Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Maps by Dutch Devil

Dutch Devil @ idgames

Dutch Devil @ doomwiki

It should be no secret that I like a few maps by Dutch Devil. He knows his way around a doom editor and it shows in his work. Only a few levels present themselves as both well designed and enjoyable to play. Only a few shows his true talent, skills and willingness to go above and beyond the standard doom mapping fare. With these few maps he shows us that he is both an artist and a genius when it comes to Doom Mapping.

What Dutch Devil levels do you remember the most and can you not live without?

- The Odyssey of Evil (MAP07) - This map is an early masterpiece. It shows how in those days that one can make a well designed map. Though this map is a little flat in terms of height and a little too consistent in theme I think that is where this maps strength lies. The pain sound, from Johns head, was a very nice touch. It made the map stick out a little more to me.

- Toxin Refinery - This is a good example of how you can take an already established layout and improve upon it tremendously. He did a great job making the map feel nostalgic while making it feel fresh and new at the same time. I wish that he would remake episode 1 with this look and feel.

- Total Control - Probably my favorite map by him. It is both well designed with tons of detail it is a fun map to explore. I love this map because of its atmosphere, its emphasis on exploration, its non linear feel and its solid gameplay. I wish he would include this map in an episode with similar maps in terms of detail, atmosphere and style.

- Hangar 27 - A great replacement for E1M1. I like how it is similar without being a carbon copy in tearms of layout. It is a bit short but that is okay. This would be really cool if it was included in an episode with Total Control.

- Zero Tolerance - A nice 7 level map set in the vein of the 1024 maps that become popular about 10 years ago. I especially like map 7, with its texture choice and detail work it is by far the most visual appealing map in the lot. The red and black textures do it really well.

- Riot Control - I swear DD likes the word 'control'. In this 4 level map set all maps are designed in the same theme, similar architecture and texture pallet. I like how consistent it looks and how the gameplay is not deviated from its true core. You can beat this map set on difficulty 4 without pulling out your hair.

- Claustrophobia 1024: MAP20: Refinery - Though MAP23: Fear No Evil is also pretty amazing I think the cake goes to MAP20. This map is nicely detailed, gives the player the sense that the map continues on outside the given 1024 restrictive limit, It makes great use of the space, and it sticks true to a standard theme. This is one of my favorite 1024 sized maps indeed.

His contributions to 1Monster were pretty nice. Workin' On The Chain Gang (MAP13) and Castle Dorkenstein (MAP31, I'm nut sure is that the name of the map though) were extremely nicely detailed and played well, very well if you take into account that there was only 1 type of monster. The layout was really good, and MAP31 was extremely non-linear and it's a very fun map, even though it uses Nazis. Workin' On The Chain Gang is a bit more linear, but really challenging and, to me at least, has an extremely realistic and beautiful design.

His Paul Corfiatis Community Project contribution was a definite highlight. Very expansive and exploratory, with great music by Paul.

I really like the Thread idea...

There should be Discussions on Prolific Mappers and Dutch doomer is certainly an artist in doom mapping

I really enjoy his maps i would highlight my favorite points regarding his maps

Solid Architect  Location are easy to memorize and would give a feel as he gives detailing where it Enhance most

Combats  are mostly dynamic in his maps.he create challenging gameplay but Not the hyped slaughter type thankfully 

my favorites are from Ndcp 2 and his  community chest series contributions

I have such great memories from when Total Control came out. I've not played all of his work, but Total Control and Altar of Evil (I think is what it's called?) are probably my favorites

6 hours ago, Memfis said:

His Paul Corfiatis Community Project contribution was a definite highlight. Very expansive and exploratory, with great music by Paul.

A great map indeed! .... The Cement9 theme combined with metal and outdoor areas is just mouthwatering.

The standard song that he provided (in the main .wad) was a Duke Nukem 3D song (Aliens, Say Your Prayers!) that you often hear in megawads (although not as much as Gut Wrencher or Plasma) but there is a separate music wad with the original songs created by me, Jimmy, etc.

Dutch Doomer's always been one of my favorite mapper, Riot Control's the last mapset i played from him i oughta replay it again sometimes.

21 hours ago, NaZa said:

Workin' On The Chain Gang and Castle Dorkenstein

I haven't played those maps yet, but I might try playing them in the future. They don't look that bad from the YouTube videos.

21 hours ago, Memfis said:

His Paul Corfiatis Community Project contribution was a definite highlight.

Do you mean this wad 4 Levels That Got Lost. That map was the best map from that compilation by my opinion.

Additional note: that level looks very similar to Working on the Chain Gang (mentioned above) and a few other ones found in Zero Tolerance.

20 hours ago, Zahid said:

I really like the Thread idea...

Thank you very much.

6 hours ago, Shanoa said:

Dutch Doomer's always been one of my favorite mapper, Riot Control's the last mapset i played from him i oughta replay it again sometimes.

Mine too. I think that he is under appreciated at times. You should play Riot Control with the Heretic weapons or with the psychic mod when you get a chance. If you bolt on Ketchup with the heretic weapons you should have a wonderful time.

Last night I played Total Control with the Heretic weapons, I bolted on Ketchup and had a blast running around with the dragon claw. It felt very exhilarating and empowering.

5 hours ago, Halfblind said:

Mine too. I think that he is under appreciated at times. You should play Riot Control with the Heretic weapons or with the psychic mod when you get a chance. If you bolt on Ketchup with the heretic weapons you should have a wonderful time.

Last night I played Total Control with the Heretic weapons, I bolted on Ketchup and had a blast running around with the dragon claw. It felt very exhilarating and empowering.

That's a good idea, i always liked the feel of Heretic's weaponry, i think i'll do just that!