Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Doom coming to Nintendo Switch!

18 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

You picked the PERFECT week.

As someone who didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild, it took a long while before I finally had Switch games to play; it was just Mario Kart for a while, and now Mario Rabbids has come out and is great, LA Noire comes out very soon and I haven't played it since it was released and look forward to doing it again, Doom has just come out, and Mario Odyssey being fucking A+, this is right timing.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. Forget "Broke-Tober" lol

TBH I haven't even touched Zelda yet, simply because Odyssey had been taking up all of my time (and FAST RMX :P)

I grabbed DOOM and I have to say, as someone who beat the game on 2xGTX970s SLI, this port is fucking phenomenal. I remember the first time I fired up the OG Xbox version of DOOM 3 and how blown away I was. Switch DOOM evokes that same feeling. It simply shouldn't exist. Granted, there are some severe compromises in terms of visual fidelity (PC settings don't actually go that low) and there are the odd periods of physical slowdown, but the gameplay remains intact, and the fact that the devs were prepared to go that distance to get the game running on Switch is something only to be commended, Other third parties should take note. This is a current gen game running on what is effectively a tablet, and that's something special. All we need now is an eShop port of DOOM Classic Complete and job's a good'un ;)

Sadly, no SnapMap, but then, SnapMap was gimped even for the big boy consoles ...

Edited by scalliano

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Maybe it would have been too much of a resource hog?

No maybe about it. Doom'16 is very obviously pressed for resources on the Switch, it's hardly surprising that snapmap would have been too much.

Just now, wheresthebeef said:

I'm surprised they bothered to even include multiplayer; luckily it's optional.

It's optional, but unfortunately, the single-player bug fixes are tied to the same 9 GB update that includes multiplayer.

Would have been nice to see Snapmap as an optional download like Multiplayer, perhaps they'll eventually cram it in there via an update. Even if they have to water down the interface, I'd love to have the option just to have some extra longevity.

SnapMap hardly brought much longevity into the game, tbqh. especially considering that the guns behave radically different from their singleplayer counter-parts, which makes the experience incredibly disjointed for me. it's a fun distraction if anything.

I don't know, I think adding textures to player blocking volumes greatly increased the amount of things you could do with it. If storage space is the issue, why not make it a download option like with Multiplayer?

On 11/17/2017 at 4:46 AM, dmg_64 said:

Yes

image.png

Doom 2016 gets a better rating on IGN for the Nintendo Switch than the other versions.

I guess everyone's right about the phrase "you can't spell ignorant without IGN."

3 hours ago, GamingMarine said:

Doom 2016 gets a better rating on IGN for the Nintendo Switch than the other versions.

I guess everyone's right about the phrase "you can't spell ignorant without IGN."

I can only assume IGN really REALLY like playing their games down at the skate park with the cool kids.

It must really enhance the experience.

Perhaps they were simply more impressed because they had lower expectations for the Switch. It's one of the most impressive feats of the system, whereas the Ps4/One have better looking games than this.

Simplest answer is always the right one: They were done by different reviewers, thus different expectations, interests and points of view.

I bought a Switch yesterday and this was the first game I got for it since naturally I must have every Doom game for every system because I hate having money.

It's blurry, and even running at 30FPS the framerate gets wildly inconsistent during big combat areas. There's also a terrible audio glitch where it'll cut out completely and the only way to fix it is to restart from a checkpoint, finish the level or go back to the main menu and continue - good luck if you decide to play on Ultra Nightmare. However it is a pretty impressive port and perfectly playable (unlike, say, Borderlands 2 on the Vita), especially on handheld mode as every review and everyone who's played it has mentioned. 

Really curious about the upcoming Wolfenstein 2 port since after this one I assume they'll have more experience with porting the engine over and also more time to work on it, but at the same time it is a more demanding game so I'm wondering about the compromises they'll have to make.

A patch was just released for the Switch port, and in addition to fixing the audio bug and graphics & performance improvements, they also added motion controls!

https://bethesda.net/en/article/53ebGWNcOAgOSoqcSmgIoK/doom-switch-update-adds-motion-controls-and-party-support

That means you just can tilt the controller to give precise, mouse-like aiming. Nintendo's team shooter game Splatoon 2 has these controls as well and many people were requesting it for Doom as well, myself included. I just tried enabling it in my game and it's SO much easier to aim now. I'm really glad they added this feature and I'm hoping other FPS games for the Switch will follow suit.

Edited by Triple_sSs

My only gripe with the motion controls is that they don't feel as refined as in Splatoon. I mean, they work great, but something about them seems... off. 

28 minutes ago, Pyrolex said:

My only gripe with the motion controls is that they don't feel as refined as in Splatoon. I mean, they work great, but something about them seems... off. 

Playing with the motion controls myself, it does seem like there's a slight delay in the response time compared to Splatoon, plus the sensitivity isn't as high in comparison to that game as well, so yeah maybe that's the issue. Still, it doesn't bug me too much personally and it's a very welcome feature.

Edited by Triple_sSs