Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Combat Shock 2

Last Ironman isn't done yet - there are still some replays to watch before final scores will be in

ded on map 1/2/2.

While checking everything was working I saw the location of the first shotgun in map 1, other than that it's a blind run.

demo files

Kaboomed twice on map 3, then finally on map 4.  First map 3 death was me questioning where the last two thirds of the monsters were, then that question getting answered at what I presumed was the final fight when releasing one too many enemy hordes at once lead to my demise.

Second map 3 death?  Dumb RL trap death.  I might have filed this death into the "Failures so bad that I get smacked upside the head by X" folder.

As for the "Failures so bad that I get bitchslapped by X' folder?  Don't worry because my 3rd and final death on map 4 is the perfect candidate for that.  Remember when I missed a green armor in last week's ironman?  Well, let's up that to TWO megaspheres.  The first I just plain forgot about after the YK trap.  The second one...well, I was well aware of it, but I wanted to save it because I'm a genius and think I can take on 4 PEs and 4 Mancubi released after hitting the YK switch before snagging it (Yes, I still didn't get that megasphere I skipped over before the YK trap at this point).  Evidently not, considering I had a huge attraction to ramming my body into mancubus fireballs like they were hotcakes.

Category 2 run if only because after all three deaths, I checked out the map starts of the levels ahead of me and recognized the start of map 6.  Likely played it some time ago during a survival session

DWIronman_CShock2_AnimaZero.zip

Wasn't expecting to get very far despite being pretty familar with both C-Shocks as they are some of my all time favorites and true classics.

First of all i was too inept to dodge a cyb rocket on Map03.

After that i got blasted by a vile in Map04's YK fight.

At last i got pwned by a spider whilst trying to get up a lift on Map05 -.-

C-shock2-Ironman-TNq.zip

Edited by tourniquet

Yeah... well. I don't really like extreme WADs like this one, and I suck at them, so my result is pretty much just that. It's a blind playthrough, [1].

Ultra-Violence - MAP02. I survived MAP01 which isn't really difficult, except the start and the bazillion of enemies at one spot. Then MAP02 came, and, yeah. Managed to hold on for a decent amount of time (evading an Archvile attack at 1 HP for 30 seconds is a must watch!) but inevitably died.

Hurt Me Plenty - MAP02, a certified GAD. Well, what to expect? I lived for a grand total of 3 minutes and 37 seconds. Pistol starting this map, even on a slightly lower difficulty, puts you in a worse position, because you can't carry over the plasma gun, and you have to fight hard for most weapons. Died earlier than on my UV run due to my the biggest BSOD you have ever seen - I decided to run in front of the Cyberdemon while he was in the middle of a volley, for some 10 rockets. You can imagine the turnout!

Hey, Not Too Rough - MAP04. The rest of MAP02 is much easier on HNTR, and it's indeed pretty easy. There's a few moments, but it was well controlled, I'd say. MAP03 was kindof a breather, I suppose, as it wasn't difficult at all on this skill level. The only part where I might have had some problems is the RL room. Then came MAP04 and... yeah. A relatively small room, and a Cyber came to visit me while I had 60 cells. You probably know what happened.

It's alright, I suppose. I'm satisfied as I've managed to survive the dreadful traps on MAP01 even on UV. It looks a really fun megawad, and it's blazingly beautiful too, but it's just not my cup of tea. 

c-shock2_naza.zip

For last year, 2017, I didn't make my goal of 50% max points.  I think I was around 44% so I fell short.  This year I will set the same goal, and hopefully make it this time.

I'm gonna go in blind this month, when I get around to it.  Will Map01 start room be a square room with 150 Revenants right off the bat?  I don't even know.

10 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I challenge @Steve D to a keyboarders only duel!

"The Keyboard Kup".

Let the games begin...

I would like a rivalry of some sort as well, since when you lose you feel more down about your run than usual but you give it your all next time and if you win you are more satisfied than normally! 

Edited by NaZa : clarifiqaton

3 minutes ago, dannebubinga said:

I'm fine thank you! And you?

Sorry for hijacking thread

I am good. And it's okay to hijack a thread, in my opinion.

Are you up to any exciting doom things?

1 minute ago, Grain of Salt said:

I am good. And it's okay to hijack a thread, in my opinion.

Are you up to any exciting doom things?

Since I'm the author of CS, I now claim this thread! 

No, nothing doom-related at all I'm afraid :(

2 minutes ago, dannebubinga said:

Since I'm the author of CS, I now claim this thread! 

No, nothing doom-related at all I'm afraid :(

Well I think you've earned a bit of a break :3

Forgot I had the bfg and died in a trap that was clearly bfg oriented. Map04, I have no interest into using more "lives" and even less into lowering the difficulty so this is my run, category 2

scanciron-map04.zip

Hmm, I'll include the UV-only runs on the board for posterity and because there's definitely a purity of Ironman spirit in sticking to the OS rule, but I'm undecided on whether they should actually affect the runs of other HNTR death folk for points. They're "incomplete" as far as the rest of the pool goes... unless the player actually survives the set. I'll tag them as an aside for the time being.

Discussion welcome on this point. I'm happy to talk about any concerns over this format in general, as well.

10 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Discussion welcome on this point.

Maybe just "You get three lives; first life must be on UV, second must be on HMP or higher, third must be on HNTR or higher.  You don't get any special consideration in the rankings for playing at higher than the minimum difficulty setting".  It keeps it simple for ranking purposes on your end without disqualifying the masochists from participating :)

Category is 2, I played this WAD before and IIRC I gave up after the utterly exhausting nonsense that was map04. I dreaded playing that map again, guess Providence took pity on me...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ykhh55v525h5kiv/DWIronman18_JudgeDeadd-2.zip

Deaths at:

MAP01 (UV)

MAP02 (HMP)

MAP03 (HNTR), got myself stupidly stuck in a corner with an impenetrable wall of Revenants in front of me.

Embarrassingly bad demos for the most part. I'm too tired after New Year's.

I would like to make a proposal for the 1CC-rule set, since I firmly believe that it isn't very intuitive to wrap one's head around in terms of what the win condition actually is.

My idea is that how far people get on UV should be the single most important factor. It seems out of whack that somebody who beats the set on HMP after dying on map 02, for example, could get a better end result as someone who gets much farther on UV to begin with. That said, I think this 1CC idea would benefit greatly from employing a system based on brackets, in which how far you get on the highest skill setting is the most important factor.

To examplify this, let's say "player A" dies on map 5 for the first time, and nobody else get as far on UV, then that person should be the winner of this run. However, if "players BCD" die on map 04, they can still compete in a bracket of their own, to see who lasts longer, but they can't outmatch "player A" even if they finish the set on HMP by virtue loosing their first life earlier. By the same virtue, someone who dies on map 02 and then finishes the set can't outmatch "players BCD" respectively, due to having a bracket of his own.

So that's more or less the general idea, because it seems a bit odd that someone who rolls through on HMP from almost right off the bat can actually beat someone who gets farther on a higher setting.

I propose an unnecessarily complex scoring system where ranks are determined by:

5 x (# levels beaten on UV) + 3 x (# levels beaten on HMP) + 1 x (# levels beaten on HNTR).

In the event of a tie the winner is determined by how many revenants were killed in the last map played.

Agreed on Heels's system (which I think Capellan was proposing?): rather than basing the run on how far you get on any difficulty, the brackets should be weighted towards difficulty. This is because the player that gets to MAP06 on UV but then quits should technically be higher in the brackets skill-wise than someone that bites it early in UV/HMP, but then finishes the set with an arsenal bolstered by HNTR.

Here's how the leaderboard would look under this system:

1. Anca (died MAP04-UV, then quit)
  2. tourniquet (died MAP03-UV, died MAP04-HMP, died MAP05-HNTR)
  3. Anima Zero (died MAP03, died MAP03-HMP, died MAP04-HNTR)
  4. NaZa (died MAP02-UV, died MAP02-HMP, died MAP04-HNTR)
  5. JudgeDeadd (died MAP01-UV, died MAP02-HMP, died MAP03-HNTR)
  6. Guineu (died MAP01-UV, died MAP02-HMP, died MAP02-HNTR)

The easiest way to probably denote this is by doing it (X-Y-Z), where X is UV, Y is HMP, and Z is HNTR. So a simplified leaderboard is:

1. Anca (4-4-4)
  2. tourniquet (3-4-5)
  3. Anima Zero (3-3-4)
  4. NaZa (2-2-4)
  5. JudgeDeadd (1-2-3)
  6. Guineu (1-2-2)

So if in my hypothetical run I get to MAP03-UV and die, then MAP05-HMP then die, and then finish/Survive the set on HNTR, it'd place me (3-5-S) above tourniquet, but still below Anca because he got further on his first (UV) life. It would also allow anyone else that died on MAP03-UV to beat me on HMP as long as they get past MAP05.

Thank you for these suggestions. We've discussed it a bit on discord so you'll know I'm down with the changes. Thankfully it doesn't involve needing to re-record any runs!

I'll give it a day-or-so's buffer in case any other ideas or amendments present themselves. EDIT: Actually no I'll just pull the lever now.

Edited by Alfonzo

1 minute ago, Ribbiks said:

I propose an unnecessarily complex scoring system where ranks are determined by:

5 x (# levels beaten on UV) + 3 x (# levels beaten on HMP) + 1 x (# levels beaten on HNTR).

In the event of a tie the winner is determined by how many revenants were killed in the last map played.

rdwpa-Today at 8:37 PM

someone quickly sneak in a provision where the tiebreaker for reaching a level is the rank of the monster that kills you -- former human trooper deaths = best