Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Brutal Doom wins mod of the year on Mod DB

4 hours ago, Rachael said:

You want to know the best thing to do in that case, Mark, when you can't find who made something?

Don't use it.

Yet a lot of wads tend to have music from unknown sources. Or from known, but commercial copyrighted sources and no one bats an eye.

I'll try to resolve issues in my WIP, but I guess I'll either have to cope with music I like less, or become a musician...

4 hours ago, Phade102 said:

as well as promote a mod that basically was used temporarily to damage peoples computers (Forcing 50% CPU usage is out of order, it doesnt matter how much.)

This is a totally flawed argument. Forcing 50% CPU usage can't damage computers.

Shit and I though people who invested in Bitcoin were loud. This guy is on a whole other level of the massive dong spectrum.

Just now, printz said:

I'll try to resolve issues in my WIP, but I guess I'll either have to cope with music I like less, or become a musician...

Don't worry, you're not the author of a popular mod that this community doesn't like, it won't be a problem.

10 hours ago, Linguica said:

So from what I understand, the script detects if Project Brutality is loaded, and if it is, then spawns approximately 8 billion particle effects, thereby tanking the user's computer? How is that different from the zip bombs uploaded by terrywadders that helped result in them being banned from the /idgames archive?

Yeesh, that's a Hell of a "prank". I know I'm late to the party but seriously? That's just ridiculous, I can't believe I'm saying this but it makes those stupid Terry Trap Wads seem reasonable in comparison. At least those aren't designed to make the source port crash. This has to be the one situation I've seen where making it a Terry Trap would have been the more reasonable option.

25 minutes ago, printz said:

Yet a lot of wads tend to have music from unknown sources. Or from known, but commercial copyrighted sources and no one bats an eye.

This is a totally flawed argument. Forcing 50% CPU usage can't damage computers.

It SHOULDNT be forcing that much. Thats what I trying to get at, but obviously I said it wrong. He intentionally coded in a bug that would cause that issue, and its completely out of order.

Even if you can argue it can't actually damage computers, which you can't know for sure because everybody's situation is different and that extra strain might damage someone's hardware, but for the sake of argument let's say it can't. It's still unbelievably petty to forcefully crash the source port just because you're having issues with the developers of Project Brutality. There are many ways you could have had it react to Project Brutality that are actually humorous and aren't akin to malware. Make the player instantly die or make their only weapon be a pathetic squirt pistol that can't do anything. Hell, have an annoying announcer voice shout "Project Brutality can kiss my ass!" every 2 seconds, that would have been funnier and less petty than this.

9 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I have to update the file today to fix an exploit that breaks some maps, and I will have this code removed. Jesus christ, you people have no sense of humor.

Nobody finds this funny because they aren't involved in your own personal beef with the PB devs. If you want the community to care about what happened, you can work towards it by reaching out for help or advice, not by putting on a backhanded spectacle.

I don't know the whole story, obviously. But based on your previous reputation, I get the impression that you set yourself up for this.

Edited by GuyMcBrofist

5 hours ago, Phade102 said:

lets face facts. @Sergeant_Mark_IV Has proven himself to be a colossal douchebag when it comes to his mod. he cares very little about the people who use it, and more about the people who abuse it, because he has a very fragile ego that can reflect badly on his self esteem. The mod may be #1 on Moddb, but the author is definitely much lower, in terms of humanity, and just general respect. Making an update that intentionally crashes if something else is used on it is pathetic. Even Graf Zahl, with all his numerous issues is a better person than Mark, so the only thing I have to ask is this.

...what's your problem? I've heard people talk about Hitler with less hate. Yo, you're throwing serious insults here. You're actually coming off as more of a douchebag than you're claiming Mark to be.

I dunno, to me Mark seems like a genuinely badass guy, honestly.

6 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

obscure wads which doesn't even feature actual credits lists and instead issues a "thanks for the creators of the resources used on this wad, whoever you are", or "Thanks to Realm667 for the custom resources".

The Realm667 one is particularly annoying, since any resource you download from there will have credits included with it, so just going "oh, uh, it's from Realm667" is just lazy.

10 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

I dunno, to me Mark seems like a genuinely badass guy, honestly.

Give it time. You'll either see him reveal himself as the asshole he is or reveal yourself as the same type of asshole that uses the same type of logic to justify misbehavior.

I think some of the people here need to chillax just a little bit. Reacting like that isn't helpful for their own message.

If banning results in one less person who pretty much follows Terrywad creators mentality, I'm all for it. Also - speaking from experience, there are occurrences where, if a CPU usage is at 100%, the system will grind to a halt. Resulting in Windows becoming unresponsive / slow to open files or executes - such as Task Manager. During such slow downs, the system becomes more prone to loss of data if the user have to force restart the computer.

Ugh, the amount of condescending people is just too damn high. The more condescending you are the more you piss him off.

Hello - none of us peoples ever made the basic game which

is Doom nor asked for any permissions about modifying it nor? 

So imo. who releases such stuffs - and there are very many

stuffs being released - automatically agrees to see them used

in other peoples projects aswell. 

All this worthless crediting name referals also appears

non-sensish- better be to simply name all of the used stuffs

with their actual wad names this way modders who put a

readme inem were clearly on the advantage somehow! 

P.S.: (.. not to have been

sarcastic or something ...)!

This will probably sound retarded and lazy as all heck but...

I get the feeling that banning Sarge will probably cause more problems rather than fixing things. It's just a gut feeling I have rather than something backed up by actual logic.

1 hour ago, Hellser said:

If banning results in one less person who pretty much follows Terrywad creators mentality, I'm all for it.

That is what I said, at no point was that a please nor an ask. That was a opinion - nor have I seen anyone else ask for a ban on this page. 

6 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I think some of the people here need to chillax just a little bit. Reacting like that isn't helpful for their own message.

Am sure playing chillax makes people more angry than relaxed.

You may say - hes such an disgusting one who seduces

young players or others to gain even bader publicity for

video gaming as such - but surely not - i want my graphic

musics ect. back in the place where it was uploaded! 

Either way, is it really a good idea to let him get away with this without some kind of real punishment? He essentially released malware designed to crash a program and spike up CPU usage. Kinda sends the message that, because his mod's popular, he can get away with more because I seriously doubt a lesser known person would have gotten away if they created a system where their own mod detects Brutal Doom and does something similar. Terry Trap Wads were banned for less than this. I'm not getting emotional about this, I'm just thinking about the kind of precedent this sets where he gets away with something just because he's Sargent Mark.

40 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

So, now you backset mods believe I should be banned... for something that did not happen inside this community... and for breaking what forum rule exactly?

...forum rule? What's that? :]

28 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Either way, is it really a good idea to let him get away with this without some kind of real punishment?

Isn't it obvious that nobody wants to consider his perspective for a moment before posting their angry tirade is punishment enough? I would not want to be in Sgt's shoes right now, and this opinion is completely independent of whether what he did / is currently doing is wrong or not.

Edited by 40oz