Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Right now, during the day it's Spyro 3 with my daughter and at night it's Final Fantasy XI. My neighbors are moving and had me come check out a box of electronics which had a ps1 and two ps2 slim consoles with about 20 games and a 27 inch CRT tv! I get to take my daughter back to the good old days of my younger gaming years in a proper retro setting. It's awesome :)

Edited by MrDeAD1313

Last two games I finished were Phantasy Star II (via the XBox 360 Sega Mega Drive Collection) and Super Mario Kart on the SNES Classic Mini. The latter is still remarkably fun, perhaps because it's so specific to it's era that there's just nothing recent like it, what with the flat tracks and weird rubber banding.

PSII holds up very well, although didn't seem much like it's predecessor, barely even sharing the setting, despite being ostensibly set in the same places a thousand years later, and one or two elements (Cermaic/Laser/Laconic weapons and equipment spring to mind, plus Dark Force/Falz). It did mean that the 35 hour playthrough of it was very little like the 20 hours or so of the original I played a month or so ago (thanks to some much-needed walkthroughs). They both have difficulty steps (because you start each game about 5-10 levels too low to actually get anywhere without grinding) and decent difficulty curves thereafter, though. I'm working through this disc in chronological order, as cherry picking was proving a bit difficult when I only knew Sonic, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, so there's a few games before PSIII, but I look forward to it.

As for what I'm actually playing: Forza Motorsport 7, as mentioned in the goals thread. I miss some things from Forza 3 and 4, such as "Open" races actually being open within a class, rather than "pick any car and we'll just provide the same group opposition the targetted events have" and events restrictions based on nationality (leading to such fun as turning up to a field of Volvos and Saabs with a Koenigsegg, for example) or for specific track types (drag, endurance and oval races!)... Oh, and progressing through the classes with the races, rather than this weird pick and mix approach that seems designed to force you into buying a new car for every event and meaning you can't settle on a drivatar difficulty and slowly gain skill against them. Toyota cars and the current city cars (Ford Ka, Peugeot 108, etc.) seem like obvious omissions, too. Saying that, playing on my PC in 4k with a wired 360 controller is nice, I like the weather and day/night stuff and the expansion into off-roaders, rally cars, trucks, and actual racing lorry and open-wheel cars is welcome. The cosmetic outfits, locked cars and loot boxes are terribly unwelcome though. The £80 price tag for the ultimate edition gave me pause for thought, too, but the game gives you all the DLC cars for free when you have the DLC, so it seemed like a reasonable price to pay for an extra 60 cars and double income... Particularly as you no longer gain income for turning assists off (doubly annoying as I play with none anyway). Saying that, playing Long races (or if you don't mind literally every race taking an hour, Extra Long races) does boost income significantly per race and increase experience gained too, giving more free or heavily discounted cars.

I think the gist of that paragraph is that I'm making a long game much longer (for a combination of joy, sense of achievement and extra in-game credits) and think it's a couple of points short of perfect. I'll probably still be on this in February.

Addicted to STRAFE, that Millennium Edition update really made it much more enjoyable, also now that it's marketed appropriately. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you avoided one of the best rogue-like shooters for its admittedly misleading initial advertising. The soundtrack is also fire.

Finished Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines today.

It was a very deep game in mechanics and its story and environments were excellent.

Remember, wherever we go, it is the blood of Caine which makes our fate.

Going through Max Payne 1. It's nice to be playing this again, I don't think I've touched it in a decade.

Love the story and atmosphere in that one, it's just too bad it becomes almost impossible to play before long without save-scumming. Mainly due to the fact the auto-adjusting difficulty which is the only one you're allowed to start off with is a wildly unbalanced joke.

4 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Love the story and atmosphere in that one, it's just too bad it becomes almost impossible to play before long without save-scumming. Mainly due to the fact the auto-adjusting difficulty which is the only one you're allowed to start off with is a wildly unbalanced joke.

My first time playing the game was on PS2.

I beat it.

I've played Max Payne so many times that I haven't really had much trouble beating it.

Just finished Cuphead and hoo boy was this game a trip. The game was brutally difficult for a first time playthrough; some boss battles were so hard I had to quit a few times and take a break before coming back with a fresh mind and trying again, and damn is it so satisfying to finally kill that annoying boss that killed you 20+ times. The amazing art style and characters along with the excellent soundtrack was a definite push to get me to play and see everything the game had to offer. Overall I really enjoyed the game and hope the game will receive a sequel somewhere in the future.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:38 PM, dethtoll said:

My first time playing the game was on PS2.

I beat it.

That's the thing, I experienced it on PS2 first and beat it like 5 or 6 times on it. The PC version is another beast altogether though, Max is no longer godlike and the enemy AI will go to the extremes before long and become perfect killers with a lot of buffs for HP, accuracy and and damage output.

hahahahaha Max Payne on PS2 is one of the hardest games I've ever played because it leaves no room for error, has no quicksaving, and when you die that's 2-3 minutes of loading. The PC version barely even rates.

Here's a tip: MP1's difficulty auto-adjusts, but they implemented it poorly. If you press 'E' when you die it will function as intended, but if you just hit the quickload key it won't remember what happened and the difficulty will just keep ramping up and up.

Finishing up a game of Crusader Kings 2 at the moment.  There's maybe 4 more hours of play left in it, I think.  After that, eyeing Doom (2016), Startopia, No One Lives Forever and Dragon Age 3 as options.  I've been holding off on the last due to reluctance to install Origin, TBH.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:13 PM, dethtoll said:

Here's a tip: MP1's difficulty auto-adjusts, but they implemented it poorly. If you press 'E' when you die it will function as intended, but if you just hit the quickload key it won't remember what happened and the difficulty will just keep ramping up and up.

That probably explains why at one point I literally couldn't beat a certain boss... (or maybe I just suck). I ended up using god mode. I have to play that game again (properly this time) at some point.

I recently played Daggerfall, Powerslave and MDK.

I have mixed feelings with Daggefall. The scale of the world is fucking ludicrous, and I was instantly overwhelmed when I looked at the travel map for the first time, but the game was pretty amazing once I got the hang of it. Having so much freedom in a game is such a new concept to me. I mean, I have played some open world games before, but they don't feel like a living, breathing world, but then again, I haven't had the chance to play any modern games, so there's probably some interesting stuff there (as well as in the other The Elder Scrolls games). Then I got to the dungeons. Oh, the dungeons. You know how fun is to explore proceduraly generated dungeons that look all the same? IT IS NOT FUN. Not without a map that actually works, anyways. Also, I didn't know Bethesda made broken games since the 90s. If you have to code in a function to return to the level in case you clip through a wall, I think you have a serious issue that should actually be fixed. Anyways, the dungeons were the deal breaker for me, and I never finished it.

Powerslave. WHY WON'T YOU LET ME STRAFE, GAME? WHY? Why would you fuck up one of the main mechanics of an FPS game?! It's just plain retarded! What the hell?! I still managed to make it to the final level... that's when my patience ran out. Yeah, why would I want ammo for my M60 or my revolver, right? Yeah, keep giving me cobras (aka rockets) so I can use them in these cramped sections... Long story short, I died three times in a row, and called it a day. Yes, I gave up on the last level.

Then I played MDK. I am genuinely impressed by how good that game is. Seriously, I'd heard that the game is good, but holy shit... it's the most fun I've had with a game in recent memory. Also, I really liked how they used a sprite for the main character instead of a 3D model! The animations are really smooth as well, so I'm guessing they actually took them from a model. Anyways, awesome game, despite its absolute linearity and painfully short length (It literally took me 2 hours to finish).

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

@KVELLERThe side stepping is broken on PC Powerslave, it's too slow, but the 'traditional' horizontal only strafe still works as intended.

Ohhhh... that makes sense... Well, not really, but I get what you mean. I would've like to know that before :/

4 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I didn't know you could play with text files.

That would be Episode 3, which was a different thing back then, before evolving into the nonexistent HL3.

I'm playing Quake. I like that gritty and gloomy feeling in it. I wish I could pick up it earlier, but it's better later than never I guess. 

25 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

I'm playing Quake. I like that gritty and gloomy feeling in it. I wish I could pick up it earlier, but it's better later than never I guess. 

Have fun playing the game. It's still a gem that never gets old. :)

I agree, Quake 1 has one of the strongest aesthetics I've ever seen in a game from that era, which is pretty good for how varied it is.