Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PizzaGuy

Stand Up Comedy Thread

Just thought I'd spread some laughs and hopefully see some of yours. I thought this thread could be akin to the 'What are you listening to' thread.

One of my current recent stand up comedians is a guy I've only just discovered. Aries Spears , a funny guy and a great impressionist 

Oh hell yeah, I've been a huge fan of stand-up comedy since as far back as I can remember. Aries is great he was on MADtv back in the day.

Here's one of my favorite George Carlin bits:

One of the funniest bits I've ever seen!

EDIT: Oh man, I already knew Aires Spears and George Carlin were hilarious, but I've never properly watched Rodney Dangerfield, he's pure gold!

Edited by Doomkid

I once inadvertently found a 99% effective immediate cure for hiccups by listening to a George Carlin joke. It went something like "if there was a guy next to me who couldn't stop hiccuping, I'd ram my fist down his throat... it relaxes the diaphragm".

What I do is I stand up as tall as I can, exhale as much air as I can while bending forward, hold my (lack of) breath, raise back up, and try to breath as hard as I can through my diaphragm without actually letting any air in. Do this for about 10 seconds (as much as it hurts), and your hiccups should be gone and you'll feel physical relief. In the odd chance that they come back, it's not nearly as strong, and a second round kills them for good.

EDIT: Also that guy is totally right about Stallone and the like. He's good for silly roles like the movie depictions of Rambo or Judge Dredd, but proper adaptations of that source material would be better with, well, actual actors. Can you imagine a faithful adaptation of First Blood with Stallone? The book really was so much better than the movie, the characters and themes had some actual depth to them (especially the police chief guy) that was entirely erased from the movie.

Honestly, First Blood the movie was so bad I really wonder how it spawned a successful franchise. Rambo 2 was a good, fun movie that felt much more appropriate for the tone they had taken. First Blood's adaptation is a disgrace, not silly enough to be a fun action romp, and far too watered-down to make any real commentary on the state of soldiers returning home after Vietnam.

Edited by Blastfrog

I did standup comedy a decade ago for open mic night. My joke was going to be I get up there.... then go sit down. Then everyone laughs. When I tried doing that my friends yelled "tell us this story" "tell us that story." Stories my friends had heard before, stories that I probably don't even remember. 40 minutes of telling stories, I sat back down. People felt it was a standup routine I had practiced... no I just have a lot of friends so I tell the same stories over and over again.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:05 AM, Doomkid said:

One of the funniest bits I've ever seen!

EDIT: Oh man, I already knew Aires Spears and George Carlin were hilarious, but I've never properly watched Rodney Dangerfield, he's pure gold!

"I read so that I don't become a fucking waffle waitress...."  I love Bill; I wish he were still alive.... :(

Tom Segura is one of my faves