Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seed

PrBoom+ Mouse Question

Alright so I've been trying out some other source ports beside GZDoom to see how they look and feel and almost instantly after I checked PrBoom+ I got hit by a problem: mouse smoothing.

It's just impossible for me to play with it on, and even after turning it all the way down it was still there. Is there a way to disable it (other than messing with the mouse settings in Windows) ? I'd actually like to use PrBoom+, but with this thing on it's just a big no.

1 minute ago, rehelekretep said:

mouse smoothing?

are you using 2.4.1.5?

Yes.

I also tried 2.4.1.5 and encountered some strange behaviour when running fast and making quick turns with the mouse. It kind of felt like I'd get a major FPS drop while the game was still going at 100+.

10 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

try 2.5.1.4 and see if the issue persists? https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/

Much better.

There's still an overall difference in behavior compared to GZDoom but nowhere as insane as it was on 2.4.1.5.

I wish unbinding keys was a thing in PrBoom+ to get rid of some of the mess, but it's acceptable now.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

an overall difference in behavior

They are quite different at the beginning, so you need to take time to get used to it. Usually switching sourceport would definitely cause this. For example, I can never have a good setting in CnDoom. Glad that you switch to PrBoom+ for more vanilla experience, which is great :D

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

They are quite different at the beginning, so you need to take time to get used to it. Usually switching sourceport would definitely cause this. For example, I can never have a good setting in CnDoom. Glad that you switch to PrBoom+ for more vanilla experience, which is great :D

:D .

Yeah, compared to GZDoom it feels a little... slower, or so does the movement anyway, whereas in GZDoom I move and shake the mouse like a maniac. However, I already have a pretty darn vanilla experience with GZDoom with all the texture filtering and transparency turned off, Software lightning, and more, but I also wanted an actual and faster Software render, which it didn't exactly provide. Magnificent in OpenGL but not so shiny in Software.

And I also absolutely love the lightning in PrBoom+ which is basically the main reason why I started using it as well. GZDoom's Software render provides a pretty different lightning compared to this one and it's something I'm not exactly a fan of. I like how everything turns in shades of gray in the distance, especially in dark areas. GZDoom is and will remain my main source port, but I'll definitely also use PrBoom+ .

About the GZDoom software renderer, if you switch to palette mode (swtruecolor 0) then you should be getting shades of gray in the distance as well.

23 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

About the GZDoom software renderer, if you switch to palette mode (swtruecolor 0) then you should be getting shades of gray in the distance as well.

Is there an option in the settings menu somewhere as well or just a console variable?

Yes, the menu setting is in: Options -> Change Renderer -> Software Truecolor Mode -> Off

Edit: I should probably also mention there's a Troo Cullers mod for the GL renderer that adds a post processing shader which gives a similar effect in the distance.

Edited by dpJudas

5 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

Yes, the menu setting is in: Options -> Change Renderer -> Software Truecolor Mode -> Off

*Shades of gray intensify* -> https://s14.postimg.org/9vj5j2yk1/oooo.png

Thanks, but yeah even so PrBoom+'s Software render still looks better to me overall. Well at least GZDoom's comes a little closer to it now.

prboom also has the advantage on larger maps and/or maps with higher monster counts due to it basically being a more 'simple' engine. if youre not playing slaughter maps you probably will never notice though

4 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

yeah im talking about the most recent two prboom+ releases

Same for me, probably just twisted the numbers.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:25 AM, rehelekretep said:

prboom also has the advantage on larger maps and/or maps with higher monster counts due to it basically being a more 'simple' engine.

I know.

I do notice that despite the fact that my framerate in GZDoom's SW render is pretty high and it's very smooth, PrBoom+ still feels a little faster occasionally (didn't look at the exact numbers, and maybe that's also due to me keeping the fps cap enabled in GZDoom). I did run into some slaughter-like maps (or so I saw them) in one of the wads I've recently finished and I didn't notice any performance issues, although it's probably going to be noticeable in actual slaughter maps that I'm not yet sure I'll play anytime soon. I want to finish other wads first :D .

One thing I absolutely loathe in PrBoom+ though is the weapon bobbing. Holy shite that stuff's insane, especially on the chainsaw.

I'm quite sure there is either a bob slider or option to turn it off in GZDoom. It never really bothered me, but then again I use a crosshair.

22 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i wasnt aware of a difference in bob; can you adjust/turn it off in g/zdoom?

Yes, there's some speed related settings to it here, although I've never messed with them and never will, and is smoother or... simply more "normal" in general than how it is in PrBoom+ . I've also noticed there's a bug or something when pressing switches, the weapons move to either to the left or to right. It really is harder to get into PrBoom+ with all these, especially if coming from GZDoom, but I guess I'll figure it out in the end, and get used to it.

Edit: My point is not looking for a way to disable weapon bobbing altogether (I'd never want to anyway) but rather the fact that it's much smoother in GZDoom than it is in PrBoom+ . And this is particularly noticeable on the chainsaw, it's almost like a very slow and aggressive slideshow in PrBoom+ in comparison.

bumping this 4 year old thread because i searched for a fix for like an hour and this is the top search result for "prboom mouse smoothing" (sorry)

just in case anyone else needs this solution basically

basically what you need to do (in the latest build of PrBoom+) is replace the DLL files with "SDL2" in the name, with the ones in Chocolate/Crispy Doom, that fixed every single issue for me

the mouse feels much nicer now and basically feels like Crispy Doom's mouse movement