Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

7 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I didn't "just" find out about this, but I realized recently that you can set certain actions without defining a tag. Now, I already knew this about doors, but you can also set lifts without a tag, as Doom will try to figure out which sector to perform the action on. It gets complicated if your layout has a lot of adjacent sectors, but in plenty of instances it can do it without a tag.

That works in ZDoom. In Boom-format you need generalized actions that have "Door" triggers to accomplish this (the linedefs should also be facing the proper way); zero-tagged S/W/G-triggered actions will not work. In Vanilla, zero-tagged actions will affect every zero-tagged sector in the map, which can turn the map into bizarre broken machinery art. So, set tags everyone -- it takes like five seconds.

That nobody slowed down Doom soundtrack to play at 25% of its speed on youtube as playlist. For example, dark halls gets more moody with it and one loop lasts about 17 minutes. Maybe I should fix it... 

In the process of making a map I discovered that in the SKINMET1, SKINMET2, SKINSCAB, and SKINSYMB textures, the leftmost "pane" or skin is more narrow than the other two by 8 units.

If you divide the textures in the middle of the middle supports you would end up with widths of 80, 88, and 88. Considering id liked working on an 8x8 base and, regardless, 256 doesn't divide evenly by 3, it's a pretty good solution.

Someone posted this about 2.5 years ago, but I just found out that Mancubi sound like humans. All this time I didn't think they made any sound or I just didn't know what it was. Mind = blown.

@Pegleg One of my early experiences with Doom mapping had me trying to build wildly shaped map geometry where these textures would align properly while only being split at their metal borders, it sure taught me to work with small grid efficiently.

14 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

@Pegleg One of my early experiences with Doom mapping had me trying to build wildly shaped map geometry where these textures would align properly while only being split at their metal borders, it sure taught me to work with small grid efficiently.

Yes, indeed. That wad, in fact, how I found it. I was trying to split the texture along the metal border, particularly at corners, and I was having trouble figuring out why the panels weren't laying right and why doorways and lengths of linedefs were different.

I finally just made a 256 x 256 room off in the void to look at it and that's where I came to my realization. The 3D editing mode made visualizing this much easier. I could move a vertex and instantly see where the new linedef started. That would've been much more of a pain in the neck to do in the 90's (or anytime before the advent of the 3D mode), where that testing would've involved the drawn-out process of:

1. Save the map

2. Build the nodes

3. Exit the editor and load the map in Doom

4. Look at the room

5. Exit Doom and open the map in the editor

6. Move the vertex in question

7. Repeat Steps 1 through 6 as many times as necessary to get it right

Actually, it's enough to remember that the second panel has offset 80 and the third panel has offset (80 + 88) = 168, and be able to do modulo 256 arithmetic in head or have a ready calculator. Then adjusting line lengths and offsets can be accurately done without 3D or in-game preview.

3 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Actually, it's enough to remember that the second panel has offset 80 and the third panel has offset (80 + 88) = 168, and be able to do modulo 256 arithmetic in head or have a ready calculator. Then adjusting line lengths and offsets can be accurately done without 3D or in-game preview.

True enough, once you know that. I was referring more to the process to figure that out (at least the one I used). But you're right that is fairly straightforward once you know what the panel widths are.

It's more personal find out, but I learned that on nightmare skill, monsters resurrect themselves keeping same count and cyberdemon shoots rockects without any break (or small break). It was fun to blast it on test map. 

On 1/7/2018 at 2:43 PM, HAK3180 said:

Someone posted this about 2.5 years ago, but I just found out that Mancubi sound like humans. All this time I didn't think they made any sound or I just didn't know what it was. Mind = blown.

Interesting how some people notice that right away and others simply cannot. Must have something to do with the way you first interpreted the sound, and then it simply becomes ubiquitous while playing.

1 hour ago, Diamhea said:

Interesting how some people notice that right away and others simply cannot. Must have something to do with the way you first interpreted the sound, and then it simply becomes ubiquitous while playing.

That could very well be. When I was a youngster, I first thought it was Doomguy himself breathing, so yeah, ubiquity indeed. Eventually I realized it wasn't constant and subsequently that it was the former humans. I don't remember if that point was before or after I had played Doom 2.

On the Episode 2 intermission screen of Doom 1, the tower can be seen being built as the player progresses through the episode 😱

Twrbuild.gif
I did not notice this before.

U9qXv3M.png

(Community Chest MAP20)

I'm supposed to be dead, but I'm not, or am I? I can move and grab items... something with voodoo dolls maybe? If anyone could explain this, please.

@galileo31dos01 It's a voodoo doll thing that happens sometimes.  I saw it happen first in a Dime stream of Scythe, and have personally experienced it on several occasions since; any map where a voodoo doll can take damage.  I don't know the exact mechanics to provoke it, but i can record a demo that plays back with the same effect in multiple sourceports.

23 hours ago, riderr3 said:

On the Episode 2 intermission screen of Doom 1, the tower can be seen being built as the player progresses through the episode 😱

I did not notice this before.

Me neither. I noticed the other changes as I progressed just like in Doom 2, but not the tower itself.

Edited by Agent6

This Doom 1 texture in the middle of the screenshot, I ultimately do not remember seeing it ever.

3qwafPe.png

Edited by Avoozl

I recently found out you can still attack during teleports. So the player isn't actually 100% defenseless mid-tele-freeze. Also I think I've heard mancubi making the zombieman breath while wandering, not entirely sure, but I THINK so. Sourceport-wise, I also recently found out that Zandronum's bots are for some reason or another forced to "lower skills", or have their skills restricted to a certain low cap while in an online match. Which really throws me off, because my bots can usually mash my ass in an offline skirmish, yet when I host deathmatch they have a very clear lack of accuracy/reaction time.

23 minutes ago, AdirBlaz said:

I recently found out you can still attack during teleports.

In fact, you can exploit that with the BFG.

Suppose you have a situation where you are teleported to a room full of enemies. Start the BFG, let it load a tiny little bit, then step on the teleport and let the BFG fire after your move. Result: enemies are shot down but you did not open fire in the sector where you just teleported. Depending on the setup, this can be used to kill some enemies without waking up others, so then you can move out of the teleport spot and engage combat on your own terms.

By the way you can have variants of that where you shoot the projectile before teleporting and let it fly wherever it goes, relying just on the flash post-teleportation. Depends on the kind of timing you need. Anyway, it's the act of clicking the mouse button that wakes the enemies, not the act of the weapon shooting, so you can click, teleport, and let the ball get fired after teleportation. With very tight timing you can even do that with other weapons, like the supershotgun, but it's quite a bit harder since the delay is so short.

Ah, BROWNWEL. I mean, upon seeing it, I can understand why they never used it again.

21 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

@Avoozl What about the texture seen in the caged area at the start of E2M3 with the Cacodemons? You never see that anywhere else in the game.

BROWNWEL

2 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

@Avoozl What about the texture seen in the caged area at the start of E2M3 with the Cacodemons? You never see that anywhere else in the game.

I have seen that one plenty of times and remember it.

5 hours ago, Gez said:

In fact, you can exploit that with the BFG.

Suppose you have a situation where you are teleported to a room full of enemies. Start the BFG, let it load a tiny little bit, then step on the teleport and let the BFG fire after your move. Result: enemies are shot down but you did not open fire in the sector where you just teleported. Depending on the setup, this can be used to kill some enemies without waking up others, so then you can move out of the teleport spot and engage combat on your own terms.

By the way you can have variants of that where you shoot the projectile before teleporting and let it fly wherever it goes, relying just on the flash post-teleportation. Depends on the kind of timing you need. Anyway, it's the act of clicking the mouse button that wakes the enemies, not the act of the weapon shooting, so you can click, teleport, and let the ball get fired after teleportation. With very tight timing you can even do that with other weapons, like the supershotgun, but it's quite a bit harder since the delay is so short.

Speaking of learning something new.

Using the numeric 0 key on the automap saves your position and zoom level and zooms out so the map takes up the entire screen.  Pressing 0 again returns to your saved zoom level and position.

I never realized this was a feature of the game before today, and it's even listed on the help screen.  I've likely glossed over it in countless bind menus as well.

5 hours ago, Gez said:

In fact, you can exploit that with the BFG...

Woah, that's a thing I just found out - very cool and slick! I'll be adding that to my bag of tricks. This will elevate me from crappy player to crappy player with an extra trick! Did you do this first, or if not, where did you first see this technique? I'd love to see a demo :)