Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

HOSTEL. There's something about watching a rich elite club torturing your average stupid tourist that's so satisfying & genius at the same time.

1 hour ago, royaldj said:

HOSTEL. There's something about watching a rich elite club torturing your average stupid tourist that's so satisfying & genius at the same time.

Just wish Eli Roth would get to it already instead of doing the whole 80's slasher thing where the idiots spend 30 minutes of the movie partying and having sex. 

43 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

Just wish Eli Roth would get to it already instead of doing the whole 80's slasher thing where the idiots spend 30 minutes of the movie partying and having sex. 

I wish he would make another Hostel movie. 

I saw Bright with Will Smith. If you can make it past the first terrible 15 minutes of medieval fantasy tropes in modern day Los Angeles its a good movie. I can't help but wonder if it would have more appeal if it was set in the 1950s with the only black cop in a white police station rather than the only orc in a human police department.

8 hours ago, royaldj said:

If I wanted to watch rich psychopaths hurting ordinary people I can put on CSPAN.

Hostel's overrated anyway, takes way too long to get to the meat of the film and then it's not even that special. Eli Roth is also a baby and wouldn't make a third movie because the second one was apparently pirated too much (it looks like a third one came out anyway, direct to video and bombed). He's also technically a pedophile, and bragged about being able to bang 14 year olds in other countries. Yeah uh, screw Hostel.

I watched the 70s Australian dipsomania classic Wake In Fright, a brutal and funny movie with a keen eye for human behavior 

I saw Steve Jobs. Wasn't too keen on it, mostly because I just didn't like the character (couldn't say how accurate the depiction is), nor did I really find him all that interesting. When I was finished, I watched a few Youtube videos about the histories of the Apple 2 and the Macintosh, which I found to be far more interesting. 

Watched The Thing (1982) this afternoon.

Needless to say, I enjoyed the whole film and I found many moments in it to be really brilliant.

Things I liked (may or may not include spoilers):

Spoiler

First of all, the events in the movie could have been prevented, because the knowledge needed about the Thing, was passed from a survivor of the Norwegian research center, to the Americans in another research center (if only they could speak Norwegian, to understand the poor Norwegian guy, instead of shooting him and sealing their fate).

Second, the first 30 minutes of the film explain everything the viewer needs to know, without using words and boring exposition. Nope. Just observe what happens and things will start to get in order. And they even managed to make a dog scary and ominous.

Then, the main thing in this movie (no pun intended) is that sense of unease and the feel of distrust plaguing every character in it. Nobody trusts others, because the Thing is a total nightmare. They have all seen it at the beginning of the film and they know what it is capable of. It has no hidden cards up its sleeve, yet it couldn't be more destructive, while sneakily completing its objective, step by step. So each guy is for himself, with an occasional team up happening here and there (and characters would very rarely lower their guard, which was still enough for the Thing to use in its advantage).

Finally, the effects were pretty cool and the blood everywhere, coupled with the Thing's many forms was so awesome.

Yes, there was that one scene, where you could see it was a bit crappy, but I didn't feel like it took anything from the experience. In fact, all those gory scenes added to the film, without making it feel like braindead action. 

By the way, the blood test scene jumpscare got me (not in an annoying way like modern jumpscares - it felt clever and I was congratulating the movie for being stealthy about it).

Spoiler

Bad ass martial arts movie with the amazing JeeJa Yanin. 

Also just finished (today) The Iron Fist on Netflix. Was really surprised at how good it is. Wasn't expecting that.

6 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Also just finished (today) The Iron Fist on Netflix. Was really surprised at how good it is. Wasn't expecting that.

As in, the Marvel series? 

I'm glad somebody liked it. Most people (me included) thought it was absolutely terrible! I think that was 100% down to Danny Rand's character being simultaneously whiny and overly earnest, which are both awful character traits they somehow managed to squeeze into a single character.

I saw the new Jumanji film over the weekend. Pretty undemanding, but I actually rather enjoyed it. Some genuinely funny moments (like Jack Black's character discovering she has a penis).

11 hours ago, Bauul said:

As in, the Marvel series? 

I'm glad somebody liked it. Most people (me included) thought it was absolutely terrible! I think that was 100% down to Danny Rand's character being simultaneously whiny and overly earnest, which are both awful character traits they somehow managed to squeeze into a single character.

I saw the new Jumanji film over the weekend. Pretty undemanding, but I actually rather enjoyed it. Some genuinely funny moments (like Jack Black's character discovering she has a penis).

Yeah, the Netflix show. I wasn't expecting anything out of it/to be good because I'm not a fan of anything comic book/comic movie related/what have you. I think there's been an extreme oversaturation of comic movies/adaptations and it got old like 5 years ago. But, I did like the Daredevil series and LOVED the Punisher series on Netflix, and Jessica Jones was alright, I guess. So I figured I would try the Iron Fist. Was very surprised by it.

SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW:

I think the thing you have to remember about Danny's character is that he's been away from the city and people in general for 15 years. He was 10 when his plane crashed, so basically a boy. I think the "whiny" and "overly earnest" fits almost perfectly because in some ways, he's still 10. He hasn't grown/caught up, mentally, I think. He even says towards the end of the 1st season that 'since coming back to New York, it's reminds me of duality', or something to that effect. I'm not saying it was the best show ever, but for someone like me who doesn't really give 2 shits about Marvel and it's franchises (aside from the Punisher), it was pretty damn good.

As for Jumanji, I don't think I'll ever watch it, tbh. Didn't think it needed a reboot/sequel/whatever and I loathe Jack Black.

2 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Yeah, the Netflix show. I wasn't expecting anything out of it/to be good because I'm not a fan of anything comic book/comic movie related/what have you. I think there's been an extreme oversaturation of comic movies/adaptations and it got old like 5 years ago. But, I did like the Daredevil series and LOVED the Punisher series on Netflix, and Jessica Jones was alright, I guess. So I figured I would try the Iron Fist. Was very surprised by it.

SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW:

I think the thing you have to remember about Danny's character is that he's been away from the city and people in general for 15 years. He was 10 when his plane crashed, so basically a boy. I think the "whiny" and "overly earnest" fits almost perfectly because in some ways, he's still 10. He hasn't grown/caught up, mentally, I think. He even says towards the end of the 1st season that 'since coming back to New York, it's reminds me of duality', or something to that effect. I'm not saying it was the best show ever, but for someone like me who doesn't really give 2 shits about Marvel and it's franchises (aside from the Punisher), it was pretty damn good.

As for Jumanji, I don't think I'll ever watch it, tbh. Didn't think it needed a reboot/sequel/whatever and I loathe Jack Black.

I don't think they did a good job with the character of Iron Fist either, he wasn't fantastic but just boring and uninteresting in Defenders as well. Iron Fist did indeed suffer from quite a backlash from the fans, perhaps too much, but can't say I don't where that's coming from.

Also, I think it's great that superhero movies/shows are so much more frequent and popular these days, I find this most ideal honestly. Yes, there's plenty of stuff out there these days, perhaps even an over saturation like you just said, but I'm definitely not complaining as long as it's good. And Punisher and Daredevil are the crowned shows in the Marvel universe for sure right now.

On 7/24/2016 at 2:43 AM, rf` said:

Zootopia. It was quite good.

I have a friend who is watching this everyday this year. He's watched it 30 times already.

Last movie I watched was Terminator 2. It was pretty good

Last movie I saw was Ghost in the Shell (the 1995 anime, not that other one).  It was good, but I feel like a lot was compressed or glossed over when fitting a big anime series into a 90 minute running time.

(An aside, if anyone knows about a good cyberpunk movie NOT set in North America, Europe, East Asia, or space, please message me.)

I recently rented Blade Runner on Google Play, and I have to say, it's a WEIRD movie. It's so bizarre and I love it. I should probably see 2049, I've heard good things about that.

I wanted to watch something nice and lighthearted, so I decided to watch Paddington 2. It got surprisingly sad during the part where:

Spoiler

Paddington got sad when he thought his family forgot to visit him.

but other than that, I actually enjoyed it. It was a fun, charming movie.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:00 AM, SuperArjunaButt said:

(An aside, if anyone knows about a good cyberpunk movie NOT set in North America, Europe, East Asia, or space, please message me.)

The movie Chappie is probably not "pure" cyberpunk according to whatever definition people have, but it explores the same themes. It's set and filmed in South Africa.

On that note, I picked up Blade Runner 2049 today, gonna watch it when the house is still. I've been waiting patiently.

Just finished watching American Psycho, got tired of seeing scenes with Bale from that movie.

Pretty interesting, but nothing particularly brilliant. Well, better than the typical crime stuff at least.

6 hours ago, luckyjack said:

Don’t Breathe (2016) — an excellent and (as far as I can tell) original, horror / thriller. Certainly a nail biter! Would definitely recommend this as something different. The less you know about it the better. I knew the premise and thought it would be much better if I knew nothing about it. Not sure how rewatchable it would be though.

I watched this not too long ago and wasn't impressed, actually. The ending was interesting, though.

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Just finished watching American Psycho, got tired of seeing scenes with Bale from that movie.

Pretty interesting, but nothing particularly brilliant. Well, better than the typical crime stuff at least.

The book is 1000x better, imo. But I guess that could said about most books-turned-movies...

I love the book, it's super graphic too, definitely one of those cases where adapting to film would've been troublesome. Fun fact though, in the unrated version towards the end when whatsherface is looking through Bateman's doodles they're referencing the things he did in the book that went off-screen for the film.

11 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

The book is 1000x better, imo. But I guess that could said about most books-turned-movies...

Yeah, probably, movie or any kind of adaptions typically leave material out (sometimes unfortunately important stuff), so maybe that's the main reason it was pretty meh. Or maybe it was just the execution? Well I can't tell, never read the book, honestly until you mentioned this I was completely unaware it was based on one.

Still, I suppose there's more faithfully adapted stuff out there, The Shining for instance from what a friend who had read the books told me the movie is pretty accurate. Saw the movie but yet to read the books as well so I can't tell if that's true either.

25 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Yeah, probably, movie or any kind of adaptions typically leave material out (sometimes unfortunately important stuff), so maybe that's the main reason it was pretty meh. Or maybe it was just the execution? Well I can't tell, never read the book, honestly until you mentioned this I was completely unaware it was based on one.

Yeah, there was a lot of issues with even getting the movie made; at one point Leonardo diCaprio and Martin Scorsese were attached to the film, but dropped out due to various reasons. It was/is unique in the fact that for all the gory, misogynistic violence and degradation portrayed in the novel, the film was directed and screenplay written by women. Neat tidbit, I thought.