Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Combat Shock 2

15 hours ago, Steve D said:

About time you showed up! Let's see if either of us can get out of Map01. ;)

Map 01 really isn't that hard (and neither is 02, if you're willing to be a bit patient and know that one kinda prickly chaingunner ambush early is coming).  I haven't played lower skill settings of this wad, but I can't imagine that you'll blow all three lives right at the start.

Map 03 is a fucking beast, though, and only Krypto/DotW tier survivalists have a chance of getting through Map 04 on UV in an Ironman format.

3 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

You and @Jaws In Space aren't including me??? This is like the only realm where I can participate and do well!

You're always welcome in this part of town, Dobu. Of course, it was Jaws who threw out the challenge and he might have simply forgotten that you're a keyboarder, or he just wanted to kick my butt specifically. :D  Now all we need is for mork and SAV88 to show up. ;)

10 hours ago, Cynical said:

Map 01 really isn't that hard (and neither is 02, if you're willing to be a bit patient and know that one kinda prickly chaingunner ambush early is coming).  I haven't played lower skill settings of this wad, but I can't imagine that you'll blow all three lives right at the start.

Map 03 is a fucking beast, though, and only Krypto/DotW tier survivalists have a chance of getting through Map 04 on UV in an Ironman format.

Do you mean an unprepared run? For a lot of players (top-10%-ish of the community), a run with a modest amount of prep/practice should have a really good chance of getting at least as far as 06 on UV.

11 hours ago, Cynical said:

After watching Eris's run, I don't like my odds of getting through Map01 on UV, if at all. But I'll do my practice runs. In a way, dying twice on Map01 might be the best thing for me since I can take that PG forward on HNTR, and maybe get a couple more maps in. So I reckon I'll have to practice on every difficulty, starting with UV. But after almost getting to the end of DTWiD, I'm looking at a whole different animal here. I'm going into the ring with danne and danne is throwing some mean KO hooks. No matter how much I practice, it'll be lights out for me in short order, I'm afraid. At least it'll be fun while it lasts.

Run complete with 2-4-5. This is a prepared run: I probed into a few of the maps on various skill settings after deciding I'd choose it for the month and then followed it up with a play-through of 01, 02 and 03.

Spoiler

1. First death on map02 was silly and could have been avoided. I had the ground level monsters pretty well lassoed and was playing it cool by swinging around the back side of the main structure. The RK pillar was flipped. A little bit of brain power would have told me that the arch-vile I'd left behind was bunched up with the rest of the revenants against the mid-tex barricade. I ran around the perimeter to try and further manipulate the monster movements and forgot it was there. Wandered too far into open space and couldn't back out in time. Blammo.
  2. Map04. The YK fight — where Ancalagon snuffed it, only I was using the BFG and on a lower skill setting. Picked a bad moment to back up into the available corner of the room with significant cover as I had little to no cell ammo and got swamped by Hell Knights trying to fight my way out.
  3. After wondering where the missing component to the (final?) fight was after a couple of minutes, it finally showed up: revenants and imps from all sides. A few lazy attempts at dodging put me in the red while I was trying to shepherd them around, and I was forced to wade out into the lava to grab a soulsphere. Getting back in was a problem, though it really shouldn't have been. I reserved my final dodging failure for a rogue imp fireball which snuffed out my final attempt at victory. Bloody forty minute map, too, so that pissed me off royally.

Covered a bit of ground in the WAD but that early death puts me in very ordinary stead. Good luck to all you fellow slaughter rookies!

Edited by Alfonzo

On 1/1/2018 at 7:02 AM, Alfonzo said:

(1-2-2)guineu - With his both seeing and avoiding the HNTR-only megasphere, I can only assume that guineu hasn't taken his insulin.

I'm the kind of person that never used Megaelixirs on Final Fantasy always holding them for a "perfect moment". I often do the same in Doom with big pick ups.

Watched my own demo and there were actually 2 Megaspheres in the area were I died D:

Your remaining HNTR attempt lies in waiting if you ever want to don that suit of cardboard, Eris!

1 hour ago, guineu said:

I'm the kind of person that never used Megaelixirs on Final Fantasy always holding them for a "perfect moment". I often do the same in Doom with big pick ups.

You and me both sir, heh.  Still kicking myself for not doing as well as I could have this month due to my epic failure.  May try a "for fun" attempt to see how far I get today for kicks and giggles.

This mapset is way past my skill level.

Thought about preparing but decided it wasn't worth the time investment.  So type 1 - blind

I died on map 1, all three times.  Only attaching UV attempt.  I'm erasing the evidence of my degree of failure of the others from existence.  Especially the HMP attempt, all 5 kb of it.

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4. -complevel 9

dwiron_cshock2uv_cnr.zip

DEAD (1-1-5): noisy_c-shock2_ironman.zip

Category: [1] or [3] depending on how you look at it.

*Category*: I was trying to do a blind run [1], but accidentally typed '-skill 1' instead of '-skill 4'; didn't realize until I killed a dozen monsters and felt suspicious.  I tabbed out to double-check and saw my error.  I don't think the mistake "helped" me for my actual UV run, so I dunno.  The -skill 1 demo is included in zip.

UV: lol who put those metal bars there.

HMP: lol who put that archvile there.

HNTR: lol who put that Map01 exit there, literally right behind that archvile.

...two hours later...

I died at what I assume to be the last fight (the actually hard one) at the end of Map05.

Went in blind for these maps. UV went about as well as expected with a death just a few seconds in. HMP was a bit better, but I still died on map 1. Finally met my end on HNTR at map 3, I don't know how I even got that far seeing as I somehow completely forgot how to dodge cyberdemon rockets, seriously I take like 4 to the face here.

Jaws Demos

Category 1: completely blind run. Died in maps 1-1-3. Second death was extremely unnecessary, as I took a cyber rocket while fumbling around for my plasma gun. :-\ Other than that, I guess these demos are a fair assessment of my Doom skills (or lack thereof).

42ph_cshock_ironman.zip

Category 1 (first time playing), died in map 2 ( 2-2-2 )
I'll probably stick to UV only next time. I was too annoyed to continue like nothing happened.

A category 2 run

So;

UV - Dead on map 2, didn't make it far on this map

HMP - Dead on map 2. this was hilariously short

HNTR - Dead on Map 3, died on the final battle

So in short, yeah I sucked badly here.

cshock2cb.zip

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218943798 = (1-4-4) Category 1 run, was pretty blind bar briefly loading the start areas of a few maps.

Died to map 1 on UV to a Cacodemon after a poor start and panicking when the Vile showed up.

Died to map 4 on HMP to a Cyberdemon after remembering infinite height cacodemons were a thing, and failing to dodge a Cyber rocket in the corner.

Died to map 4 on HNTR after pretty much giving up and realising I'd made a poor start. Also I'm not used to playing infinite height slaughtermaps in an Ironman.

A few close calls on map 2/3 to drag this run out a bit, but I feel my performance was alright after being a bit shell-shocked with map 1 on UV. I'll have to hope both mutt and dragonfly don't clear map 1 on UV to have any chance in this month's Britbowl session.

Also I'm calling out dannebubinga as being a chicken for not wanting to Ironman his own wad. CLUCK CLUCK! 

I think I'll hope on twitch in the next couple of days for my run. I'm hoping to smash past at least map01 on UV but looking at it, I feel it's unlikely I'll do that. Map02 will certainly kill me heh, so this month's Britbowl is more than likely based on that map01 performance.

Well then, that was an exciting set of maps. Shame I am pretty poor at this "Playing Doom" thing.

(2-2-3) Catergory 2 run // VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/220517022

UV: Dead on map02,

HMP: Dead on map02, (eugh, no progress)

HNTR: Dead on map03.

I did record demos, but because I reused the same parameters, only changing the skill/warp numbers, I only have the HNTR segment, so the twitch VOD will have to do. Sorry! Lesson learned.

I love the graphic you've put together for this event, @Dragonfly. Gives the whole thing a bit of prestige factor.

Do you guys have some sort of agreement when it comes to practicing for runs post-announcement? What about watching a competitor's stream for a set you're otherwise blind to? Obviously the wider comp is only loosely that, which is why we allow for all sorts of ports and setups and categories of familiarity, but as a game within a game maybe you can tighten the rules between you. I noticed that @Suitepee said that he'd at least inspect the opening map for a particularly difficult set using the 1cc rule set, in future.

Last we discussed there was little ruling, just the same as ironman's rules. I feel we should discuss the idea of practice; but since I'm the latecomer to the party I am happy to "do as I'm told" haha.

UV 01-03 in 61:31, HMP skipped, HNTR 04-05 in 85:14, total 2:26:45 (prepared)

map    skill  kills      live  items  secr  time      total
-----------------------------------------------------------
MAP01  UV     212/212    0     52/52  4/4   17:56+30  17:56
MAP02  UV     378/363    0     6/6    2/2   26:07+15  44:03
MAP03  UV     503/614    112   5/5    2/2   17:28+14  61:31
MAP04  HMP    0/2401     2401  0/12   0/0   0:00+02    0:00
MAP04  HNTR   2181/2141  40    9/14   0/0   27:02+00  27:02
MAP05  HNTR   3025/3025  0     25/29  0/0   58:12+16  85:14

I did maps 01-03 on UV. These allowed some form of retreat to a safe location surprisingly often, but inevitably devolve into arena lock-ins. 03 being the worst offender. I then did maps 04-05 on HNTR for fun. I skipped HMP (2-tic demo recorded for strict rule compliance / avoidance of doubt, although the intention should be obvious).

Hello Full Metal Jacket guys here!

What might be better & more pleasant than to start a year with an attempt to one-try-blind-single-segment-run nothing but Clusterfuck 2 Combat Shock 2? Nothing, fosure. This is the first time I'm participating in DWIronman and oh Gods, why only I've never heard about this League before. Now planning to submit here each month/WAD, huh.

I think I watched a couple of CS2 UV-Maxes late summer, so Cat 2 this time. To be honest, 1CC does not attract me, and neither HMP or HNTR do, so only UV here to keep the Trve Spirit. With a silly and totally redundant death on MAP02, though. Time to get back to my bad romance with Scythe MAP30 UV-Max TAS, should think.

Additionally to the demo lump itself, I've rendered it in 4K@60fps with genuine Roland SC-55 on backing vocals if anyone is interested:

Also, @Killer5 is definitely (offcially?) the DWIrondemon Mastermind since now. It might be @dannebubinga is already thinking of what he did wrong and why this turned out such walk in a park for him.

dwic-s2.zip

Category 3. I watched lots of Ironman playthrough streams on Twitch. And I even made some practice runs for first two levels, since I didn't expect to go further than that, before the actual demo recording. So this is my first cat 3 attempt for Ironman League.

Difficulty - Level - Total record time - kills

UV - MAP03 - 56:36 - 347/614
HMP - MAP05 - 77:39 - 357/3490
HNTR - MAP05 - 23:08 - 702/3025

antares_Ironman_CS2.zip

My first Ironman. In solo, I generally play in HMP with saves, so this is a new concept to me. Also, I haven't play Combat Shock II before but I have fun playing it (love the music of map 03). For the categories, map 1 was half-blind (the final fight with the cyberdemon was blind) and the other maps were blind. So in this case, I don't really know about the category.

Deaths :

Spoiler

* UV -> In map 02, I failed miserably trying to make infights between the cyberdemon, the hellknights and the revenants. Died to hellknights.
* HMP -> I was a bit more nervous in this session. In map 03, I made a really bad decision in the rocket launcher room and I died to an arachnotron after being weaken by archviles.
* HTNR -> Then again, in the end of map 04, I made a really stupid decision and I died to a arachnotron. I was like "Why I did this ?!". Otherwise, I find the maps pretty easy in this difficulty.

File : Malrionn_Ironman_c-shock2.zip