Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Which features do you miss in Windows Vista and later?

I don't miss anything that was removed starting with Vista since I never used them and they didn't affect my overall experience. The only thing I miss would be a real Start Menu like all Windows version had up until 7. In 8 it's basically nonexistent and I'm really not a fan of what they did in 10.

As about why they remove them, various reasons I guess. Being deemed unnecessary or of little to no interest to the majority of the users could be one, but there's probably more complex reasons out there as well (and some shitty).

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Proper compatibility with older games.

I also miss it.

M$ took it as a burden and started messing with DirectDraw.

Anyways, what are actually the reasons for feature removal?

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Anyways, what are actually the reasons for feature removal?

I have trouble believing Microsoft would willingly fiddle with breaking software compatibility, at least in any other manner than inexplicably removing the 16-bit software compatibility layer in Windows 7. It was probably just a consequence of some other feature(s) that Vista introduced.

Vista was just a clunky, unreliable heap of garbage that never felt like it left beta. I don't miss it in the slightest. I'm still on Windows 7, and have yet to find any major issues with it.

3 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Vista was just a clunky, unreliable heap of garbage that never felt like it left beta.

Like Vista, Windows ME was also an unreliable heap of garbage that deserves to be dumped :D

Am I the only one who had absolutely no issues whatsoever with Vista?? without the service packs?? during 2 years of use??

Vista was great.

I miss Pinball 3D. Thankfully I have it copied from my school computers which are still on XP. :]

Also yeah the ruined compatibility with 16-bit stuff is kinda bothersome... but do you really expect any reasonable company to support 15+ year-old software, written for a quite different architecture or whatever? Even the compatibility with old programs that we have on Win7 is just amazing IMHO. Most Win9x games work on my Win7 without any need for any virtual machines or emulators or what have you. Amazing.

Must've taken dozens of hours of work. Hats off.

I also miss the ability to change default MIDI device on Win8+

It kind of breaks MIDI programs that use default MIDI devices.

Edited by Cacodemon345

TweakUI was a really nice "power toy" that Microsoft used to offer for XP and earlier. There were tons of little things you could adjust to make the user experience a little bit swifter, like finer control over mouse wheel scrolling, how long menus delay before submenus open, hiding/showing Start Menu items that are normally uncontrollable (like Help), even some weirder settings like X11-style window focusing (having a window become "active" solely by the mouse hovering over it was a thing that could bring much productivity if you were willing to get used to it). Sadly, MS stopped offering TweakUI updates for Vista and beyond, and while third-party programs (and the much-vaunted "God Mode" menu) offer half of these in a different form, much of them went by the wayside as the interface got overhauled.

I used to use Windows XP's Visual Styles for a crapton of things - my preferred theme was a replica of Ubuntu 7's Human window decor, which I found simple, effective, and not as in-the-way as XP's Luna and not as chunky and dated as Windows Classic. While it's still possible to install visual styles in Windows 8.1 and (I think) 10, they are not capable of changing some aspects of the window decor, which makes many themes look ugly or just plain not function. And even though I did once pay money (ten bucks!) for a copy of Stardock WindowBlinds to make up for this loss, WindowBlinds fucks up too many games to be worth using regularly.

4 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

You are supposed to post here which features do you miss from Windows XP.

Windows XP came out before Vista. 

I hope you nerds know that you can still download and play things like pinball 3d and classic minesweeper on later windows

pinball: https://www.groovypost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/3d_pinball_for_windows_space_cadet.exe

minesweeper: http://www.minesweeper.info/downloads/games/Winmine__XP.exe

you can thank me immediately

anyways something i really miss while using windows 10 is that in windows 7 you could install really good custom themes but custom themes are extremely limited in windows 10

all i want is the windows xp theme

why cant i have the windows xp theme in windows 10

w h y

Edited by bonnie

M$ fucked up this custom theme system hack to an extent that even trying to apply xp theme will break the desktop, making it unusable.

33 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Why does M$ keep fucking with Windows?

What did they do now :v ?