Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Game is a bit too easy ?

I have started replaying the game recently and it has become more apparent that the game doesn't do a good job at challenging the players brain, you go upstairs, Pickup the key, right next to the key is a hatch, you open it and you're quickly taken back to the door for that key you just picked up, I hate it when games treat players like idiots and do not let them do things by themselves, only level where I truly felt like I'm looking for keys and gore nests by myself was the Foundry, I had totally no problem with the linearity of other levels but the thing that's been bugging me the most is how "obvious" the solutions are, Anyone else feels the same way?

Edited by sluggard

It's not Monkey Island, the action is supposed to be the challenge. I'd be pissed if I had to waste time running around looking for keys in doom 2016.

14 minutes ago, RightField said:

the action is supposed to be the challenge.

And yet even those lockdowns and encounters aren't that difficult, they get repetitive especially because you're not doing more than slaying demons 80% of the time.

2 hours ago, RightField said:

It's not Monkey Island, the action is supposed to be the challenge. I'd be pissed if I had to waste time running around looking for keys in doom 2016.

This! Go play Monkey Island if you're looking for adventure. DOOM is about slaying demons.

1 hour ago, Marnetstapler said:

Because the average joe who occasionally plays video games in his spare time would put it back down and never pick it back up again.

Exactly! There are much more causal gamers these days than there are hardcore. We live much busier lives now which means free time is hard to come by. 

2 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

And yet even those lockdowns and encounters aren't that difficult, they get repetitive especially because you're not doing more than slaying demons 80% of the time.

Excuse me "pro gamer" . He's probably still playing on "I'm too young to die". The area where you're riding that train in the Vega Central Processing level is a pretty challenging encounter. Even after several playthroughs I can still struggle with it. 

I'm playing on Ultra violence and all I really did to get past that room was circle run around the room and shoot the big guys, they're dumb and easy to kill, and luckily whenever I needed a health boost an imp or plasma guy pops out nearby.

Thanks to homing rockets upgrade taking down revenants was no problem.

8 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

I'm playing on Ultra violence and all I really did to get past that room was circle run around the room and shoot the big guys, they're dumb and easy to kill, and luckily whenever I needed a health boost an imp or plasma guy pops out nearby.

Thanks to homing rockets upgrade taking down revenants was no problem.

Try Nightmare instead. I also found UV to be easy for myself when I first played it. Nightmare gives some more challenge. The picture you posted, from Vega Central Processing, is from inside a secret room that is accessed via a hatch on the floor, which can be easily missed. So the blue key is inside a secret there that also has the entrance to the classic map. :)

I don't mind the difficulty of fights, I think the keycards and switches are lazily placed, In Doom games that came before it they're not well hidden but they're also not so easy to reach, Hell even custom levelpacks managed to do this right, It doesn't take lot of time to find them but at least It felt like I earned the right to get the keys and switches in those.

It felt rewarding to find them.

Edited by dmg_64

Seems like its "streamlined" to not "offend" the player with having to put in some effort.

Keys become a mere prop in such scenarios and thus there's way less fun in exploring these worlds. A good deal of more recent games seem like an adventure on rails. 

3 hours ago, _bruce_ said:

Seems like its "streamlined" to not "offend" the player with having to put in some effort.

Keys become a mere prop in such scenarios and thus there's way less fun in exploring these worlds. A good deal of more recent games seem like an adventure on rails. 

Funny you say that since your avatar is an actual key-card. It's only fitting that you participate in this thread. 

I also want to point out that secret finding can require thought, time and analysis. You want to be slowed prior the next fight? Go find all secrets.

As for the combat challenge, it is difficult enough for anyone in the appropriate settings. I wouldn't be surprised you died more than you remember in your first play through.

Edited by Chezza

On 1/11/2018 at 2:51 AM, Chezza said:

As for the combat challenge, it is difficult enough for anyone in the appropriate settings. I wouldn't be surprised you died more thans than you remember in your first play through.

The challenges do become rather easy later in the game. I created my own challenges to keep things fresh and interesting. I once completed Titan's Realm while my girlfriend went down on me. I called it "BFG BLOWOUT" .  

Doom 2016's lack of emphasis on puzzles/exploration is pretty much the only qualm I have with it. I wonder if it would have been "too hardcore" for modern gamers to go a more classic route in this regard.

24 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Doom 2016's lack of emphasis on puzzles/exploration is pretty much the only qualm I have with it. I wonder if it would have been "too hardcore" for modern gamers to go a more classic route in this regard.

I think it's more just the fact that when you hop out of this little niche of the internet, Doom is more remembered for its ultraviolence and movement-based combat while keyhunts are mocked as a dated and unfun cliche of old FPSes.

4 hours ago, Arctangent said:

I think it's more just the fact that when you hop out of this little niche of the internet, Doom is more remembered for its ultraviolence and movement-based combat while keyhunts are mocked as a dated and unfun cliche of old FPSes.

Isn't that essentially what he said, except with less edge?

Just now, Da Werecat said:

Isn't that essentially what he said, except with less edge?

Well, there's a pretty big difference between proclaiming that a change was because modern gamers are little baby men that exist only to be mocked and pointing out that people were mocking keyhunts back around the era of Quake 2. Possibly before that, even.

33 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Well, there's a pretty big difference between proclaiming that a change was because modern gamers are little baby men that exist only to be mocked

He never called modern gamers "little baby men". Most gamers today simply aren't looking for or interested in keycard hunts. Perhaps the sequel will incorporate more exploration in it's level design if the demand is there. Let's not twist the facts around. This is doomworld not CNN. 

Just now, MK-ULTRA said:

This is a doomworld not CNN. 

why do people insist on outing themselves as absolutely terrible in ways they think are subtle but really aren't

45 minutes ago, MK-ULTRA said:

Perhaps the sequel will incorporate more exploration in it's level design if the demand is there.

Considering the positive reception and all the praise Singleplayer Campaign has been getting I Highly doubt they're going to change that :/

22 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Considering the positive reception and all the praise Singleplayer Campaign has been getting I Highly doubt they're going to change that :/

I remember reading many reviews that pointed out the lack of exploration in most levels especially the later ones. Most people were critical of the later stages being a culmination of locked arena battles. I really do hope ID has acknowledged these concerns going into the next game. Many successful sequels expand and improve upon the original game. Let's hope this is the case for DOOM 2016. 

7 hours ago, Arctangent said:

in all seriousness, this is not without merit, honestly. there's a lot of times were i find myself running around in circles searching for keycards, or worse, switches to activate something, with little signposting as to where the keys are located or what the switches actually did. Doom is a lesser offender of this, though, since the level-design isn't as complex or maze-like, when compared to something like Duke 3D, which has much more intricately designed mazes that you get lost in, but still, when it comes to PWADs (and TNT's levels), progression can be annoyingly halted by having to find these damn keys and switches.

I personally don't find them that annoying, IMO they give the game a little bit of sense of progression.

If every game was Dark Souls, Dark Souls wouldn't be Dark Souls, rendering this whole post invalid. The point is, not every game has to be Dark Souls. 

3 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Um, I wasn't talking about the difficulty of encounters / fights.

In all fairness, it's not necessarily always crystal clear what you need to do to progress in DS. Very little hand holding. That was one of your complaints, right?