Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why does everybody misinterpret what old school fps games like Doom are?

For once we're in agreement, HG. You hit the nail on the head, especially about open level design: the fact that there was an exploration element sorely lacking in action shooters the past ten, fifteen years.

48 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I will try and illuminate this for you, can't promise it'll be brief, but might as well:

Your so-called opinions on Classic Doom in recent months have left a lot to be desired in terms of knowledge about the game in and of itself. In fact, some of that stuff was so lackluster that people thought you were a troll, and I have to admit that you managed to make it difficult for me to not get that impression.

And here we are, in a thread in which you give your "opinion" on a game that aims to be faithful to the FPSs "of old", which (according to my understanding of the steam refund system) you haven't even played for 2 hours or longer. Based on that obviously very limited exposure to a game which you personally did not like, you concluded that "everybody misinterprets what oldschool games like Doom are", which is one hell of a stretch if there ever was one.

If -at this point in time- you are in any way shape or form surprised that people are inclined to push you face first into that mess of a ramble which you pieced together, while you yourself actually, genuinely believe that...

... you have some catching up to do, because as it would appear, the majority of people around here have had more than enough reasons to let you know what you have been wrong about and why, repeatedly I might add... Don't be surprised that people eventually stopped taking your stuff serious.

You know what? I'd much prefer not to come across as if I was convinced that what's going on here is something you brought upon yourself somehow... But I'm really hard pressed to actually pull something out of my arse that could be in your favour, other than "childish responses are childish, and people shouldn't take that shit too far", but that's all I have... There's no defending you for giving an undercooked opinion on a game (undercooked by your own admission, mind you), and talking smack about how "nobody gets it right", especially with the background Xaser mentioned (not that he had to, because you made a name for yourself, believe it or not).

You wanna talk about how good a game is at what it does or not? Do it like other reviewers, sit down for a couple days, and play that thing from start to finish. Only playing a couple maps doesn't say much, and it's way too easy to label it as kneejerk reaction to begin with.

So there you have it, my take on why you reel in the reactions you currently get... Could quite possibly all be wasted effort, but first off I just hate it when people play the victim card for reaping what they sow, and second off I figured I'd give you the benefit of the doubt for what could very well be the last time.

This, @hardcore_gamer is probably the most constructive post explaining the mistakes you've made that you'll probably ever see.

I doubt anyone has something specifically against you, but people doubt your credibility due to how questionable are some of your threads regarding Doom and the nature of its gameplay. I personally found this to be one of the most surprising of all of them.

You have also looked for opinions in one of the worst places possible, that being YT comments section, a place where rarely something constructive and thoughtful is seen, and have also overgeneralized the number of people who like the game ("Why does everybody... ").

It is perfectly fine if you didn't like the game, but it is crucial to get the facts right, and if you want to cite opinions you also have to in better places where the likelihood of seeing thoughtful (and more complex posts/opinions, for that matter) is much higher.

All these being said, it would've been better if the thread wouldn't have degenerated into insults here and there. I hope this will be avoided from here on, that is, if there's still hope for the thread.

10 hours ago, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

Because kids are too busy stuffing their faces full of CoD to remember how it was back then.

go ahead, pin the blame on CoD, will ya!

You know what I mean.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You wanna talk about how good a game is at what it does or not? Do it like other reviewers, sit down for a couple days, and play that thing from start to finish. Only playing a couple maps doesn't say much, and it's way too easy to label it as kneejerk reaction to begin with.

Separating the reviewers from the journalists, nice.