Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Flaws in Doom 3 : BFG Edition.

not poor physics, but somewhat limited.

From Doomwiki:

Somewhat limited use of physics, which was improved significantly in the Resurrection of Evil expansion.

It was improved in Doom 3 RoE.

Limited use of physics possibly means the game doesn't take full advantage of physics, Like doesn't make use of it's enhanced physics for level gimmicks and stuff like that.

Well, I've no idea what exactly they expected to see honestly, maybe it doesn't use them as much as HL2 did in various scenes and puzzles (plus the gravity gun and other kinds of fun and madness in Ravenholm) to show its real power, but I find them in no way underused or so.

I remember RoE getting some flak for its grabber gun and id stating it was an idea they threw around for Doom 3 before they ever saw HL2's gravity gun.

I haven't played enough BFG to feel strongly about much, but the armor-mounted flashlight was unnecessary. The darkness of Doom 3 has always been exaggerated. While there are a lot of very dark areas, the designers put plenty of visual cues in so that you can navigate just fine without it. The main use of the flashlight is to check some dark corners and closets here and there, that's really about it.

I actually prefer BFG Edition simply because it makes the game much faster paced. I've played it so much I remember enemy spawns and a good number of security codes so I end up speedrunning the first half of the game.

The Martian Buddy website being down and them simply sending a message to your PDA is lame because the fourth wall break rewarded you with a weapon early, it was a cool concept.

The RoE arcade games being replaced was also lame.

On 1/3/2018 at 10:59 PM, GuyMcBrofist said:

...the armor-mounted flashlight was unnecessary...

it breaks the game specially on the hell parts, where you were supposed to have no means to illuminate for yourself. As a matter of fact, there's one part in hell where you can see some wrong texturing if you shine your flashlight on a surface that was otherwise meant to remain totally dark

They should have just called the bloody thing DOOM 3: Noob Friendly Edition. What a cash grabbing joke.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition has many flaws but the two that ticked me off the most are the ones I thought were my favorite parts of Resurrection of Evil.

The enviro suit sequence in Erebus Research - Level 5

The effect was quite cool & it surprised me first time I played it on the 2005 version. Not to mention the tensity of constant hunt for the oxygen tanks with numerous monsters in the sewers with the most menacing of all - Mancubi.

BFG Edition removes the tensity & now, it's just your typical level.

The green Hellish part in Hell

If you remember the part where you teleport into the greenish hell area with few imps & many hell knights & mancubi and how tough it was first time playing it without The Artifact, but rewarding if you chose that way to beat it, well.... it's gone.

I haven't looked for an answer to these two changes but I assume it's because "they were too hard" or due to limitations of the collection but I think the latter is bull.

Mounted flashlight doesn't bother me & neither did as the item/weapon.

I also noticed that enemies in some areas, notably vulgars, were completely removed. As I have a good memory of some monsters' locations, the difference was noticeable immediately. For example: In Phobos Labs - Sector 2: Molecular Research, in the offices when you pick up the PDA, many revenants & vulgars teleport.

BFG edition has fewer. Or the recreation/pub area with the arcade machine in the same level, I remember in 2005 version, about 9 or 10 vulgars appear along with the revenants. BFG edition has none. Just revenants.

It's dumbed down for some reason. Oh & Doom 2 secret levels censored by completely stripping off of Nazi material.......except new Wolfenstein games have it excluding the German version.

But hey, I get to play Lost Mission & No Rest For The Living which were quite good additions. This could've been one of the best collections if it wasn't for such dumb decisions.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:50 AM, dmg_64 said:

It's not me who went off-topic, I'm just responding to you.

You did wander off-topic. No worries it happens to the best of us at times especially when the thread becomes a few pages in length.  A good trick is to re-read the author's post so you don't lose track of the objective. Keep that in mind please.

8 hours ago, MK-ULTRA said:

My girlfriend loves men who have a "BFG Edition" if you know what I mean ;-). 

Either you're royaldj, or he inspired you to register and start posting.

i really dont know what you mean. Edition means "particular form of some instance" so like your BFG Edition would be like...another you. A clone of you.

I think we can all agree that the BFG Edition was a big disaster & useless release. The only redeeming factor would be the included "Lost Levels". Was there any other release besides the BFG Edition that included these levels?

The biggest flaw in Doom 3 BFG Edition is that, yes they removed the flashlight mechanic, and they called The Ultimate Doom simply Doom, but it still was good enough (for me anyways). 

The flashlight, sure it may not be like the original, but it has a timer until it shuts off.

22 hours ago, MK-ULTRA said:

My girlfriend loves men who have a "BFG Edition" if you know what I mean ;-). 

Sorry, but my mind went south

3 hours ago, Don_Faparotti said:

I think we can all agree that the BFG Edition was a big disaster & useless release. The only redeeming factor would be the included "Lost Levels". Was there any other release besides the BFG Edition that included these levels?

It was released exclusively for the BFG Edition

The only thing I liked about the BFG edition is the inclusion of achievements. But every other change made the game worse, in my opinion. Mounted flashlight, doubled ammo pickups, removed/simplified entire sections from Resurection of Evil (most likely because they thought those parts would be too difficult for casual console players). On top of all that, The Lost Mission, while a decent map pack, features a lot of recycled content from the original game/Resurection of Evil and, because of that, it feels more like a fan-made map pack to me.

5 hours ago, Redwind said:

The only thing I liked about the BFG edition is the inclusion of achievements. But every other change made the game worse, in my opinion. Mounted flashlight, doubled ammo pickups

I actually didn't mind the fact that they doubled ammo picks up. Really helps with pacing. Ammo was too scarce in the original D3 to the point where I'd find myself using the chainsaw & pistol at times. This forced you to listen to the audio logs so you can get access to those storage lockers for ammo. This is part of the reason why I fell asleep during my 2nd and final playthrough of the game.

I'm currently playing Doom 3 on Xbox, since I got my hands on the Collector's Edition, and I think I can point out personal pros and cons of BFG.

Pros:

-holy shit a fucking armor-mounted flashlight, that's what I always wanted

-moRE AMMO SO YOUR GUNS CAN ACTUALLY DO THINGS AAAA (no seriously this is one of my favorite parts of BFG)

-New Doom II stuff

-New campaign

Cons:

-Copyrighted math symbols (mostly a shitpost, yes, but the pill icon is ugly)

-WHO NEEDS A SECRET LEVEL WHEN YOU CAN MAKE IT NOTHING LIKE WHAT IT REFERENCES (the Wolf3D secret level)

-I now own a shitload of copies of Doom and Doom II

-I still can't see

-Top 10 Generic Sewer Levels

-Expands on the disappointment that Doom 3 was by making it more disappointing