Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Who is the most promising newcomer?

Which new mapper is going to rock our world soon? Who are you secretly cheering for? Let's make all these cool people feel awkward!

Personally, I'm really excited about A2Rob's progress as a level designer. He appeared here less than 2 years ago, but already proved to be a reliable source of fun dynamic maps with high quality detailing. I feel like his texture combinations are still a little rough sometimes and he needs to establish a more unique style without such obvious references to popular authors like skillsaw, but overall he shows a lot of promise and I can totally see him making something like Scythe 3 one day.

There are three people I haven't really seen until recently so they get my vote. They also create very different maps so I can't just pick one.

A2Rob

Paul977

Scotty

Second many of the names mentioned so far.

Nine Inch Heels for sure -- I think she can make a cool set, especially under my tutorship. >:-) 

Not sure if Crunchynut44 qualifies as a newcomer, but him for sure. His releases will be cool.

There's this mapper named John Romero who released homages to e1m4 and e1m8 of Doom recently -- can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

MrZzul is a new mapper, but I hear he'll retire soon so I'm not sure. :P

I saw The Mysterious Moustachio's screenname. Not sure if he's a newcomer but if so him too; his WIP is pretty enjoyable.

And many names I'm forgetting.

Edited by rdwpa

3 minutes ago, Killer5 said:

A2Rob

Scotty

A2Rob and Scotty did a good job in the Pigeon session recently, so I also expect some good maps in the future. I'm also a newcomer, so I expect that I can release some nice maps soon enough.

floatRand, but that's hardly a prediction and more of stating the obvious.

Agreed on Scotty and Paul977; both have really cool map styles I can get behind. I liked Scotty's contributions to TNT: Resistance and Super Mayhem 17 with his Rainbow Road map. Paul977 feels like a modern take on the Jens Nielsen style that I really enjoy for being both punishing and clever with The Cursed Temple and Night Town. Another good one I can think of was ZaBigBoss who put out Back To Thunder Road and I really hope he puts out more material sometime soon.

@leodoom85 I've seen one of your maps on Dragonfly's stream before and it looked pretty darn good, so I'd say you would be another likely choice.

Just now, dew said:

floatRand, but that's hardly a prediction and more of stating the obvious.

Oh yeah, he's a cool guy with great-looking maps and I think he started the first maps with Dump 3. Thumbs up

Well, I believe that all newcomers have potentional to create something good if they're encouraged right and have motivation to continue on mapping and search their own style, taking notes from criticism. 

Just now, Myst.Haruko said:

Well, I believe that all newcomers have potentional to create something good if they're encouraged right and have motivation to continue on mapping and search their own style, taking notes from criticism. 

Agreed on that one. Searching a style and make it your own is nice and obviously, feedback is appreciated for the newcomers.

y'know if i could get around to releasing something sometime maybe i'd be considered atleast decent but i can never commit myself to finishing a layout

<Myself of course ;)

Not really though, I haven't even released any maps outside of some short speedmaps yet and those aren't exactly the greatest quality, I had a couple of hours earlier to make a map for todays eagle session but I basically decided to scrap it because it felt too similar to another map I made a couple of sessions ago, well that and it wasn't even all the way done yet and I am kind of getting annoyed with not being able to put out initial versions of maps that are in a demoable state... I am making maps for Nova 3 and 4800 hell knights and I am feeling pretty good about those though so we will see how those will turn out, maybe I should redevote some of the limited time I have to devote to mapping from speedmapping to the making of my "full" maps now that I feel like my mapping abilities have gotten a little bit better (though my map *design* abilities definitely haven't :D)

As far as people who are actually good go, I definitely have to agree about a2rob and Nine Inch Heels

38 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

There's this mapper named John Romero who released homages to e1m4 and e1m8 of Doom recently -- can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

He already got a cacoward, albeit not for newcomer (which would be ridiculously ironic). I don't know if he's planning to create any more new levels for Doom since those levels were just the warm-up for Blackroom, which is supposed to be out at the end of this year.

Otherwise, I agree with @Myst.Haruko and @leodoom85 regarding potential.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

Second many of the names mentioned so far.

Nine Inch Heels for sure -- I think she can make a cool set, especially under my tutorship. >:-) 

Not sure if Crunchynut44 qualifies as a newcomer, but him for sure. His releases will be cool.

MrZzul is a new mapper, but I hear he'll retire soon so I'm not sure. :P

I saw The Mysterious Moustachio's screenname. Not sure if he's a newcomer but if so him too; his WIP is pretty enjoyable.

And many names I'm forgetting.

can you teach me rd?

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

Hmm... Does this tutorship involve complaints about gimmicky platforming?

You forget to mention NeedHealth. I don't know if he is a newcomer but he is beginning to form his own mapping style of short maps.

I thought the stuff @Xyzzy01 came up with on his half of Confinement 256 was immensely creative.  Although having a room where you have to dodge teleporting exploding barrels is as cruel as it is creative!

When did you start mapping, @Dragonfly? Definitely one of the first names that came to mind, if you've only been at it for ~2 years that's damn impressive. There's also Big Ol' Billy who is quite new yet made one of my favorite maps in the last few years.

I'll deviate from the topic a bit and say, in terms of new players, 42PercentHealth has gained a notable amount of skill in a short time. At this rate he will be a force to be reckoned with in duel in a matter of months!

Sorry this is doesn't address the thread topic directly, and not trying to play down my expectations for future Doom goliaths, but I've been clued in recently about some long time doomworld members who will be releasing their own projects for the first time in a looong time and I've been pumped about that.

Thinking about it i am one of the promising newcomers for Heretic mapping :D!!!

Reading this thread, I feel like an old fart.

On the topic - people who are worthy of this, can be quite a lot in this forum.

2 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Thinking about it i am one of the promising newcomers for Heretic mapping :D!!!

I will say for myself - in 2017 I'm also submitted one map for Heretic Upstart Mapping project and it's my first Heretic map after 50+ Doom maps. That was an interesting experience.

SOSU can you stop trying to toot your own horn? :P

@Doomkid I've not kept it a secret by any means - I've been in the mapping game since 2005; back when I was a mere 12 year old! Thanks for the recognition, regardless - I really appreciate it! :)

Just now, Dragonfly said:

SOSU can you stop trying to toot your own horn? :P

It's hard to toot someone else's horn if your horn is attached to your mouth through duct tape ;V