Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

11 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

That line floats in the void and sets the scrolling speed of the voodoo closets. Shouldn't be an issue, unless that's something ZDaemon isn't cool with.

Probably is ok, was just a warning I seen in the console to be honest.

3 hours ago, damo2k said:

map11 - something wrong with the sky also it seems

zgYDX8c.png

I have genuinely no idea I'm afraid!  It has a Boom sky-transfer effect on there so Boom and up get a custom sky (Crispy just gets the normal sky).  Does ZDaemon support sky-transfers?  That's the only thing I can think of.

8 hours ago, damo2k said:

Playing coop in zdaemon:

map06 - can get stuck in the middle/center of the map when the window shutters close

That was my attempt to mitigate a visplane overflow problem I was having. I hadn't taken into account the co-op side, but I thought that the doors (at the corners) stayed open even after the windows closed. So, I'm not clear on how someone could be stuck inside on co-op if someone has already gotten outside to trigger the windows to close.

I'm happy to try to tweak it because I don't want players to end up stuck, I just want to better understand the problem.

9 hours ago, damo2k said:

Playing coop in zdaemon:

map04 - (not a bug) server setup should have no free mouse look really, because of the IoS. Can configure this in zdaemon for this specific map.

map06 - can get stuck in the middle/center of the map when the window shutters close

map11 - something wrong with the sky also it seems

zgYDX8c.png

map20 - Sector 1059, 1536, 1537 (Tag 7: Floor Up): Not Coop Friendly, because those sectors never go down again and eventually block other players from making progress. (thx mrbrown)

map21 - could do with more coop ammo. could be tedious with many players.

map21 - player can get stuck in here, see screenshot. Switch not repeatable?

VYIZGgn.png

map22 - coop issue here, other players can not get in after one player goes through

7qUOHyJ.png

map33 - for coop, some bfg's should actualy be cell ammo, as bfg's dont disappear when collected, but also don't accumulate ammo

map35 - Line 1506 has no first side. Line 1506's right edge is unconnected

Fixed it! @StormCatcher.77  (Map 21)

Iso.zip

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

That was my attempt to mitigate a visplane overflow problem I was having. I hadn't taken into account the co-op side, but I thought that the doors (at the corners) stayed open even after the windows closed. So, I'm not clear on how someone could be stuck inside on co-op if someone has already gotten outside to trigger the windows to close.

I'm happy to try to tweak it because I don't want players to end up stuck, I just want to better understand the problem.

It seems the doors closed also, as there was players stuck in there. We can try test it again but a couple of players had to remain in there for the rest of the map.

6 hours ago, Bauul said:

I have genuinely no idea I'm afraid!  It has a Boom sky-transfer effect on there so Boom and up get a custom sky (Crispy just gets the normal sky).  Does ZDaemon support sky-transfers?  That's the only thing I can think of.

I don't think it's a big deal anyway as the map is playable. I'm not sure if zdaemon support sky-transfers 

5 hours ago, damo2k said:

It seems the doors closed also, as there was players stuck in there. We can try test it again but a couple of players had to remain in there for the rest of the map.

I checked it last night, both in the editor and in Chocolate Doom. As far as I could tell, the doors remain open. The doors and windows are tagged with different numbers, so I don't see why they would have closed; they certainly shouldn't have. The doors should stay open once they're open and there should be no way to close them from outside.

I wonder if there's something different about zdaemon that would cause this problem. If someone else has had similar issues, let me know. I'm interested to know what happened.

Do the doors have open-stay on one side and open-wait-close on the other side? I've seen that happen before. If somebody uses the open-wait-close side after it has been opened by the open-stay side, it will close. If that is the problem, you could fix it by making both sides open-stay or by making the open-stay side repeatable.

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

Do the doors have open-stay on one side and open-wait-close on the other side? I've seen that happen before. If somebody uses the open-wait-close side after it has been opened by the open-stay side, it will close. If that is the problem, you could fix it by making both sides open-stay or by making the open-stay side repeatable.

The "doors" are triggered by another action to Open and Stay. I don't offhand remember the action number, but neither linedef has a specific action associated with it, just the sector as a whole.

47 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

The "doors" are triggered by another action to Open and Stay. I don't offhand remember the action number, but neither linedef has a specific action associated with it, just the sector as a whole.

In Doombuilder, I would use Find and Replace mode to look for a Linedef Sector Reference with that sector's tag. Also, if you use scripts, check there, too.

If all else fails, as a last resort, you could add some way to open those doors from the inside.

Map06: in Chocolate Doom keens somehow get crushed even though there is no trigger??? There are only triggers for crushing barrels (which don't do enough damage to kill the keens), but somehow they die before the explosions even occur? I have no idea what sorcery is that, but it doesn't work in Boom or ZDaemon.

@damo2k, did my map load in zdaemon? Mine is "1000 in Less than 10". I was looking forward to coop footage of my map.

48 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Map06: in Chocolate Doom keens somehow get crushed even though there is no trigger???

I guess it's a consequence of them checking collision with linedef 0 due to each BLOCKMAP list starting with 0, and this linedef happens to be on a side of one of the crushers, and the crusher is at the same height as the Keens, and they are already stuck between floor and ceiling (their height is 72, height of the sectors in which they are is 64).

18 hours ago, Bauul said:

I have genuinely no idea I'm afraid!  It has a Boom sky-transfer effect on there so Boom and up get a custom sky (Crispy just gets the normal sky).

But Crispy *does* support MBF sky transfers (linedef 271 and 272), if that's what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Map06: in Chocolate Doom keens somehow get crushed even though there is no trigger??? There are only triggers for crushing barrels (which don't do enough damage to kill the keens), but somehow they die before the explosions even occur? I have no idea what sorcery is that, but it doesn't work in Boom or ZDaemon.

Originally, there were four triggers for four crushers that would kill four Keens (one for each Keen). Unfortunately, for some reason, I found that triggering one crusher would, for some reason, seem to kill two of the Keens. I added the barrels to try to fix what was seemingly some sort of problem. I wanted to keep this whole mechanism hidden, which is why it all takes place in small rooms that are not connected to the rest of the level (you can still hear the Keens, though).

As much as I'd like to take credit for some sort of vanilla/chocolate sorcery, I can't because it seems to be just an unintended consequence.

@StormCatcher.77, I'll fix the problem and re-release the level because I would prefer not to have a map that is broken for a large chunk of people playing it.

23 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

I guess it's a consequence of them checking collision with linedef 0 due to each BLOCKMAP list starting with 0, and this linedef happens to be on a side of one of the crushers, and the crusher is at the same height as the Keens, and they are already stuck between floor and ceiling (their height is 72, height of the sectors in which they are is 64).

@scifista42 I hadn't seen your response when I submitted mine (it came through while I was writing). I am not at all knowledgeable with the inner workings of the source code and how collision is checked, but what you're saying makes sense. I think the fix for this is relatively straightforward.

Edited by Pegleg : Scifista's response to Memfis.

2 hours ago, fabian said:

But Crispy *does* support MBF sky transfers (linedef 271 and 272), if that's what you are talking about.

Oh really?  You learn something new every day!  Well in which case Crispy users get a nice new sky too then.

2 hours ago, obake said:

@damo2k, did my map load in zdaemon? Mine is "1000 in Less than 10". I was looking forward to coop footage of my map.

Yea, nice and slaughterie! Its good. I'm sure people will stream and record it when the wad is played on TNS!

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I checked it last night, both in the editor and in Chocolate Doom. As far as I could tell, the doors remain open. The doors and windows are tagged with different numbers, so I don't see why they would have closed; they certainly shouldn't have. The doors should stay open once they're open and there should be no way to close them from outside.

I wonder if there's something different about zdaemon that would cause this problem. If someone else has had similar issues, let me know. I'm interested to know what happened.

So I had a look at this again in zdaemon. It seems that the doors never open in the center, but you can strafe run out the windows. Which would have led to more recent joining players to get stuck when the windows closed.

1 minute ago, damo2k said:

So I had a look at this again in zdaemon. It seems that the doors never open in the center, but you can strafe run out the windows. Which would have led to more recent joining players to get stuck when the windows closed.

OK. I understand now. And based on what @Memfis and @scifista42 said further up, I understand why it worked for me, but not for others. I'll fix the map and re-release it.

1 hour ago, damo2k said:

I'm sure people will stream and record it when the wad is played on TNS!

mine too!! pretty pls ;~;

i'm just lookin for feedback and demos and videos on my map in general

edit:

10 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

don't be so persistent about it, you've tried to get so many people to play it on this thread clogging it up

...i've only made two posts about it in this thread, bud (including this one).

And considering the fact that I seem to almost never get any feedback of any kind on my maps (besides speedmaps, which I don't care about), I think I have every right to be pretty frickin persistent about it, because people won't care when I ask about it 6-7 months down the line.

Edited by bonnie

28 minutes ago, bonnie said:

mine too!! pretty pls ;~;

i'm just lookin for feedback and demos and videos on my map in general

don't be so persistent about it, you've tried to get so many people to play it on this thread clogging it up

obviously if someone's gonna play it through and leave feedback, they're gonna leave it on yours and on everyone else's

Meant to report map35 coop bugs. There seems to be 3 of them. Again, zdaemon port, and in coop.

Other players cannot get in here once a player comes in. They have to wait for the gates to go down after a while.

3U3Zy5B.png

When a player enters this area, other players cannot enter the area after indefinatetly:\

8Yeefrl.png

Finally, at the end of the map where you meet the cybers, archies and finally the IoS head, when a player enters this area, no other players can get into this area. I didn't take a screenshot, but you will know where I am talking about, as its the end of the map. 

@damo2k Unfortunately, I made map35 for single-player, aside from adding additional player starts. So all lock-in fights currently don't have an option to get back in there. I've only played coop a couple of times, so designing for it is out of my element. I guess I could add some teleports outside, which become accessible when an lock-in fight occurs. You'll have to let me know what a good place for them would be though.  

11 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

@damo2k Unfortunately, I made map35 for single-player, aside from adding additional player starts. So all lock-in fights currently don't have an option to get back in there. I've only played coop a couple of times, so designing for it is out of my element. I guess I could add some teleports outside, which become accessible when an lock-in fight occurs. You'll have to let me know what a good place for them would be though.  

No problem. It would be good to get this map with the teleports outside the lock in areas as this map is really good and would be awesome for coop. As for a good location to put them, I'm not too sure exactly also. Maybe others can pitch in here, but ideally close by and sorta obvious so the player doesn't have to spend a long time looking for them. 

An alternative to teleports would be to have the bars open from the outside (repeatably) to let other players in, but then close again. This would leave single-player unchanged.

Over the past few days, I began to collect the next release by fixing a lot of my mistakes. At the moment, Beta 2 is already on its way, but I will hold the release, because found some problems:

1. The textures indicated in this post by are not in the original wads. I found out that this is not critical for the gameplay on these maps, besides map 03.
2. Map 03 by @TreeSquid can not be started in Chocolate Doom due to the missing texture.
3. Map 04 by @Roofi causes Chocolate Doom 3.0 to crash with an unknown error.

What message did you get? I tested my map several times with DOSbox and I never had any problem. It could be VPO because I remember that I had to remove some details because of VPO. I will correct my map if needed.