Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saxon

What does a person need to start making doom games

So what do I need to start making doom games like what hardware's what programs Etc.... Can i use unreal 4 or three can I use blender or something like mud box. What do I need

I would recommend Doombuilder for maps and Slade for just about everything else. Programs like GIMP would also be useful, Blender is mostly if you plan to make 3D models or pre-rendered sprites of models.

If you're talking about making a Doom like game on a different engine, you need:

• Talent and skills.
  • Hire people to help you in making sounds and assets for your game.
  • 3D Modelling and Image editing Tools of your choice.
  • An engine of your choice, or make your own ?

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

So what do I need to start making doom games like what hardware's

First off, Doom is a game that's over 20 years old, and even back in the '90s, people were making levels and other mods for Doom. So the hardware requirements are pretty much "any computer manufactured in the past 20 years" - you'll be able to find an editor capable of running on your computer. Maybe for one of the modern best-of-breed editors (eg. DoomBuilder) you'll want something no more than 5 years old.

Can i use unreal 4 or three can I use blender or something like mud box.

Err... no. I don't know much about those tools but it's safe to say that they're made for modern games engines. 

what programs Etc....

It depends what you want to do. Most people start by experimenting with level editing, in which case you'll want one of eg.

Make sure you install a modern source port, most people recommend a ZDoom derivative for beginners. Check out the Editing Tutorials forum for some helpful guides, or maybe the ZDoom wiki.

As people progress to making more advanced mods they also tend to experiment with changing other things. In general with modern source ports you can change pretty much any detail of the game's behavior. For example you'll probably want to experiment with changing the textures and in-game graphics (menu, HUD, etc.) in which case you'll want to learn how to use an appropriate program for pixel-based raster graphics editing - the Gimp is a good free program for this. You might want to add advanced scripted behavior to your levels, in which case you'll want to learn to program in ACS. Other things you can change include sound effects and music, and things like the monster and weapon behavior - for ZDoom-based ports this involves editing something called DECORATE.

But to start off with, experiment with just making some basic levels - it's a lot simpler to make levels for Doom than more modern games like Unreal, and can also be a lot of fun!