Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Trooper

Most favorite Level from Episode 1

What is your most favorite level from Episode 1 and why? I like the Military Base because it's new to me and reminds me of Phobos Anomaly which I also dig! 

I'm going to have to go with Central Processing, it's got really catchy music and it has a fairly spacey and versatile level design. The fact that it's used in Old vs New FPS charts is a testament to that.

500x_fps.jpg

E1M5 is my favorite out of the bunch, the music definitely helps with the traps in the map's level design, especially the end of the level where is just gets dark and you have to go through a dark room with blinking lights.

I always thought E1M7 Computer Station kicked all kind of ass. It's a big map, atmospheric, and has a cool start area.

5 hours ago, MetroidJunkie said:

I'm going to have to go with Central Processing, it's got really catchy music and it has a fairly spacey and versatile level design. The fact that it's used in Old vs New FPS charts is a testament to that.

That's an overrated image. Command Control is one of the epitomes of classic fps level design due it's several alternative routes and how it often taunts you to abandon the main objective to get powerups.

Edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV

M4. Both level design and music. That song is catchy as ever, and I generally just like the open-route stuff going on in the beginning.

Off the top of my head probably E1M4 , not sure why. I generally really enjoy the whole of Knee Deep in the Dead

E1M4 Command Control easily. There is something unique about it. The central room with the blue key and the imps, the tight maze, rooms with high ceilings, the swastika room, e.t.c.

And the music in it is ok.

Honorable mentions:

E1M1 Hangar 18 of course. I play this map regularly and I love it. A really iconic Doom map.

E1M9 Military base. That is mainly because it has Hiding the Secrets, which is my all time favourite Doom song, but I also enjoy its level design.

E1M8. Despite being very short and simple I just really like the area where the Barons are located. E1M7 would be my second favorite from the episode.

E1M1 is iconic but E1M2 is one of my favorites since I remember that map most of the time 

I am split between E1M3 and E1M5. They are both very classic to me, E1M3 for their super secrets and exit to secret level and interconnectivity of areas, E1M5 for one of the most epic traps at the time, I remember I was watching my brother trying that part and having to retry again, I thought it was the hardest part of the episode at the time. And the memorable having to run over acid river beginning with monsters right after so it's harder to backtrack. And the double secret there in the trap room.

E1M5 has one of the most substantial encounters AND cool music AND a chainsaw

and I think it makes for the best experience when played on Nightmare difficulty

I adore E1M6's delicious secrets but the music on that level is much worse

Very difficult to pick. I find many of them solid but none of them significantly ahead of the pack. 

I would say my favorite is not E1M1, E1M2, E1M5, or E1M8. But I enjoy 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9 about equally.

Once again, I end up basing it more on the PSX version..

PSX M4 and 5 used to scare me so much, heh. The maze in M4 was really dark and green - and if the pinkies weren't scary enough, there were some pain elementals in there on UV too. Spectres were particularly scary across M5 and I can't really explain that one, but of course the last room is unforgettable. That map might have been where the nightmare spectre was introduced too.

I can remember the first time I found Military Base, a true wtf moment seeing that I'm suddenly on "Level 56." The console versions packed the imp bunker at the centre full of barrels which was awesome. A similar thing happened at the start of M8 where you get zombies instead of pinkies.

Those are like honourable mentions I suppose, but I think my favourite of all is M2, really fun map on PC, and maybe the most atmospheric on the PSX: M1 shows it's going to be a different take on Doom, but it really takes effect in M2. That's my Doom right there.

Ah, a tough question. I adore every map in E1, but the two which most influenced me are M3 and M7. They have essentially the same charms in their overall creepiness, incredible secrets, including chained secrets, and action-packed gameplay. M3 also has one of the best music tracks, though my favorite track is Suspense from M5.

If I had to pick just one, it would be M3, good old Toxin Refinery, simply because I encountered it first. It really blew me away with its combination of combat, mood and exploration.

On January 5, 2018 at 1:34 AM, Hellser said:

E1M8 is a Sandy and Tom Hall map. The rest of E1 is good ol' Romero.

Tom did E1M4 if my memory is correct