Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shambles

[Map] Vertigo Temple

I present Vertigo Temple, a Doom 2 map for GZDoom.

With the use of Quake textures, the game takes on that same aesthetic, combined with the room-after-room action of Doom. The map is pretty lengthy, with plenty of areas to blast demons through.

• New Doom monsters that are beefed up and ready to kill
  • New objects and armor types to wear
  • No jumping or crouching, but feel free to look around and take in those Quake textures
  • 3 difficulties, each influencing the health and damage of the monsters (same monster and item placement)
  • New music and new sounds from familiar games
  • Two new weapons borrowed from Heretic 

• For Single-Player only
  • Made for GZDoom (Tested with V3)

[Some Shots]

SCREEN.png.8847b3edd071848ab8649b94105151c9.pngSCREEN5.png.1eec6db64279362271d201e49bf6cb11.pngSCREEN3.png.25d71f446fe35b73c132459ffb2f8460.pngSCREEN11.png.ff912b59447f986be5554c61c938af84.pngSCREEN7.png.cdb1d1765d865b4f7a128af6fb8c2b15.pngSCREEN6.png.eee06c9843532c0481948cdd45103d6c.png

Here's the idgames archive page for the download.

Thanks for trying my map out and I hope you enjoy it! I'd love some feedback.

Merry Christmas to the Doomworld community!

Really nice map! had fun playing it, i really like the quake/heretic like atmosphere it has. The only thing i noticed is that you give a bit too much of shotgun ammo early on in the level, you could cut some of those and add a secret backpack maybe ?

Played through to the end, and I thought it was great. The custom resources looked good, and I thought the heretic weapons fit in there really well. I thoroughly enjoyed this wad, and would highly recommend it. Great job !

Played through the map, and it's certainly not bad. Liked the texture work, and the level design was great as well, if somewhat simplistic. The difficulty was also perfect - not boringly easy, but not impossibly hard either. My only gripe is that the end boss was disappointingly easy.

That was a fun map; with a good use of the Quake texture theme. I really liked the teleport dimension and the destroyed wall. That said, the non-unpegged door tracks did annoy me throughout, watch out for these when mapping.

I didn't really get the point of replacing the rocket launcher with a Heretic weapon; I'm pretty sure a rocket launcher thematically fits well into Quake. ;) Same for the hellstaff, which is basically just a plasma rifle reskin. I think importing Heretic weapons would make more sense if you use those that have a different effect, like the crossbow, the firemace, or any of the tomed weapons.

About the custom enemies, I liked the death of the stone baron. It made me laugh the first time.

39 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

The sky looks eerily similar to the vertex-shaded backgrounds in Spyro.

End credits say "Skybox image from Spyro the Dragon with the use of Spyro World Viewer".

You'll need GZDoom v3. You can play in software mode if you want something that looks like ZDoom.

:O What an awesome map!The only thing i have a problem with this map is that the lighting looks like it was made by me XD (I am bad at lighting) so making rooms with more varied light levels in you next map/s is recommended :) besides that i like everything about it. 9/10 :D 

2 hours ago, Gez said:

You'll need GZDoom v3. You can play in software mode if you want something that looks like ZDoom.

GZDoom dosen't show sprites, no weapons or demons, don't know how to fix that.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback! I'm glad my WAD is being enjoyed (for the most part)! I appreciate the points of critique :)

And yes, the sky is from the first Spyro. Tree Tops!

This is the spiffiest map I've played in awhile, man. I always love Doom and Quake mixtures. Could use a better music track though: something with better ambiance and loud enough to hear over the ambient noises.

17 hours ago, Impie said:

This is the spiffiest map I've played in awhile, man. I always love Doom and Quake mixtures. Could use a better music track though: something with better ambiance and loud enough to hear over the ambient noises.

Thanks a lot, man. I'm glad you like it; really appreciate it. Yeah, I totally see what you mean. I don't have the best musical talent and thought I'd give it a shot anyway!

Hey just played this. Had to because I love Quake and so I really liked the atmosphere. But at some points it could be more detailed. Like outside, the walls of the building are bit too bland. How about some windows or some roof part?

Also personally I didn't like how there was a massive fight in the middle of my playthrough and then the map proceeds to have only smaller encounters in small rooms. Shouldn't the big and intense fight be at the end? The boss fight was cool but because of the other slaughter part it felt like I played it out of order. Might be just my impression. Otherwise, it was a enjoyable playthrough.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, Lampenpam said:

Hey just played this. Had to because I love Quake and so I really liked the atmosphere. But at some points it could be more detailed. Like outside, the walls of the building are bit too bland. How about some windows or some roof part?

Also personally I didn't like how there was a massive fight in the middle of my playthrough and then the map proceeds to have only smaller encounters in small rooms. Shouldn't the big and intense fight be at the end? The boss fight was cool but because of the other slaughter part it felt like I played it out of order. Might be just my impression. Otherwise, it was a enjoyable playthrough.

Thanks a lot for the input. I totally know what you mean; overall I'm still trying to simply get better at detailing, and in hindsight I really could have done more. For my next project, I'll definitely try to add more attention to detail!

The swarm encounter outside was meant to be a deviation from the small encounters you were talking about; spicing it up, a little. But again, I see what you mean. I tried compensating for the small encounters by adding harder and harder enemies without making it unfair. But it wouldn't have hurt to maybe sprinkle in another big fight. There was actually going to be one in the very last room before the boss, but I deemed it too unfair (since it was such a close-quarters fight).

Thanks a lot for the feedback though. I really appreciate it. Hopefully my next project will really build upon from the shortcomings of this WAD.