Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Flaws in modern OSs compared to before iterations.

I think that XP and before had less flaws.

A flaw that I can think for now is that they are often on taking too much time to start or needlessly eating memory.

What are the other flaws?

I don't like the way Win8 and higher looks. The Win7 Aero interface looked better, whereas on Win8 and higher it looks rather ugly.

The backward compat is fading too.

@Agent6, you could tell me.

Edited by Cacodemon345

13 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

@Agent6, you could tell me.

Lulz :v .

Well tbh I can't exactly point out many serious flaws in any post-XP Windows OS primarily because I just don't specifically look for such things, nor do I use the PC for a great deal of things so that flaws and inconveniences become more and more obvious. Other than the new and crappier look of the interface in 8.1 and 10 I can't think of anything else right now. The theme itself and style may have been better in 8.1 in some aspects, but it was not comfortable to navigate with a mouse and every time I opened the so-called "Start Menu" I felt like I switched to a tablet. The bar where the Settings menu is located was also highly questionable.

It's worse in W10 because it uses just so many styles which really don't blend well at all. The Control Panel is a mess with way too many options and yet some are still absent from the classic panel. There's also a ridiculous amount of 4 different panels in this thing.

Start up time being significantly longer than XP and 7 is partially fake. Fast Boot in 8.1 and 10 means the start up time is around 2-3 seconds (although it's not actually a Windows feature in itself: https://www.howtogeek.com/116569/htg-explains-how-windows-8s-secure-boot-feature-works-what-it-means-for-linux/ ) . Furthermore, the restarts take so long also due to Windows rebuilding the Fast Boot file (to my knowledge anyway). FB is a pretty neat addition, however with time it may or may not cause all sorts of obscure glitches so it's recommended to manually reboot the PC from time to time. It can be disabled altogether anyway if it's that too big of an annoyance. It also offers some extra protection.

As about compatibility issues, other than problems with some older games I'm neither aware nor ran into problems, and most issues can generally be fixed with a little work. Although not specifically related to compatibility, W10 and 8.1 are not the only Windows OSes M$ has either removed or disabled features and whatnot. In 7 some updates disabled SecuROM/Safedisk for instance, which rends some old games which use it to simply not start. Why was this removed? Dunno, heard it also had something to do with security: https://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/pc/microsoft-drm-windows-10/1/ Besides, it's a bit silly to expect everything that was released some 10-20yrs ago to still run flawlessly on new OSes and hardware, for various reasons.

Eating more resources with time, well, since W10 is constantly receiving major updates that's only to be expected, but with good hardware it shouldn't be too big a problem, not in the near future anyway. Got 2 major updates since I installed W10 on my PC and while memory usage has in fact increased and it's a bit slower since it's no longer fresh, I am not able to notice anything significant. One thing I hate in version 1709 however, at least, is that the Photos and Store apps reopen even after manually closing them sometimes, and with background apps disabled.

Another thing people loathed about W10 is telemetry. While yes, not being able to disable it by conventional means is an issue, I'm not seeing it as big as some people made/make it be. Privacy should be everyone's concern, that much is not questioned, but I've no idea why some were (and still are) so scared/worried/whatever about this.

I feel that W10 specifically is such a mess because it wants to do too many things at once, and also because it should've been more polished before being released, particularly in the design department, the functionality is ok for me, but could've been better. Better than 8.1 was for me anyway, by a large margin.

If you're looking for other flaws and whatnot specific to the Windows architecture and W10 in particular I'd recommend this article. He wrote another similar article for Linux as well: https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

Edited by Agent6

How far back are you willing to go?  And what do you consider worthy of the title "flaw"?

I mean, my first computer was a Ti-99/4a, and it kinda sucked in that its stock BASIC was double-interpreted.  Not only was TI-BASIC itself interpreted, but the interpreter was written in an interpreted bytecode language.  I suppose you could call that a flaw.

@Cacodemon345 Maybe you should. Don't misunderstand this, I get what you're trying to make clear with your recent threads, but I think it's enough, complaining a bit too much y'know.

The biggest flaws of Windows versions older than 7 is that they probably will remain vulnerable to Meltdown for all eternity. It is really better to dump them ASAP.

9 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

How far back are you willing to go?  And what do you consider worthy of the title "flaw"?

I mean, my first computer was a Ti-99/4a, and it kinda sucked in that its stock BASIC was double-interpreted.  Not only was TI-BASIC itself interpreted, but the interpreter was written in an interpreted bytecode language.  I suppose you could call that a flaw.

I grew up with a TI-99/4A. Ms. Pac-Man, Parsec, Pole Position and Tunnels of Doom were my introduction to video games. So many wonderful memories. 

57 minutes ago, Jerry.C said:

The biggest flaws of Windows versions older than 7 is that they probably will remain vulnerable to Meltdown for all eternity. It is really better to dump them ASAP.

https://www.wired.com/story/meltdown-and-spectre-vulnerability-fix/

"Meltdown, a bug that could allow an attacker to read kernel memory (the protected core of an operating system), impacts Intel and Qualcomm processors, and one type of ARM chip."

You could elaborate here a bit, I'm confused by what you mean since those vulnerabilities are primarily tied to the CPUs rather than the OSes themselves.

10 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

https://www.wired.com/story/meltdown-and-spectre-vulnerability-fix/

"Meltdown, a bug that could allow an attacker to read kernel memory (the protected core of an operating system), impacts Intel and Qualcomm processors, and one type of ARM chip."

You could elaborate here a bit, I'm confused by what you mean since those vulnerabilities are primarily tied to the CPUs rather than the OSes themselves.

I think it allows one to access kernel memory through CPU, @Agent6.

Edited by Cacodemon345

I remember people complained about backwards compatibility in XP too. A lot of old games had serious problems, and of course XP looked like this new tool that was all shiny, but kinda broken.

Many problems were fixed by enthusiasts, but then Vista came along, undoing most of their work. Good times.

I didn't find any sort of backward-compatibility problems with old games.

Only games like the Age of Empires seemed to have problems.

31 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I think it allows one to access kernel memory through CPU, @Agent6.

I know, what I didn't understand was why he implied Meltdown will forever haunt the post-7 Windows versions specifically since I'm not really able to see the connection.

"We have an update for you! Windows is a service, so updates are a regular thing. Want to restart now or restart later?"

Does anyone else hate it when this pops up when you're in the middle of something?

Never going to happen, I check for updates by myself in the days the updates are typically delivered and periodically for the programs so that everything else is out of the way.

For me, I found 10 to be good, but I won't change from 7.

I only disliked some path finding changes in Windows 10. Like, they have added new preset folders at the left side of the File explorer thingie (iirc), that confuse me and I am also used to the Windows 7 Computer/Documents/Control panel/e.t.c. options that are located to the right of the program menu, that are now messed up/not there.

But the BIGGEST SIN of all is when I saw a shortcut named This PC...

From when I was 5 years old, I would put the My Computer shortcut first and the Recycling bin second on the Desktop.

My Computer was always the first and it still is!

But Microsoft decided to change it to This PC...

I could not stand that. It was awful!

So I renamed it to My Computer.

LOL.  :D

Edit: Oh! And there must be like 100 updates available for my Windows 7 pc at the moment, but I have auto update off and I never check for them. Once, I even had 250 updates waiting.

6 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I only disliked some path finding changes in Windows 10. Like, they have added new preset folders at the left side of the File explorer thingie (iirc), that confuse me and I am also used to the Windows 7 Computer/Documents/Control panel/e.t.c. options that are located to the right of the program menu, that are now messed up/not there.

M$ simply fucked them up.

Wish my new PC was fully Win7 compatible.

I also can't stand MacOS and linux as not much support are given for them.

If you mean commercial support, it does indeed exist for Linux.  That's a cornerstone to the business plans of Red Hat and Canonical.  Slackware has commercial support as well, iirc.  For everyday end-user stuff, there definitely is less support.

However, I've found that I end up seeking help with Linux stuff in the exact same way I seek help with Windows stuff: Google.

It's probably not the right OS for many people right now.  After all, what should be most important is that you use an OS that works best for you.

Of course, the fact that it's not the OS that's shipped pre-installed with most computers probably impacts popularity as well :-P  Less mindshare.

"Issues"?  I'm not sure if you're asking me what the issues are with Linux, if you're trying to state that issues are actually why it's unpopular, or if you're saying that I have issues.

7 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

"Issues"?  I'm not sure if you're asking me what the issues are with Linux, if you're trying to state that issues are actually why it's unpopular, or if you're saying that I have issues.

@YukiRaven,

What are the issues with linux?

(language barrier)

Edited by Cacodemon345