Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Harvey

I beat Doom 2!

Before I started my Doom 2 quest I saw the "What is your favorite IWAD" post where people favored Plutonia. So I did try it, but after seeing revenants on level 2 I was too daunted to persevere. 

I'll definitely accept your challenge, but after a break to hone my skills in some community wads. 

Revenants on Map02? There's some on Map01 on UV. Regardless. Congratulations, you've beaten Doom II. Here's an internet cookie!

good work :)) playing saveless i always die in the factory somehow

probably because the level gives you eleventy berserk packs and I always resolve to use them and then get destroyed by large hitbox monsters

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

Now do Plutonia UV pistol starts no saves.

I dare you.

Would be a fun challenge

Spoiler

Wait... is this... difficult? Please do Plutonia UV -Fast instead.

10 hours ago, Hellser said:

Revenants on Map02? There's some on Map01 on UV. Regardless. Congratulations, you've beaten Doom II. Here's an internet cookie!

Oh shoot, that's right. There was even an archvile and pain elemental!

Anyway, thanks. Nom nom nom.

10 hours ago, yakfak said:

good work :)) playing saveless i always die in the factory somehow

probably because the level gives you eleventy berserk packs and I always resolve to use them and then get destroyed by large hitbox monsters

Thanks, I probably played that map 3 or 4 times. I ended up ignoring most of the outer monsters... the mapper probably wanted the player to initiate an infight between the arachnotron and the horde of imps at the beginning, but I said nope, got the box of shells and got out. Why punch monsters, or even fight them, when you can flee to safety? 

Well done on beating the best game ever!

For Plutonia: it's tough, but fair. A truly fantastic game, too. I sincerely recommend it.

Next stop on your quest to be the Very Best that No One Ever Was: Brute-force Scythe on UV with pistol starts! That ought to help hone your Dooming senses. The difficulty curve is excellent too - the set starts off rather gentle, but expect each map to be harder than the last. The strategies you learn in the earlier maps will most certainly help in the later maps. Have fun!

I always hated the final boss. I'd prefer a new real monster, than having to time those rockets and failing again. Now, the icon of sin has stuck on almost ever Doom 2 megawad, and I am happy for the very few ones that don't have it as final level and rather have a regular cybie/spidie fight or something.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:05 AM, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

Beat Okuplok's slaughter map next.

no, you can't mention that wad. that's cheating.

I'll give scythe a shot before Plutonia then. I remember why level two was the ending point of my effort now; it wasn't the revenants, but the invisible bridge bit. It seemed that I was required to grind a bit harder than I wanted in that IWAD. But, since you think it's fair and it's a classic from id, I'll definitely conquer it sometime. Hopefully I'll be better prepared after scythe. Congratulations to those who've congratulated me, you're congratulatory nature is appreciated! 

On 1/2/2018 at 11:54 PM, Whiskey said:

Congraturulations.

You have defeeted the icon of sin

The story is happy end

Thank you

Congraturulations.

You have defeeted the icon of sin.

War was ending.

All your demons are belong to me!

For Great Injustice!

Launch All Instagib!

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

I'll give scythe a shot before Plutonia then.

If you're going for a better difficulty curve, I recommend doing Plutonia first. The third episode of Scythe is rather difficult. I don't know what category you do. If UV Speed, I think Scythe is fine, but if you are going for UV Max, Scythe should be after Plutonia.

Well Garrett, the timing of my reading of your post in coincidental, as I've just encountered some speed difficulty in scythe level 15. I think it's still episode 2 as well... I've made it too far to succumb to the forces of hell now, though. Wish me the valiance of 8 kings, for I press onward at dawn! Huzzah!

On 1/4/2018 at 2:03 AM, Optimus said:

I always hated the final boss. I'd prefer a new real monster, than having to time those rockets and failing again. Now, the icon of sin has stuck on almost ever Doom 2 megawad, and I am happy for the very few ones that don't have it as final level and rather have a regular cybie/spidie fight or something.

I agree and disagree; I'll cede you the points the icon of sin fight is neither graphically impressive or strategically involved, but damn if it isn't novel. I can't think of any other games that have a texture as the final boss. It's also symbolic. Since it's a wall it cannot be cornered. Since it's massive heighth requires a lift for you to reach it eye to eye, it intimidates. These are only some of the daunting effects that are evoked by this unique design.  

28 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Well Garrett, the timing of my reading of your post in coincidental, as I've just encountered some speed difficulty in scythe level 15. I think it's still episode 2 as well... I've made it too far to succumb to the forces of hell now, though. Wish me the valiance of 8 kings, for I press onward at dawn! Huzzah!

If you're not going for 100% kills, most of the maps are fine because you don't need to. Good luck on later maps though, you need it.

I'm gonna use this opportunity to proclaim:

Fuck Nirvana, FUCK Barrels O' Fun, and fuck 'episode 3' of Doom 2 in general.

Edit: Monster Condo is okay tho.

Edited by TurrboAnklet

Although it's not Doom, if anyone here really wants a gaming challenge that rivals Plutonia, play Konami's Gradius III (Japan version) in Mame or Capcom's Ghosts N Goblins, the latter of which requires you to beat it twice.

Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden trilogy was also notorious for its difficulty.

There was no level in Doom 2 as difficult as scythe's level 22. It's disappointing because until then, scythe was very enjoyable. After scores of failed attempts, I'm going to switch to Plutonia. I'll keep you posted on how that'll be going; I know you're all anticipating and captivated by my doom endeavors. 

Scythe does get very hard near the end. Hopefully you'll return to it some day! Keep us posted on your plutonia progress as well, I'm finding this oddly entertaining.

My next recommendation after Plutonia would have to be Memento Mori! Once you complete MM, I'd say you have the skills necessary to give just about any classic mapset a try:

Edited by Doomkid

On 7/24/2016 at 10:36 AM, Doomkid said:

(oops double post - Removed some slaughter wads that are WAY harder than Scythe from this list as well. That stuff can wait!)

Edited by Doomkid

Deciding to continue scythe, I've embraced doom as less an enjoyable recreation and more a viscerally grueling ordeal, something I'd imagine could be likened to coal mining or African carpentry, minus the pay. Since my hatred for level 23 "anger" is very real, I can only imagine what adjective I'll deem appropriate for the following level "hatred." However, that level must wait until tomorrow, or perhaps a year or two, until I've recovered from current scythe induced trauma. 

Also, thanks for the comprehensive list of wads. I'm assuming you've collated them for my enjoyment too, which is very thoughtful! At this rate, that will last me years.