights.  Also, it seems to change when I change up my resolution.  Is there a standard format for this?

Actually I was referring to the lines not fitting on the screen and the fact that changing resolution seems to correct it or make it worse.  There isn't a standard format for this is there?  If someone is playing at low resolution, they won't see the text correctly.

What do most people do?  Thanks

On 12/23/2017 at 0:04 AM, THMG said:

How do you do 3d floors with see-through textures in GZDoom, like in this screenshot from golden souls? I've tried just using MIDSPACE as the floor for one before, but haven't been able to recreate the same effect.

Screenshot_Doom_20171222_220143.png.7891a3d02d3a108c2ee48cad207416ee.png

3D floors with a transparent texture will appear like this in UDMF. An editor like GZDoom Builder is excellent for implementing this effect.

5 hours ago, Zemini said:

Actually I was referring to...

I know what you mean.

What do most people do?  Thanks

I thought it was obvious, but the solution is to manually put line breaks into your text such that the text won't run off the screen when the game is played at the lowest resolution - that's why I told you how to add the line breaks.

Eris found a solution. Decals don't appear on animated textures, so you can turn any texture into a one-frame animation to prevent them from appearing.

I have custom colors for each skill mode.  How can I make it so the game doesn't highlight or change the color of when using the selector?  Should I look more closely at MENUDEF?

Is is safe to leave map with nodebuilding artifacts as shown below? Is there any other risk than minor graphical glitches? I ask in the vanilla context.

nodebuilding_artifacts.png

There are a lot of parts in Knee Deep in the Zdoom where you go into a elevator or pit and it "teleports" you to a different area.  Is there a guide out there to manipulate that?  Thanks.

There are a lot of parts in Knee Deep in the Zdoom where you go into a elevator or pit and it "teleports" you to a different area.  Is there a guide out there to manipulate that?  Thanks.

That sounds like Teleport_Line.

Now that I think about it some more, it could be TeleportInSector.

What I would do is look at the map in Doom Builder and see how they did it.

How do you locate a specific linedef in GZDB? Apparently my DMP map has an issue with line 1506 and I'm not sure how to find it.

Edit: Disregard this. It's in search > linedef index.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:32 PM, Empyre said:

That sounds like Teleport_Line.

Now that I think about it some more, it could be TeleportInSector.

What I would do is look at the map in Doom Builder and see how they did it.

Well it is a pk file and doom builder doesn't reconize it as a map.  But I decided to do away with it.  My goal was to have the player drop into a pit below.

New Question.  Is there a list of all things that indicates its skill flag?  I am remaking skill levels and it is tedious to change each item one by one.  I might just delete everything and start over.

3 hours ago, Zemini said:

Well it is a pk file and doom builder doesn't reconize it as a map.  But I decided to do away with it.  My goal was to have the player drop into a pit below.

New Question.  Is there a list of all things that indicates its skill flag?  I am remaking skill levels and it is tedious to change each item one by one.  I might just delete everything and start over.

If the pk3 is organized properly, there should be a maps folder with wads in that folder with one map each. Use Slade (or just open it like a zip file) and extract the wad with the map you want to see, and then open it in Doom Builder.

You can filter the things by skill level. Click on the where it says Show All next to the filter symbol (which looks like a funnel) and select the skill level, and it wil shw only the things that appear at that skill level.

What program should I use to edit or make textures, and how do I open textures from a WAD file in a photo editor?

1 hour ago, Snikle said:

What program should I use to edit or make textures, and how do I open textures from a WAD file in a photo editor?

There are a number of freeware programs, such as Paint.Net, Gimp, etc.

Export the texture with Slade3 as Graphic - Export as png. Then load it into a graphics program.

After you have made whatever changes to the textures, copy/paste the texture with Slade3 into

your pwad. If you use a port which supports png then leave it as is, else change the file format

from png to DOOM format, again within Slade3.

Using DECORATE, how can I create an actor that has the chance of replacing something else? e.g. I want to add a triple-barreled shotgun (or whatever) that replaces the Shotgun spawn, but not a 100% of the time, so I give it a 50% chance or something.

I'm having some trouble with HealThing. I have this:

ACTOR OverpoweredBoost : PowerDamage
{
	DamageFactor "Normal", 10
	Powerup.Color Red, 0.1
	Powerup.Duration -30
}

ACTOR TheBerserk : PowerupGiver replaces Berserk
{
	Powerup.Type "OverpoweredBoost"
	Inventory.PickupMessage "Berserk!"
	Inventory.MaxAmount 0
	+INVENTORY.AUTOACTIVATE

States
	{
	Spawn:
		PSTR A -1
		Stop
	Pickup:
		TNT1 A 0 HealThing(100)
		Stop
	}
}

While everything else works as intended, it won't heal the player at all. I tried to put the Pickup state on the OverpoweredBoost actor, but nothing changes.

How to make an explosive projectile not hurt its sender? In this case the player themselves. I was looking at A_Explode's XF_HURTSOURCE flag, but as it's set by default, I don't know how to remove it.