Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Resigned_34

Hungarian Doom Novels

On 2017. 12. 11. at 11:45 PM, Glaice said:

Are there any versions of that first one without creases on the left side by chance?

SCI034[1].jpg

That's even better, thanks! Maybe I can reuse that in my mod (if there's a bigger version anywhere)

Doom deserves something like this.

Also, after the AI writes the book, we need to turn it into a WAD. 

6 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Doom deserves something like this.

<YOUTUBE VIDEO>

Also, after the AI writes the book, we need to turn it into a WAD. 

I watched the video and that was the most ridiculous-sounding story. I've read the Harry Potter books and enjoyed them, and I thought the AI-written chapter was funny, primarily because of how completely nonsensical it was.

It would be interesting to see what an AI-written Doom story sounded like. Although, based on some of the thoughts expressed already, I imagine there would be responses akin to, "This is as good as the actual Doom books." or "I think the AI did a better job than the human."

I might be misremembering some other book, but I think the first official Doom novel was the one that I picked up once, read that the first sentence was comparing the rock walls of a canyon to a set vaginal lips, and put the book back on the shelf after that.

On 12/19/2017 at 2:40 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I might be misremembering some other book, but I think the first official Doom novel was the one that I picked up once, read that the first sentence was comparing the rock walls of a canyon to a set vaginal lips, and put the book back on the shelf after that.

I looked into it (read: I own the books and checked the beginnings) and none of them open with any such description.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:14 AM, Average said:

We should start a bounty to have someone translate these into English and get them printed.

So... I found the first one. Online, as a web page. Downloaded a translator for firefox and I have a rough translation now my text to speech program is reading back to me. Here is the link to the online copy of the first Hungarian Doom novel:

https://www.you-books.com/book/D-Forrestal/Doom-A-Pokol-Kapui

On 12/7/2017 at 11:13 PM, Doomkid said:

Is it just an unspoken rule that you can't write a Doom story without including Revenants with an absurd fashion sense? What's the deal with that? Even as a child I never saw it as anything but silver armor with two mounted rocket launchers, the thought of adults playing the game and genuinely thinking "ah yes, those skeletons are clearly wearing red undies and a football jersey" just boggles my mind.

From the brief synopsis these sound just as absurd as the 'official' Doom books, but I actually couldn't even get through the first English book and apparently that's the best one of the lot. It wasn't just like "oh that's a little silly", it slammed you in the face with sheer absurdity and was just impossible to get into, for me anyway.

I want to give an English translation of these Hungarian novels a proper chance and see which series of Doom books wins the absurdity contest.

Come on, absurd? What's so absurd about a book containing a protagonist with a completely unbelievable scabrous wit, a talking imp that I'm fairly certain wasn't a thing at all in the later books, extremely stupid guards both named Ron, and a Doom II chaingunner by the name of John Goforth?

The second book was a little bit more grounded, imo, since it took place on Earth, though I have no idea why the Jehovah's Witnesses would ally with the Mormons like what seems to be happening here.