Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Chocolate Doom

3 hours ago, fraggle said:

Sorry, this has been asked for before many times and I've declared it out of scope for the project.

I don't actually mind it.

I finally got around to releasing v3.0.0 - see release notes, and downloads are available from the Downloads page on the website. This completes the transition to SDL2 as a foundation for Chocolate Doom; thanks to everyone who contributed and helped make this happen.

Great, been waiting for this for a while for PortaDOOM. There is some strange behaviour if you provide `-width` / `-height` outside of the accepted choices. If you call `chocolate-doom-setup -width 1366 -height 768` then it displays as "0x0" in setup. Perhaps if an invalid size is given, the nearest 4:3 size that would fit within could be selected instead (i.e. 1024x768).

Congratulations! I'm very happy with the progress that has been made. Right in time for New Year celebrations!

13 hours ago, Kroc said:

Great, been waiting for this for a while for PortaDOOM. There is some strange behaviour if you provide `-width` / `-height` outside of the accepted choices. If you call `chocolate-doom-setup -width 1366 -height 768` then it displays as "0x0" in setup. Perhaps if an invalid size is given, the nearest 4:3 size that would fit within could be selected instead (i.e. 1024x768).

Those command line options aren't understood by the setup tool, so I don't think those are related. But interesting bug nonetheless; it's probably because you're using a fresh configuration (ie. you ran chocolate-doom-setup before running chocolate-doom)

EDIT: I can't reproduce this. You're experiencing this with the v3.0 binaries which just got released?

This is the command-line invocation being generated by PortaDOOM's "doom.bat".

START "doom.bat" /D "saves\choco-doom\DOOM" "..\..\..\ports\chocolate-doom\chocolate-doom-setup.exe" -width 1366 -height 768 -fullscreen  -iwad "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\base\DOOM.WAD" -savedir "." -config "..\..\..\config\default.choco-doom.cfg" -extraconfig "..\..\..\config\default.choco-doom.extra.cfg"

This is the "default.choco-doom.extra.cfg" file:

Spoiler

video_driver                  ""
window_position               "center"
fullscreen                    1
video_display                 0
aspect_ratio_correct          1
integer_scaling               0
vga_porch_flash               0
window_width                  0
window_height                 0
fullscreen_width              0
fullscreen_height             0
force_software_renderer       0
max_scaling_buffer_pixels     16000000
startup_delay                 1000
show_endoom                   0
show_diskicon                 1
png_screenshots               1
snd_samplerate                44100
snd_cachesize                 67108864
snd_maxslicetime_ms           28
snd_pitchshift                0
snd_musiccmd                  ""
snd_dmxoption                 ""
opl_io_port                   0x388
use_libsamplerate             0
libsamplerate_scale           0.650000
music_pack_path               ""
timidity_cfg_path             ""
gus_patch_path                ""
gus_ram_kb                    1024
vanilla_savegame_limit        0
vanilla_demo_limit            0
vanilla_keyboard_mapping      1
player_name                   "PortaDOOM"
grabmouse                     1
novert                        1
mouse_acceleration            2.000000
mouse_threshold               10
mouseb_strafeleft             -1
mouseb_straferight            -1
mouseb_use                    -1
mouseb_backward               -1
mouseb_prevweapon             4
mouseb_nextweapon             3
dclick_use                    0
joystick_guid                 ""
joystick_index                -1
joystick_x_axis               0
joystick_x_invert             0
joystick_y_axis               1
joystick_y_invert             0
joystick_strafe_axis          -1
joystick_strafe_invert        0
joystick_look_axis            -1
joystick_look_invert          0
joystick_physical_button0     0
joystick_physical_button1     1
joystick_physical_button2     2
joystick_physical_button3     3
joystick_physical_button4     4
joystick_physical_button5     5
joystick_physical_button6     6
joystick_physical_button7     7
joystick_physical_button8     8
joystick_physical_button9     9
joystick_physical_button10    10
joyb_strafeleft               -1
joyb_straferight              -1
joyb_menu_activate            -1
joyb_toggle_automap           -1
joyb_prevweapon               -1
joyb_nextweapon               -1
key_pause                     69
key_menu_activate             1
key_menu_up                   72
key_menu_down                 80
key_menu_left                 75
key_menu_right                77
key_menu_back                 14
key_menu_forward              28
key_menu_confirm              21
key_menu_abort                49
key_menu_help                 59
key_menu_save                 60
key_menu_load                 61
key_menu_volume               62
key_menu_detail               63
key_menu_qsave                64
key_menu_endgame              65
key_menu_messages             66
key_menu_qload                67
key_menu_quit                 68
key_menu_gamma                87
key_spy                       0
key_menu_incscreen            13
key_menu_decscreen            12
key_menu_screenshot           88
key_map_toggle                15
key_map_north                 72
key_map_south                 80
key_map_east                  77
key_map_west                  75
key_map_zoomin                13
key_map_zoomout               12
key_map_maxzoom               11
key_map_follow                33
key_map_grid                  34
key_map_mark                  50
key_map_clearmark             46
key_weapon1                   2
key_weapon2                   3
key_weapon3                   4
key_weapon4                   5
key_weapon5                   6
key_weapon6                   7
key_weapon7                   8
key_weapon8                   9
key_prevweapon                0
key_nextweapon                0
key_message_refresh           28
key_demo_quit                 16
key_multi_msg                 20
key_multi_msgplayer1          34
key_multi_msgplayer2          23
key_multi_msgplayer3          48
key_multi_msgplayer4          19

And this launches the setup program, if I tick "off" full-screen, then the following is shown.

chocolate-doom-3-0x0.png.d573217b290e2770eb213e04368892f5.png

If I then save and launch that, I get a 320x200 window.

Thanks. So to clarify, you're providing a premade configuration file with window_width=0, window_height=0? Because neither chocolate-doom nor chocolate-setup default to those values. I think it's just displaying the values from the config file you've provided and is nothing to do with the other command line parameters.

I don't make the config file, I allow Chocolate Doom to generate it itself (in a specific location); perhaps its Chocolate Doom that is writing 0 to the config file when it creates it? (with some set of command line parameters triggering the behaviour). Once that default is generated, PortaDOOM makes a personal copy for the user and uses that from there on.

I have a question with a demo. I'm running Doom 2 using Chocolate Doom on Mac OS X and I upgraded to 3.0.0. When I try to load the game with the demo in the command line I get the error:

"Demo is from a different game version! (read 98, should be 109)

*** You may need to upgrade your version of Doom to v1.9. ***

This appears to be 0.98 (unknown)"

I was getting the same error with version 2.1.1. I would like to know what is the problem?

If this isn't the right place to ask this question, let me know.

Edited by Pegleg : Added Mac usage and Doom 2.

Sounds like the demo isn't in any format that Chocolate Doom can play back. How did you record it?

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I have a question with a demo. I'm running Doom 2 using Chocolate Doom on Mac OS X and I upgraded to 3.0.0. When I try to load the game with the demo in the command line I get the error:

"Demo is from a different game version! (read 98, should be 109)

*** You may need to upgrade your version of Doom to v1.9. ***

This appears to be 0.98 (unknown)"

I was getting the same error with version 2.1.1. I would like to know what is the problem?

If this isn't the right place to ask this question, let me know.

The first byte of your demo file is 98 (i.e. the letter 'b'). Are you sure that you loaded the correct file?

13 hours ago, fraggle said:

Sounds like the demo isn't in any format that Chocolate Doom can play back. How did you record it?

12 hours ago, jval said:

The first byte of your demo file is 98 (i.e. the letter 'b'). Are you sure that you loaded the correct file?

It's a lmp file. Here is the original posting from which I got it:

Fun hectic map, I didn't fully understand the trigger system (wonder what these switches and keens at the start were about) but survived anyway. Here is a demo.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

It's a lmp file. Here is the original posting from which I got it:

Fun hectic map, I didn't fully understand the trigger system (wonder what these switches and keens at the start were about) but survived anyway. Here is a demo.

So  you mean this post then. It appears to work for me. What are you using as the command line to try to play it back?

3 hours ago, fraggle said:

So  you mean this post then. It appears to work for me. What are you using as the command line to try to play it back?

Yes, that's the post.

The command line argument I'm using is (the ~ is actually specified in the real command line argument, and I know it works because the "-merge" command line argument works fine):

-playdemo "~/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsnmtn_mem_FDA.lmp"

The command line argument I'm using is (the ~ is actually specified in the real command line argument, and I know it works because the "-merge" command line argument works fine):

-playdemo "~/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsnmtn_mem_FDA.lmp"

Can you please give the full command line? I believe you're also loading a WAD file that's associated with this demo, correct?

Please note that ~ expansions don't work if you put them in "" quotes. So I'm a bit confused. Maybe try

chocolate-doom -playdemo "$HOME/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsnmtn_mem_FDA.lmp"

Or alternatively

chocolate-doom -playdemo ~/Documents/Files/doom\ demos/garsnmtn_mem_FDA.lmp

If the demo file isn't being loaded successfully then it may explain the error message you get. I also suggest you check the startup messages as they may be helpful. In particular if you see messages like this, it may indicate a problem:

adding doom2.wad
 adding ~/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsmntn_mem_FDA.lmp
 couldn't open /Documents/Files/doom demos/garsmntn_mem_FDA.lmp
Playing demo ~/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsmntn_mem_FDA.lmp.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Can you please give the full command line? I believe you're also loading a WAD file that's associated with this demo, correct?

Please note that ~ expansions don't work if you put them in "" quotes. So I'm a bit confused. Maybe try

chocolate-doom -playdemo "$HOME/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsnmtn_mem_FDA.lmp"

Or alternatively

chocolate-doom -playdemo ~/Documents/Files/doom\ demos/garsnmtn_mem_FDA.lmp

If the demo file isn't being loaded successfully then it may explain the error message you get. I also suggest you check the startup messages as they may be helpful. In particular if you see messages like this, it may indicate a problem:

adding doom2.wad
 adding ~/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsmntn_mem_FDA.lmp
 couldn't open /Documents/Files/doom demos/garsmntn_mem_FDA.lmp
Playing demo ~/Documents/Files/doom demos/garsmntn_mem_FDA.lmp.

OK. I didn't see any startup the messages. The screen goes black (Chocolate Doom moves to full screen) and after less than a second, the error box pops up and reads like I described higher in the thread.

Here's the full command line.

Spoiler

chocolate-doom -merge "/Users/stephanietedesco/Documents/Files/doom pwads/garsnmtn.wad" -playdemo /Users/stephanietedesco/Documents/Files/doomdemos/garsnmtn_mem_FDA.lmp

The same thing happens whether chocolate-doom is in front. I get the same error regardless of whether I'm loading the wad file with it. I took the space out of the "doom demos" subdirectory in case that was causing an issue (when it was there, and I used doom\ in the command line, I would get an error "W_GetNumForName: /Users/s not found!). I get the same 98 error if I put quotation marks around the lmp file string.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

OK. I didn't see any startup the messages. The screen goes black (Chocolate Doom moves to full screen) and after less than a second, the error box pops up and reads like I described higher in the thread.

Ah, I assume that means you're running from the launcher dialog? Try opening a command prompt (press ⌘+T from the launcher) and try the same command. That way you'll see all the startup messages and might be able to spot any error messages.

Would it be possible for you to upload both a copy of the .lmp file and the .wad file you're using? If you could drop them both in a .zip and share a link that would be really helpful. The .lmp you linked to seemed to play back fine for me but maybe it's become corrupted somehow on your end.

@fraggle

I was going through some of my half-finished Hexen maps today and remembered that there was one that always used to crash Choco upon loading even though vanilla Hexen read it fine.  Checked today if v3.0.0 still had the problem and it does; for what it's worth I was able to track the issue down to the fact that there was a leftover linedef formerly bordering a part of the map I'd deleted that somehow ended up without a sidedef.  I assume the construct of a sidedef-less linedef is considered invalid and undesirable, but I guess it's worth noting that vanilla did not seem to care, at least in the case of the line being somewhere it couldn't be seen.

It sounds like it might be worth looking into, even if the map is technically invalid. Can you file a bug? Would be helpful if you could share a copy of the level.

11 hours ago, fraggle said:

Ah, I assume that means you're running from the launcher dialog? Try opening a command prompt (press ⌘+T from the launcher) and try the same command. That way you'll see all the startup messages and might be able to spot any error messages.

Would it be possible for you to upload both a copy of the .lmp file and the .wad file you're using? If you could drop them both in a .zip and share a link that would be really helpful. The .lmp you linked to seemed to play back fine for me but maybe it's become corrupted somehow on your end.

This is somewhat embarrassing, but I just discovered that the file I was trying to load as the demo was apparently a shortcut that somehow got created. Once I moved the original lamp file to the location, the game loads and the demo starts playing immediately.

So, thank you very much for your help! Thank you for the proper command line syntax. And thank you for tolerating me hijacking your thread. Have a nice day.

12 hours ago, fraggle said:

It sounds like it might be worth looking into, even if the map is technically invalid. Can you file a bug? Would be helpful if you could share a copy of the level.

Posted a report to GitHub.  Here's the level.

break_choco_hexen.zip

So, thank you very much for your help! Thank you for the proper command line syntax. And thank you for tolerating me hijacking your thread. Have a nice day.

Great, glad to hear you figured it out. And don't worry about hijacking - this is what the thread is for!

The source tarball in the github release is a little weird, nothing serious, but the web page lists the URI/filename as https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/archive/chocolate-doom-3.0.0.tar.gz (expected) but the resulting download is chocolate-doom-chocolate-doom-3.0.0.tar.gz with a toplevel folder chocolate-doom-chocolate-doom-3.0.0. No biggie, but we will probably repack it for Debian.

That's just the automatically generated archive from Git, which GitHub uses a combination of the project name and tag name for the directory prefix. It also lacks the pre-generated autotools files that are required to build it without autoconf/automake actually installed (which should be preferable).

The wiki links to the more proper source release that's more suitable. (though IIRC, Debian prefers to re-generate the autotools files itself, so the difference might be basically nil)

Right - the real source tarball is also attached to the release but it's the other one in the list (notice it also has a matching signature file too). Unfortunately there's no way to remove these autogenerated source archives from the GitHub interface.