Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Brutal Doom wins mod of the year on Mod DB

Well Brutal Doom, unless I'm misinterpreting things, was born just to be a more gory and modern version of the old and solid vanilla gameplay. That now is something so bloated and that it keeps going for the sake of it it's another matter, or maybe not... But it's not surprising that brutal doom is more popular than other mods that make their own things but they also have a more niche appeal.

4 hours ago, Arctangent said:

Well, this sure is one way to admit to people you like to have very large opinions about things you know nothing about.

Please elaborate on my large opinions and on how this forum hasn't degenerated into whining central over the last twelve months.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I hope this is just your ego talking and you don't actually believe this horse shit lol

What he said is actually incredibly self-degrading. You'd think working so much must result in something truly astounding, but all we have is Brutal Doom.

19 minutes ago, Olroda said:

Please elaborate on my large opinions and on how this forum hasn't degenerated into whining central over the last twelve months.

And yet you still come back to listen to it. sounds to me that you're the one whining, not everyone else.

Yeah, Mark's just high off his own farts with some of the shit he's saying.

This entire thread: A better mod should have won MOTW.

Edited by Glaice

3 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

You'd think working so much must result in something truly astounding, but all we have is Brutal Doom.

12 years old (more than half of the Doom community since 2014) love Brutal Doom.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:12 PM, Memfis said:

This is actually a good thing for the community.

A shiver ran down my spine. Are we Bitcoin now?

7 hours ago, Olroda said:

I mean, if you're going to change the subject to something completely irrelevant, then the burden of proof's on you.

On 12/29/2017 at 6:28 PM, Xaser said:

Brutal Doom taking the #1 spot over mods for other games is a good thing for Doom. Its creator dissing the entire rest of the Doom modding community in the comments section is not.

Okay, I have exaggerated things a bit on these replies. Sorry. People were offending me first, I figured these posters were coming out from /vr/, and I have let myself go trigger-happy.

6 hours ago, wildweasel said:

My congratulations go out to all the people whose works made Brutal Doom possible. Those people - especially the ones who remain uncredited - are the real winners in my book.

Four years later, even after I included credits both on a .txt file, the background credit menu (and also have been called by some youtubers as "amateurish" for making a credit list pop up during the game selection menu) and now in an in-game menu, I am still waiting for the names of these alleged uncredited people to show up. I believe I got everyone's names covered already. If you think I am wrong, it's up to you to prove. How hard it can be to provide me a simple list of names?

Edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Okay, I have exaggerated things a bit on these replies. Sorry. People were offending me first, I figured these posters were coming out from /vr/, and I have let myself go trigger-happy.

And even if it's true, responding like that is giving them exactly what they want, and just adds more fuel to the fire. If you want people to stop thinking you act like that, then don't act like that.

nice I guess

things would be calmer if all parties just chilled out a little more and played some brutal doom. wait maybe vanilla doom. uh... ok maybe this isn't that easy...

Okay, I wasn't expecting Brutal Doom to get the Mod of the Year award at all.

First, Brutal Doom 64 getting an award from IGN, now this.

Despite what it sounds like, I'm not hating on Brutal Doom at all. I play it sometimes (Though, I'm starting to lose interest in it), and I like it. I'm just glad that it got such an award.

To be fair, I think v21 of Brutal Doom was released in 2017 (I might be wrong though)

Just now, The Ultimate DooMer said:

Throw in the Hell on Earth Starter Pack and I would've agreed...on it's own, nope. (also seems daft that it's not only stuff from 2017)

The campaign in that really should have gotten a Cacoward. Regardless of how one might feel about Brutal Doom, it was a spectacular megawad to play through. Definitely could have benefited from having a better name than 'Hell on Earth Starter Pack'. 

In Mark's defense I'll say, to those reaching for straws when there was complaints about the title 'After the Holocaust', how come nobody got upset at Brossard for 'Hollywood Holocaust'? Just food for thought.

destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war.

"a nuclear holocaust"

synonyms:cataclysm, disaster, catastrophe; 

Brutal Doom has all of the components necessary to reach a much wider audience than the Doom community itself, so as much as it might unfairly overshadow other mods that are higher quality but less accessible, is it really reasonable to be upset about it winning mod of the year, especially when there are so many people who genuinely enjoy it?

And can we really expect an audience of primarily non-Doom fans to know about Mark's behavior?

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

The campaign in that really should have gotten a Cacoward. Regardless of how one might feel about Brutal Doom, it was a spectacular megawad to play through.

It isn't "finished" so it hasn't even been eligible yet. Once Extermination Day is released as a basically-finished product (and not one of the endless betas or WIP builds) it will be considered.

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

In Mark's defense I'll say, to those reaching for straws when there was complaints about the title 'After the Holocaust', how come nobody got upset at Brossard for 'Hollywood Holocaust'? Just food for thought.

Who complained about anything holocaust related?

ZDaemon servers aren't empty, and 90% of Zandronum servers don't even run Brutal Doom, and even those that do end up empty.

40 minutes ago, Kaal979 said:

BrutalDoom though has much potential

to keep ZDaemon servers empty! 

I see more megagame.wad servers than Brutal Doom servers on Zandronum. And ZDaemon is based on an older version of ZDoom, so of course it won't attract much of a modern audience as it doesn't support the features and mods that can be found in GZDoom and/or Zandronum.

1 hour ago, wheresthebeef said:

Who complained about anything holocaust related?

The people who were accusing him of having alt-right views.

Lets be honest guys, before Brutal Doom was conceived ( or started to burst with popularity ) no one was talking about how Doom mods should give Doom a slice of mainstream/media coverage again or how they should lure back people who were into Doom 10 or 15 years ago.

6 hours ago, GuyNamedErick said:

I see more megagame.wad servers than Brutal Doom servers on Zandronum. And ZDaemon is based on an older version of ZDoom, so of course it won't attract much of a modern audience as it doesn't support the features and mods that can be found in GZDoom and/or Zandronum.

Wow - i didnt know at all that Zandronum allows

multiplaying with ZDoom scripted stuffs - thanks! 

P.S.: Hooray n happy nu year! 

See ya on some firefighters 

monster rescue server then. 

Edited by Kaal979