Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

13 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

What is the point of this?

I don't know but this is not his first post in this thread.

Sorry for over-contenting this great thread

- but he wrote to search for monsters so

i remembered those recent finds of mine. 

Late January seems like a good date.

The mother demon sprite prototype is looking fine DeXiaZ but it does not really fit Doom's art style. It reminds me more of a sprite for a NeoGeo game plus its head is screaming "Shadow Warrior" to me.

Deathmatch support, in its final form, could be officially postponed to be fully functional in a later release as there's lots of play testing necessary. Fine tuning weapon placement and needed (mild) structural changes to the maps to accommodate the players' needs are a pretty elaborate undertaking, especially for so many maps.

Cage and I talked about the Motherdemon a bit yesterday while he was working on some graphic replacements.  He mentioned Doom-ifying the original Motherdemon sprites, so that may be something that will happen.  But we haven't discussed details, and I don't think he committed to anything just yet.  I'll keep you guys updated.

@DeXiaZ Do you know if raymoohawk did any other frames?  I kind of remember seeing that mockup in the past now that you've posted it.  If the Baron/HK arms and the Mancubus bits were removed/repainted, it could work with a bit of polish.

Speaking of Cage's graphic work, I'll be showing off what he's done very soon.  Right now I'm working on updating the resource wad and a few other things.  Once that's done and ready to release, I'll show off his new stuff (you can already see the new 'Doom 64' logo he did on the OP).

On 12/20/2017 at 7:09 PM, Da Werecat said:

DEHACKED idea: since I can see simple fixes like SSG flash already implemented (even BtSX didn't do that, regrettably), maybe also center the weapons when firing? Horizontally, at least. I think PrBoom+ offers this as an option now, but other ports typically don't, unless based on ZDoom where it's forced. Another thing: cyberdemon lights up when shooting rockets, but not when exploding.

On 12/23/2017 at 11:44 AM, Da Werecat said:

DEHACKED idea after a certain fiasco during testing: disable resurrecting monsters as ghosts? It's not hard. You just need to loop the crushed frame on itself.

Could you clarify the steps needed to do these two things?  I tried searching around for existing fixes, but I couldn't come up with anything.  I have no idea how to fix the weapon firing offsets in dehacked.  For the monster ghost thing, is the crushed frame just the first resurrect frame that's called?

The past two days have kept me pretty busy, heh.  Here's the updated resource wad I promised, along with Cage's awesome new graphic work.

D64D2 Resource V6

Here's what Cage has done for the new backgrounds (with light help from myself).

Yd37qjr.png

6qX4Kjf.pngax1Ea5n.png

hF1dgpe.pngfhiJuWd.png

There are some other important things to note with this resource update as well:

• I've made some dehacked related updates that fix a few thing and address some things that Da Werecat mentioned.
  • The DECORATE work has also been finished.  I did preliminary testing and everything seems to work.  Apart from just recreating the major dehacked changes, I've added extra like obituary messages, Nightmare Imp projectile sprites, and etc.
  • I attempted to finalize the intermission texts.  At the very least they make more sense now.
  • I added a couple of new textures and flats.  Cage turned the titlepic/interpic into a marble face texture (MARBFAC5), and I also chopped it up into flats (DEM2_*).  I've already used it in some of my maps.  There's also now a WFALL* texture (mostly for MAP12: The Bleeding) (note that I picked the unreleased alpha waterfall texture...this can be changed if it doesn't look good).
  • Some of the existing textures have been updated (again, thanks to Da Werecat's suggestions...hopefully he'll be happy that I updated the SW4S* patches :P).
  • And a bunch of other changes that I can't remember now.

So if your still working on a map, be sure to grab this resource update.  If you guys run into any problems, let me know.  I've been working on multiple things lately so it possible I screwed something up while getting this done.

On top of all of this, I've got a plethora of map updates to dump here too.

The Terraformer v5

Main Engineering v5

Tech Center v3

Even Simpler v6

The Bleeding v6

Terror Core v10

Eye of the Storm v4

Blood Keep v5

Hardcore v6

Spawned Fear v5

Pitfalls v6

No Escape v4

The Absolution v5

Burnt Offerings v6

Playground v6

Unholy Temple v4

8 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Could you clarify the steps needed to do these two things?  I tried searching around for existing fixes, but I couldn't come up with anything.  I have no idea how to fix the weapon firing offsets in dehacked.  For the monster ghost thing, is the crushed frame just the first resurrect frame that's called?

First firing frame's parameters: 1, 32. A non-zero parameter modifies weapon's offset. 1 and 32 = default position.

Frame 895 is the frame a crushed monster goes to. Then it stops. When the animation stops, a monster can be resurrected. Therefore, an animation looped on itself (next frame = 895, with whatever frame duration other than -1) would prevent a monster from being resurrected.

2 hours ago, Mechadon said:

(again, thanks to Da Werecat's suggestions...hopefully he'll be happy that I updated the SW4S* patches :P)

I sorta am. I mean, the LED still somehow makes its surroundings darker, but at least the silver part is unrekt.

Will be funny to learn that this edit was made by someone frequenting this thread and I was ruining my relationship with them all along.

20 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Here's what Cage has done for the new backgrounds (with light help from myself).

Holy fuckshit. Damn nice work Cage. Do we have permission to use these freely with credit?

35 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Holy fuckshit. Damn nice work Cage. Do we have permission to use these freely with credit?

Of course, this is my contribution to this project.

I'm considering tackling the motherdemon, but don't hold your breath - I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find time. I think it's kinda sad that projects very rarely feature custom monsters but those are a quite a workload.

6 hours ago, Cage said:

projects very rarely feature custom monsters but those are a quite a workload.

I don't even have to be a sprite artist to know that's the truth. Can't just do a frame for idle, pain, and deaths... you gotta do it for each rotation if you want it done right.

It could though be pretty simple - by making photos

of acting peoples (as seen in StreetFighter-TheMovie)

or by putting e.g. D4 monsters in some models and

animations viewer program ... . 

P.S.: I believe thats also the way how

the original D64 monsters were made. 

Having seen Cage's monster spriting work done first-hand (and done some really crappy edits myself), I can safely say there is nothing simple about it.  Especially if you want the frames to look nice and consistent.  It takes a ton of skill and patience.

@Da Werecat Thanks for the info, I'll knock out that dehacked stuff asap.  Also about the switch texture, I agree with you about the weird lighting.  I didn't really notice it when I was editing the texture because I had a bunch of other things to take care of, but it does look weird.  I can probably tweak it so it looks better.

Edited by Mechadon

2 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Especially if you want the frames to look nice and consistent

A few tricks: 

Pixels selection per colour ranges. 

Overall Contrast or Colour Saturation? 

Sharpening or Softening? 

Pixelation twice or half? 

If all frames put on one huge mask

image (png) can all be edited at once. 

P.S.: When you look at the games palette

makes this altering colouration of selected

pixel areas easiery to import and convert

in Slade! 

Btw. - GIMP allows to either select all pixels

of one (or more!(keep shift)) colours or only

of one or more coloured certain areas.

Edited by Kaal979

build v6 in zdaemon:

map01 - corpses blocking exit (already noted by you)

map07 - Sometimes cannot finish after all monsters kills, no way to get to the exit, the lifts dont raise up. Doesn't always happen however.

map08 - voodoo dolls blocking the player at the start

map08 - possible to get stuck in here. See screenshot.

bbxu3FE.png

map09 - cannot get blue key, seems to big of a jump, even for SR50. One players had to ssg another player over to it. Are we missing something?

map10 - players can still get stuck in the yellow key compartment, especially in multiplayer.

map21 - Final boss in this map, is this intented? See screenshot.
ex093kg.png

map24 - players can get stuck here. See screenshot
nEPgfzy.png

map25 - problem around yellow key area, cannot progress. See screenshot.
4vXlYF9.png

map31 - blue soul sphere isn't death trap

map31 - can exit without any keys or doing anything

1 hour ago, damo2k said:

map07 - Sometimes cannot finish after all monsters kills, no way to get to the exit, the lifts dont raise up. Doesn't always happen however.

I'm looking into this right now, but I'm kind of stumped.  I know the old MAP07 trigger bug where the sector tagged 667 can raise up more than once if you kill the the last couple of Arachnotrons at the same time (which shouldn't be a problem in this particular map).  But I'm not sure what would cause the floor to not raise up at all.  So I don't know how best to fix this issue :/

map25 - problem around yellow key area, cannot progress. See screenshot.

There should have been a COOP teleporter that opened up in the YK room (south-eastern corner of the room).  But I accidentally put the trigger that closes the door before the trigger that opens up the COOP teleporter.  So it is possible that a player could trigger the door closing then backtrack before opening up the teleporter...seems unlikely, but I'll assume that's what happened :P.  In any case, I'll swap those trigger lines around.

map31 - can exit without any keys or doing anything

This one is intentional I believe.  The idea is that the player can chicken out if they can't get all three keys, and just head on to MAP16.  Otherwise they get to play MAP32 if they can get all of the keys.

Thanks again for all of your help with COOP testing!  I'll get all of this stuff logged into the bug tracker.

Edited by Mechadon

A few tricks: 

Pixels selection per colour ranges. 

Overall Contrast or Colour Saturation? 

Sharpening or Softening? 

Pixelation twice or half? 

If all frames put on one huge mask

image (png) can all be edited at once. 

P.S.: When you look at the games palette

makes this altering colouration of selected

pixel areas easiery to import and convert

in Slade! 

Btw. - GIMP allows to either select all pixels

of one (or more!(keep shift)) colours or only

of one or more coloured certain areas.

Ok guys, here's another resource wad update.  Sorry for yet another release so close to the last one, but I fixed and added a few things, and I want to make sure we're all on the same page now that the project is close to its end.  And I need to make sure everything is working as intended with the dehacked/decorate code and etc.

D64D2 Resource V6b

Here's what's new:

- Weapons should now recenter their positioning when you fire them (thanks to Da Werecat for that info).

- Ghost monsters should also be a thing of the past (again, thanks to Da Werecat) (btw @Da Werecat, if you have the time, can you check to ensure I implemented both of these things correctly?).

- I tweaked the SW4S1 patch so that it [hopefully] looks a bit better.

- I added a new ENDOOM graphic (using playscii by @JPL).

- There may have been a couple other minor changes that I can't recall now.

Here's what the ENDOOM looks like by the way:

Lc9niKD.png

I'm certainly no artist, but I tried to keep it simple and to the point.  It came out ok given the limitations of the format I think :)

I'm also going to have to dump a ton of map updates here again.  These are mostly minor edits, so don't stress over testing them unless you really want to.

Even Simpler v7

Pitfalls v7

Burnt Offerings v7

Blood Keep v6

Hardcore v7

Playground v7

The Absolution v6

Unholy Temple v5

Terror Core v11

The Bleeding v7

Altar of Pain v6

Eye of the Storm v5

Dark Citadel v6

The next test build will probably be released sometime soon.  I'm thinking probably close to next weekend or so.  If you have bugs in your map that need fixing, or you just want to have an updated version of your map in the next build, try to get it to me by this Friday (5th).  I'm also still waiting on music selections for a few of the maps; again, I can choose a track for you if your not sure what you want or you don't really care.  The bug tracker has been updated with damo2k's latest reports, so be sure to check those out.

Edited by Mechadon : slight update to the ENDOOM, heh

Hmm, that's strange.  It played back for me ok (I'm using the default Microsoft midi option).  I did notice that it won't play MAP01's music though, which is odd because it should just play D_RUNNIN.

I'll make a note of it in the bug tracker.

Wow we're getting real fancy with an ENDOOM and everything. I bet @Death Egg never would have imagined the project would have not only survived for so long but ended up with cool stuff like custom graphics and stuff.

On 30.12.2017 at 1:04 AM, Mechadon said:

Do you know if raymoohawk did any other frames?  I kind of remember seeing that mockup in the past now that you've posted it.  If the Baron/HK arms and the Mancubus bits were removed/repainted, it could work with a bit of polish.

I sent the message to him on ZDoom Forums and Doomworld. He didn't answer me. So, I don't know. But I agree to "delete" mancubus parts and delete green hellknight fire on hands.

P.S.: Cage' arts made me cum. He did an awesome job.

Just wanted to pipe up and say I can't wait for this to be finished! It looks awesome!

13 hours ago, damo2k said:

map09 - cannot get blue key, seems to big of a jump, even for SR50. One players had to ssg another player over to it. Are we missing something?

You need to raise a bridge.

13 hours ago, damo2k said:

map10 - players can still get stuck in the yellow key compartment, especially in multiplayer.

Strange. How do you get stuck in there, exactly? Maybe I misunderstood the problem the first time.

6 hours ago, Mechadon said:

(btw @Da Werecat, if you have the time, can you check to ensure I implemented both of these things correctly?)

Yep, looks fine. Thanks.

23 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

You need to raise a bridge.

Strange. How do you get stuck in there, exactly? Maybe I misunderstood the problem the first time.

The thing is, we don't seem to know how to raise the bridge, or it simply isn't working for us. A good few of us played this map a few times and no-one could figure out how to get the blue key. Maybe its only not working in zdaemon.

As for the yellow key on the other map. The little rectangle block/area that the yellow key is contained in. The player can get stuck inside there, especially if other players are mashing the two switches that lowers/raises it.