Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wintertowns

Number of wads on idgames?

I think there's about seven. Back to Sunday X, Slaughterhouse 2019, Shimmy with the Willies, Heck Returned, Daytonia 2001 and some others. Oh wait, there are the BRACK wads. They're sorta big.

Numeric file IDs on the doomworld frontend are about to pass 19000. In the early days, things other than wads were uploaded (like utilities and demo files), but maybe those are offset by some of the zips containing multiple WAD files...

19 hours ago, Jayextee said:

I think there's about seven. Back to Sunday X, Slaughterhouse 2019, Shimmy with the Willies, Heck Returned, Daytonia 2001 and some others. Oh wait, there are the BRACK wads. They're sorta big.

How could you forget two of the most famous wads of the 90s: Mentos Morty 1 & 2?

20 hours ago, wintertowns said:

What's the total number of WADs on idgames? Does anyone know? Was googling around but could not find a stat...

Judging from your avatar you're looking for the answer "ITS OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!" Is that it? Did I get that right?

21 hours ago, Memfis said:

Searching for "wad" gives 14656 results, but of course there are some false positives.

If I keep my goal of playing every wad on Doomworld, one a day, it would take me 39 years, give or take. 
... challenge accepted. 

2 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

Huh, I thought there's going to be millions of wads uploaded after all these years, guess not.

Some number of wads are definitely missing from the archives.

21 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Numeric file IDs on the doomworld frontend are about to pass 19000.

I'd wager that there are about 1K really good maps out there. Half of which no one except the archive maintainers even know about. There is most likely under 2K Heretic/Hexen wads that adds to that total.

19 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

If I keep my goal of playing every wad on Doomworld, one a day, it would take me 39 years, give or take. 
... challenge accepted. 

Keep us informed about that progress. I would like to know what awesome levels that you find along your way, especially the hidden gems. I did that once with all the Heretic and Hexen wads in the archive. I had to stop when I found out about Magic and Mayhem. It nearly tripled what was in the archive. I don't have the time or the patience to play 'all' the Doom maps out there only to find a handful of ones that I really, really like.

3 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Some number of wads are definitely missing from the archives.

Especially the ones jacked for use in Magic and Mayhem, D!Zone and H!Zone. I thought that those maps could not be uploaded to the archive but I keep running across them anyways.

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

Especially the ones jacked for use in Magic and Mayhem, D!Zone and H!Zone. I thought that those maps could not be uploaded to the archive but I keep running across them anyways.

That's probably what happened to a lot of my very earliest WADs.  Which has the positive effect of meaning that people browsing the archive today are spared them, but probably means that I owe an apology to anyone who bought stuff like D!Zone :)

On 1/9/2018 at 8:01 PM, Jayextee said:

I think there's about seven.

I thought it was a little bigger, along the lines of 42.

Oh well, I guess I was wrong.