Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 10 - A Decade (v2 available)

Will be held on the 6th January, 2017, Myst.Haruko agreed I can hold it then as Pigeon 4 won't be held this month.

REFINED RULESET!

• In a PM conversation with another member, he pointed out that maybe the time limit is too strict and stressing people to hastily make a map. So I'm going to trial this format below. Also, because of making differences between other speedmapping sessions.
  • TIME LIMIT EXTENDED TO 24 HOURS! You'll have from 12 AM GMT, Saturday till 12 AM GMT, Sunday to complete your map. Because of that, there will be no second session. Just this one.
  • THEME REFINING! As this is mostly a trial session, I'll give you two main themes, only one of which you will have to implement (it will be a really broad theme, like church/castle/cave) and three additional restrictions/themes for each and one has to at least be used. Not this time around, so the themes will be normal this session.

DISCORD SERVER (join and chat): https://discord.gg/usQDVGd

v2: eagles10_v2.zip

Edited by NaZa : clarificat

Comment about the themes, maybe discuss a bit too. I'm open-minded.

Just now, bioshockfan90 said:

24hr speedmapping session? at that point I wouldn't call it speedmapping but sure, mark me down.

Yeah. Technically it could be classified as speedmapping as regular mapping can be far, far longer than that, JOM 5 and DUMP which are "speedmapping" sessions too, last a week/weekend. Hope to see you on Saturday!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate this time. However, I hope this session has a better turnout than the last one.

15 hours ago, Spie812 said:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate this time. However, I hope this session has a better turnout than the last one.

Last one has a time conflict with others. 3 maps with one bugged.

The weird thing about the "bug" on my map is that I always had the all the monsters teleport in when they were supposed to so I figured nothing was wrong, I tested in prBoom though so that may have something to do with it, what port did you guys play the maps in?

6 minutes ago, therektafire said:

The weird thing about the "bug" on my map is that I always had the all the monsters teleport in when they were supposed to so I figured nothing was wrong, I tested in prBoom though so that may have something to do with it, what port did you guys play the maps in?

Also PrBoom+. I don't know the time "when they were supposed to do so" is when the teleporters are triggered and there are no living enemies standing on the places where monsters should spawn? 

Because in the newest pigeon mapping session there are also several maps with the same issue and this bug is still not solved.

If I'm really looking to get into mapping, I may as well participate in this one. Probably won't be awake for the first 8 hours of the session, I'm an idiot who can't read and will in fact be awake for the first 8 hours of the session, given that it's 5 pm my time when it starts,but still. Short 'n sweet tends to be where I've excelled in the past anyway.

Edited by THMG

20 more minutes! The theme refining trial will be scrapped, for now. I didn't think of anything that wouldn't end up being samey and monotone.

THEMES!

- 10 sectors

- Only 2 types of monsters

- Tactical usage of barrels

Download: noisy_ess10.zip

Name: Doombuilder sucks at shapes, so deal with this blue thing instead.

Time: 2 hrs i guess.

Themes: all of them

Textures: uses cc4-tex.wad - tried to merge them into map but i messed up and didn't wanna waste more time so here.

Description: I spent 10 minutes drawing a more "proper" map on paper, but the map would explode whenever I drew a line in implementation phase; I drew the weird shape platforms first and tried to map the rest of the map... didn't work.  I just kept it simple and turned it into a box with cyberdemons instead.  Enjoy!

Music: Benevolent Ghost (by Jimmy/Alfonzo)

Demo: noisy_ess10_demo.zip

bluething.png.125cee8b7185f8762e83a815ce02a373.png

Edited by NoisyVelvet : demo

22 minutes ago, Surreily said:

I had a BLAST. I'm looking forward to some of the devious enemy combinations other people come up with. Well the final room as it is now I just fired a rocket into it before I jumped down, the chain reaction did its job and I strolled right into the exit, no need for the powerup... I suspect that didn't go the way it was supposed to?

55 minutes ago, Surreily said:

I would love some feedback on the final room. It's kinda dumb, but I thought it was cool at the time and would love to know what others think of it.

fda: noisy_prep.zip

You can't go wrong with barrels/archviles/invuln-sphere.  The worst case here is that it might be redundant.  The barrels just explode at once and it's trivial to dip into there and fetch the invuln if you are going fast.

Quick FDA for Surreily's map since you wanted feedback. Survives in 1:26. Especially with the invul, could probably use two more viles warping into the final area via walkovers? It felt anticlimatic after the original "Okay maybe I might actually die here" shock of seeing all those barrels wore off. Fun map though. Will probably be comparably good as many 5+ hour maps, just a fraction of the size. 

Edited by rdwpa

Thanks for the feedback on my map's final room! I wanted to have the player drop down a narrow shaft to prevent the cheesing scenarios, but I was a dumbass and used my 10th sector on a lift instead. The intended experience is to drop down and go through a little maze of barrels while avoiding the arch-vile fire, eventually leading to the sphere and allowing an easy exit.

I'll have another look and see what I can do to fix the cheesing. Again, thanks for the feedback!

Name: Bonehead Avenue

Track: "I Sawed The Demons" from Ultimate Doom

Themes: Two types of monsters / tactical barrels

Time: Over 2 hours

Textures: Nothing new

Edited by A2Rob

Name: Dude, Where's My Euclidean Space?  EUCSPC.zip

Theme: Only 2 kinds of monsters. I tried with the barrels, but I'd hardly call my use of them "tactical."

Build Time: Around 2 hours.

Format:GZDoom UDMF

Textures: DoomPotpourri.wad from realm667.

Description: Pressed for time, I find myself returning back to my favorite thing: Short, "nonlinear" maps based around small encounters and reusing rooms. And basically just slapping together the 3 map ideas I had that I couldn't make feel long enough lol

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hurf durf oh god im an idiot who didn;t bother asking the basic rules

Edited by THMG : I CAN'T READ

Yeah, the format is always Boom compat. I'm afraid you'll either have to nerf your map, or... That's probably the only rule I'm strict on, and it's never happened before.

Screenshot_Doom_20180106_205300.png.5be8473d5fecce41627ef45ad4365ce0.png

TITLE: Cybernetics (How 7 Monsters Can Be Tough)

TIME: 3 hours, if testing counts then 3h 30 min

THEMES: 10 sectors, 2 types of monsters

TEXTURES: cc4-tex (I believe only METAL, switches, sky and EXITSTON aren't from there :D

MUSIC: "Mindgroove" by Kristian Aro, MAP11 of WoS

INSPIRATION: Mainly MAP11 of WoS (Cyberfunk)

COMMENTS: Well this was fun. I really needed to think a lot about how to make a map beautiful with only 10 sectors, well, here it is. The doors are very weirdly tagged, and at the end I needed to resort to a lot of things to make the exit room work. This map should not and probably will not be maxable, but it should barely be survivable ;) The Spider Masterminds are there to make you think. Basically there's only 2 monsters you need to kill with guns, you can (and should) bypass 4, 1 is killed by something)

THE PITS ARE INESCAPABLE, AS SAID IN THE MAP (look at the automap)

ess10_NaZa.zip

29 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Yeah, the format is always Boom compat. I'm afraid you'll either have to nerf your map, or... That's probably the only rule I'm strict on, and it's never happened before.

Yikes. Didn't know that. Guess I'm not participating this time after all. On the bright side, got a map done in 2 hours.

Woah. When I said I'm not sure is it maxable, I was mainly talking about the blood pool and the rad suit, which lasts just enough. I thought killing the other two Cybers was impossible as you'd waste too much time and the suit would wear off. That's why I put a blue armor, berserk and a soulsphere, to leave room for error. Also if you go to the second Cyberdemon too quickly, the doors which block the MM's close and maxing the map is impossible at that point. I might add a teleporter at the last area so one can revisit and kill everyone if he really wants to, but that can, again, be exploited at the final encounter.

Q7eYjkE.png

eagles-walt.zip

Title: My eyes thanking you for burning out while making this thing

Build time: 1 hour and half, including testing and adding music

Themes: 10 sectors, failed 2 monsters attempt

New textures: None

New Music: The Dave D. Taylor Blues from doom 2