Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

would you like to see PSX Doom ported to PC?

Just now, Cacodemon345 said:

like JagDoom that prints error message into the screen and hangs itself?

Yeah. The only difference here is that PSX clears the screen first, and also that there isn't a hardware offset applied to the buffer it uses to draw the message, so it actually appears at the top of the screen rather than over the status bar (the Jaguar port conceptually draws to the same coordinates but the hardware applies a weird offset to the buffer it uses - Calico does not emulate this when -devparm is enabled as I don't know how it is supposed to work, so the debug output in my port appears at the top, like in PSX).

8 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

It is better to play PSX Doom in it's original and true form on the PC.

The GEC TC will probably feature the same levels that you can already find in the PSX Doom TC, Doom 64.

Doom 64 already has been ported to PC anyway.

Why can't you just play PSX Doom TC, what is it exactly that you want from the original PSX Doom that PSX Doom TC failed to recreate ? Provide details instead of just saying "Doom 64 has been ported anyway" and "It is better to play PSX Doom in it's original and true form on the PC."

Just now, dmg_64 said:

Why can't you just play PSX Doom TC, what is it exactly that you want from the original PSX Doom that PSX Doom TC failed to recreate ? Provide details instead of just saying "Doom 64 has been ported anyway" and "It is better to play PSX Doom in it's original and true form on the PC."

I did play PSX Doom TC.

But as @InsanityBringer stated, it just dosen't feel right.

The Sega Saturn port also has all the same error screens as the PSX version coded into it, although there seems to be no way to actually trigger them in game. I've tried numerous times to get the "Texture Cache Overflow" error to trigger on The Citadel but the game simply won't do it.

37 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Why

It lacks the keycard flashing effect on the status bar.

As it is only usable on GZDoom, the OpenGL renderer simply does not render it the PSX Doom way.

Like colored lighting.It's another difference is that PSX Doom counts everything at the same time on the intermission screen, whereas PC Doom

counts kill/items/secrets at one time.Like kill is counted first, then items, then secrets.

34 minutes ago, Mattfrie1 said:

The Sega Saturn port also has all the same error screens as the PSX version coded into it, although there seems to be no way to actually trigger them in game. I've tried numerous times to get the "Texture Cache Overflow" error to trigger on The Citadel but the game simply won't do it.

Sega Saturn has a bigger texture cache, that's why it can't be triggered.

There is little to no interest to even port it to the PC.

Mysteriously, there is a MAP60.LCD found on the PSX Doom CD.

It contains all the PSX Doom sounds, even the Arachnotron sounds.

Probably a evidence of a missing maps?

Edited by Cacodemon345

Yes I would love it. I'd also like a GBA to PC port of Doom 1 & 2.

Go forth. Make it happen.

5 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

It is not possible to port these things to PC.

Its impossible to port inferior things? Didn't someone port Doom 64 to PC?

GBA Doom is perfectly doable. It is also directly based on the Jaguar version. Doom 2 is not doable however. It uses the proprietary Torus Engine and literally nothing is known about its code or its data formats. Too much work to get anywhere at all with it.

Also, I believe MAP60.LCD *may* be for the Doom II cast call sequence. But I've never verified that.

3 minutes ago, Quasar said:

GBA Doom is perfectly doable. It is also directly based on the Jaguar version. Doom 2 is not doable however. It uses the proprietary Torus Engine and literally nothing is known about its code or its data formats. Too much work to get anywhere at all with it.

Also, I believe MAP60.LCD *may* be for the Doom II cast call sequence. But I've never verified that.

It also seems to contain the rocket firing sound.

Just now, Cacodemon345 said:

It also seems to contain the rocket firing sound.

Naturally, because the Cyberdemon plays it when attacking.

Doing a port of Doom 2 GBA would be neat if only because the game is so different compared to the original, but that grunt work is the biggest obstacle. There's been folk trying to figure out the formats, someone's gotten the graphics modded to be identical to the PC version, but I don't know if maps have been figured out. I have a lead on where they are (there's a 34 element pointer table, consistent with the amount of maps in Doom II with the split industrial zone and chasm. The table is shorter and matches the amount of maps in Duke Nukem Advance's rom), but I haven't figured anything more out, and frankly just having the formats doesn't help anyone. (Could be used to make a reconstruction in ZD or something though)

GBA Doom 1 support in Calico would definitely be the more viable option, even if its less interesting.

If the map data locations can ever be found, I'd definitely be interested in working on an extractor, since I'd like to have maps of the levels for the wiki in order to show the minor changes that were made to many of them, plus the two that were split. I've been wanting to do similar for SNES Doom for a long time as well.

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Mysteriously, there is a MAP60.LCD found on the PSX Doom CD.

It contains all the PSX Doom sounds, even the Arachnotron sounds.

Probably a evidence of a missing maps?

MAP60.LCD is actually the sound file for the end screen that goes through the entire cast of enemies in the game, thus the reason why it contains all the sounds. The same MAP60.LCD file is also retained on the PSX Final Doom disc (Even though that game has only 30 levels) for that game's ending screen as well.

The Saturn port also contains files for a MAP60 as well, but those files appear to be for all the monster sprites for the ending screen instead.

5 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

GBA Doom 1 support in Calico would definitely be the more viable option, even if its less interesting.

This makes me question one another thing; if GBA DOOM I did become playable in Calico, would we need a new ROM/WAD image from the GBA port or would it still use the original ROM/WAD image from the Jaguar port? Considering that the GBA port has some differences (mostly regarding enemies and sounds).

Now that I've thought about it, a straightforward PC port of PSX (and perhaps Saturn) DOOM might do us some good, such as alternating between PSX and Saturn options (e.g. status bar, weapon speed, level lighting, etc.) and being able to play without all the framerate worries.

On 12/26/2017 at 10:14 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

would you like to see PSX Doom ported to PC?

Yes, of course - it would be amazing. And, that's coming from a guy who knows very little about PSX Doom. But I find all incantations of Doom interesting. Especially if the port recreates the look and feel, including bug recreation, visual and gameplay glitches, and all idiosyncrasies of the original. Nostalgia only works if you have a faithful recreation. And, with a good emulation or re-creation, new maps could be built and tested, and, eventually pushed back to be playable on original hardware, full circle. There's all sorts of neat things that could come out of it.

It's probably a *lot* of work.

6 hours ago, taufan99 said:

This makes me question one another thing; if GBA DOOM I did become playable in Calico, would we need a new ROM/WAD image from the GBA port or would it still use the original ROM/WAD image from the Jaguar port? Considering that the GBA port has some differences (mostly regarding enemies and sounds).

You would need a new image from the GBA port.

On 12/28/2017 at 5:19 AM, taufan99 said:

Now that I've thought about it, a straightforward PC port of PSX (and perhaps Saturn) DOOM might do us some good, such as alternating between PSX and Saturn options (e.g. status bar, weapon speed, level lighting, etc.) and being able to play without all the framerate worries.

I would be really thankful about it.

Edit: @InsanityBringer, Duke Nukem Advance uses the same Torus Engine as GBA Doom 2.

Edited by Cacodemon345