Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Memorable Mapnames

Contrary to popular belief, levels of Doom have their names, instead of numerical codes, like E1M6 and MAP31. Yes, every level has its name. Whether it's a good level or a bad level, it has its own name to represent the level itself. And it's a common belief among the mappers that giving a name to the level is the most difficult part in level designing progress...... well, at least to me. :P

There are many mapnames in the world of doom levels. While many of them were just gone from your memory, since they were just too mediocre to remember, I believe that you guys have some mapnames that attracted your mind at first sight. There can be many reasons to pick your favorite mapnames; it looks cool, or it really fits to the level, or you just like the name. That being said, here are some of my personal memorable mapnames:

• Afterlife II (Scythe 2)
  • Mt. Erebus (Ultimate Doom)
  • Human BBQ (TNT: Evilution)
  • Barrels o' Fun (Doom 2)
  • Ticket to Eternity (Plutonia 2)
  • Fightnancial Crisis at Enwrong (THT: Threnody)
  • The Ancient Navajo Wolf Warp (Ancient Aliens)
  • One Flew Over the Caco's Nest (Alien Vendetta)
  • Wrath of The Wingless Pigeon (Doomworld Mega Project 2017) 
  • Big Dwayne's Orbital Concrete and Propane Emporium (50 Shades of Graytall)

Feel free to share your memorable mapnames from any doom wads. You can also mention the name from other games with doom engine, such as Heretic and Hexen, and PWADs about them.

Guest Unregistered account

Everything from Spacedm5. Awesome WAD.

Halls of the Fucking Damned!

Out of the IWADs it was usually the less generic sounding ones that stood out most, so there's HotD but I also like

• Deimos Anomaly (Doom E2M1)
  • Perfect Hatred (Doom E4M2)
  • Sever the Wicked (Doom E4M3)
  • Twilight Descends (PSX Doom Level 29)
  • Threshold of Pain (PSX Doom Level 30, even has an excellent WAD named after it!)
  • The Gantlet (Doom II MAP03)
  • 'O' of Destruction! (Doom II MAP11)
  • The Inmost Dens (Doom II MAP14)
  • The Abandoned Mines (Doom II MAP26)
  • Redemption Denied  (PSX Doom Level 54)
  • Deepest Reaches (TNT MAP16)

PWADs...

• God Machine (Sunlust MAP30)
  • Harvester's Reminiscence (Doomworld Mega Project 2016 MAP25)
  • The Eclipse of Betelgeuse (SlaughterMAX? I haven't played this map but what a name!)
  • Beloved Asphyxia ([redacted])
  • Cunt Mansion (one of the ASS wads, usually not a fan of these jokey names but this one got me :P)

(edit): Also, The Forgotten God (TVR! MAP30), can't believe I forgot about that one until now :D

Level names seem like a bit of an afterthought nowadays, a lot of the time maps either have generic/uninteresting names or the name is just something silly and it's 50/50 whether that actually works IMO. Hats off to those who still come up with great names for maps, it really does help a map's identity in a small way.

Edited by Eris Falling

Heretic E3M6: the halls of fear. Before I had the registered version of the game, I looked at the screenshots in DoomGate where the name stuck.

Perhaps Now The Vultures (Back to Saturn X: Episode 2, I forget which map).

edit- great minds heh ^^^

Go Fuck Yourself

When I saw it I was hoping that "Go Fuck Yourself" is a quote from playtesters but apparently that's not the case. :(

5 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

m29 of Sunlust comes immediately to mind:

also, m29 of Ancient Aliens, The Ones Behind It All

50 Monsters Map29: The Finest Joke Is upon Us  :D  (<-BTW, did I capitalize this correctly? It feels weird.)

Yeah, the AA one is also pretty cool, with the design of the map.

Thy Flesh Consumed comes to mind, especially "And Hell Followed."

Also, "Odyssey of Noises" (Plutonia 29). As a youngster, I remember thinking Odyssey was such an awesome word. 

I haven't really played pwads enough times for the map names to stick with me, or they just aren't memorable. I'll go with the former.

Ogdoad from Epic 2. Why?

Well, despite how infuriating the map is, it has a meaningful purpose. Ogdoad was the name of a group formed by 8 primordial deities in the Ancient Egypt. And the map has 8 switches that are scattered in several locations. Pretty neat if you ask me...

Mostly Harmful 

When The Heavens Fall

The Living End 

Perfect Hatred

Watch Your Step

"Dead Simple" from vanilla Doom 2. Unusual, yet ominous and foreboding. You know it's not going to be simple.

The Biblical references in Thy Flesh Consumed are also neat.

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Ogdoad from Epic 2. Why?

Well, despite how infuriating the map is, it has a meaningful purpose. Ogdoad was the name of a group formed by 8 primordial deities in the Ancient Egypt. And the map has 8 switches that are scattered in several locations. Pretty neat if you ask me...

god, I love Ogdoad, from the expansiveness to the detailing to its difficulty which is right at the upper reaches of what I can beat if I'm paying full attention - that sort of Eternal Doom-style "What am I doing and why am I already dead?" experience in full

30 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

(<-BTW, did I capitalize this correctly? It feels weird.)

The Finest Joke is Upon Us.

map names that really close out a wad tickle my fancy

stuff like tnt map30: last call, doom 2 map29: the living end, dark covenent map12: last ship out

really names that make ya feel like "oh man this is it zoo wee mama"

20 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

The Finest Joke is Upon Us.

Yeah, this looks much better. However, according to what I read, it says "be-verb" should be capitalized (in one style), and prepositions with fewer than 5 letters should not...

I always had a massive soft spot for Insane Gazebo's Sunder names, especially:

• Hollow Icon
  • Pale Monument

Funnily enough I never like Episode 4's names. A good map name should simultaneously describe the map (the theme or the setting) and put you in the right emotional mindset. 

The very best IWAD names do this: Phobos Anomaly, Mt. Erebus, Halls of the Damned (there are a lot of hallways!), Dead Simple, The Crusher, Barrels 'o Fun, Monster Condo, The Living End etc. etc. Each of those names tells you something about the map, be it the setting, the level features, or even it's position in the IWAD.

Quotes from the Bible certainly help put you in the mindset, but don't tell you anything about the level. Sever the Wicked is a cool phrase, but it doesn't say anything about the level IMO.

Mount Pain's name is so memorable and strikingly visceral that people think it's difficul-- *ducks a tomato*

I find that some of the most memorable level names to me are those weird things people name their speedmaps.

Take, for example, "Alfonzo's Romerian Romp through the Caves of Jongoloth" (from ASS 2)