Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Tactical Third Person Shooters

Below is a list of third person shooters that had elements similar to Gears of War but they were released before Gears popularized these elements. I know that games like Resident Evil also had similar gameplay elements and were also released before hand. Are there any other games that are very similar that I did not mention below? I am only looking for games that came out before the Xbox 360, were released on the PC and that might have had a console release.

1. Conflict: Vietnam 
    Spoiler

- You can mount turrets, control different members of your squad, crawl along the ground and sneak up behind enemies and slit their throat from behind.

2. Shellshock: Nam '67 
    Spoiler

- You can mount turrets, deactivate booby traps, crawl along the ground, go into an over the shoulder targeting stance and toss grenades Gears of war style.

3. Rogue Trooper 
    Spoiler

- You can go into an over the shoulder targeting mode, take cover Gears of War style, Use your helmet to hack, and place your gun down and use it like an auto turret.
Edited by Halfblind

Kill Switch should always be brought up as the game that had a cover system and blindfire before Gears of War. I believe Cliff or someone at Epic even said it was an inspiration.

Spoiler

There is also Full Spectrum Warrior, not necessarily a third person game and more strategy, but still a tactical game.

Spoiler

And lastly Rainbow Six Vegas. The first one came out for 360 and the same month as Gears of War and is also mostly first person, but when you take cover it goes third person and had things like blindfire and commands for teammates.

Spoiler

If you like James Bond games then I guess Everything or Nothing in a way counts as a tactical TPS.

11 hours ago, dethtoll said:

Rogue Trooper was pretty swick. I played through it twice.

How odd so did I. I played through it twice sometime last year when I checked it out from the library. I was surprised how good it was and how much fun I had while playing it. It also had a hoard mode that was best played with a friend. This game was so underrated.