Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
94's the best style

Crashdown- a vanilla compatible map

The Doomworld Mega project 2018 was pretty strict about rules, no problem for Topi, in fact, it offered a nice opportunity to try making an intentionally in vanilla limits map.

Story: Good news: You're out of the God forsaken Mars and its moons. The bad news: It's hard to find any parking space in the city. The worse news: In the panic, you and your buddies didn't have time to properly clean your escape vehicle, a massive cargo ship, and now the stowaways are looking for room service, yikes! The worst news: The ship's two-storey-building-sized fusion reactor is about to blow up! Better hit the four emergency shutdown switches or the local goverment is going to get a good amount of development ready land, and we can't have that. So grab whatever the carry-on rules allowed you to take with you in person, and try to improve your life expectancy by a bit. 

np00y5A.png

You would think that UAC would have multiple monitors show different things, I wonder if you could play Doom in multi screen mode with these.

ZNUrgFW.png

Try the big red button, it can't worsen your situation.

9mVwXaW.png

You know, maybe we should have taken our chances with Phobos. 

Download link (ver. 1.2): https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2zo9va368bu8jm/Crashdown2.zip?dl=0

Feedback is appreciated and recommended.

Style: Techbase/ship and Urban. Secrets

Difficulty: Fully implemented difficulty levels, HMP recommended.

Length: Medium, about five or more minutes on successful run. 

Doom 2,

Co-op starts for 4.

Tested in GZDoom 3.2.5 and Chocolate Doom 2.2.1

Author: Topi Hattukangas (Dat's me!)

Please report to me if you find visplane overflow or any other vanilla crashers, I didn't have problems when testing by myself, but there could be some obscure spot that makes the game shit itself. 

Edited by 94's the best style

1 minute ago, Walter confetti said:

looks nice, but why this isn't on the dmp 2018 thread?

Because the rules, at least back when i last checked on them, didn't allow for changes to be made retroactively, so I posted this separately to get feedback. 

36 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

Because the rules, at least back when i last checked on them, didn't allow for changes to be made retroactively, so I posted this separately to get feedback. 

This seems to me like quite a brazen attempt to subvert said rules; let's just hope for your sake you don't get caught!☺ At least there's always the "other" DMP2018.

MAP01 DEAD 17/231 214 14/64 0/15 1:58+34

Anyway, here's a very short first attempt. So at first, before I get any kind of weapon upgrade, or ammo, it seems I've to squeeze past multiple revenants in fairly narrow corridors. Not enough ammo to kill them and all the other imps/zombies around, and even if there were, I'd have to use a pistol to do it. No thanks. I dodged through some other pair of doors, and ended up in an arena with the blue key, but with naught but a pistol + 17 bullets, reduced to 42 health / 10 green armour, surrounded by lost souls, a row of revenants and hellknights on a ledge, and the way back out apparently now locked, I pretty much gave up. Perhaps I just missed something obvious (e.g. there are 15 secrets of which I found exactly 0) or, most likely, should not have recorded blind on UV (you did say HMP recommended).

41 minutes ago, RjY said:

This seems to me like quite a brazen attempt to subvert said rules; let's just hope for your sake you don't get caught!☺ At least there's always the "other" DMP2018.

MAP01 DEAD 17/231 214 14/64 0/15 1:58+34

Anyway, here's a very short first attempt. So at first, before I get any kind of weapon upgrade, or ammo, it seems I've to squeeze past multiple revenants in fairly narrow corridors. Not enough ammo to kill them and all the other imps/zombies around, and even if there were, I'd have to use a pistol to do it. No thanks. I dodged through some other pair of doors, and ended up in an arena with the blue key, but with naught but a pistol + 17 bullets, reduced to 42 health / 10 green armour, surrounded by lost souls, a row of revenants and hellknights on a ledge, and the way back out apparently now locked, I pretty much gave up. Perhaps I just missed something obvious (e.g. there are 15 secrets of which I found exactly 0) or, most likely, should not have recorded blind on UV (you did say HMP recommended).

Yeah, don't try this in UV without saves if you don't know where the secrets are, those give you a massive head start in weaponry. The lost souls, for example, only appear in UV in that room, and without shotgun it won't be fun to complete (as a bonus tip, my mapping style usually includes a bit of running away from the evil before you can saw the demons.)

MAP01 DEAD 121/182 61 52/64 10/15 29:09+33

Second attempt on Hurt Me Plenty, got quite far (~2/3 or so) until left with no choice but to run through slime in pitch darkness and ran out of health. Was a shame that I ran too fast from sector 269 up the stairs and off sector 100 to avoid an unknown number of hellknights remaining on the ledge; leaves no choice but to do the slime run again and go all the way back around the entire level. I was enjoying this, except for the excessive darkness which just invites gamma abuse / ddt mode. Please raise the light levels, and stop using mass lights off specials so much: as it is, it's a total annoyance to play. Bug: sector 238 doesn't open from the north as door special line 1334 is blocked by crusher special line 1349.

7 minutes ago, RjY said:

Second attempt on Hurt Me Plenty, got quite far (~2/3 or so) until left with no choice but to run through slime in pitch darkness and ran out of health. Was a shame that I ran too fast from sector 269 up the stairs and off sector 100 to avoid an unknown number of hellknights remaining on the ledge; leaves no choice but to do the slime run again and go all the way back around the entire level. I was enjoying this, except for the excessive darkness which just invites gamma abuse / ddt mode. Please raise the light levels, and stop using mass lights off specials so much: as it is, it's a total annoyance to play. Bug: sector 238 doesn't open from the north as door special line 1334 is blocked by crusher special line 1349.

Excuse me, but what sourceport did you record these demos on?

46 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

Excuse me, but what sourceport did you record these demos on?

One based on an old version of PrBoom, functionally identical for demo recording purposes. The demos are just regular Doom2 v1.9 format (complevel 2), gzipped for uploading. Any vanilla demo-compatible engine should play them once uncompressed; I am led to believe various common windows tools such as winzip can handle them.

8 minutes ago, RjY said:

One based on an old version of PrBoom, functionally identical for demo recording purposes. The demos are just regular Doom2 v1.9 format (complevel 2), gzipped for uploading. Any vanilla demo-compatible engine should play them once uncompressed; I am led to believe various common windows tools such as winzip can handle them.

That's the thing! I didn't recognize them as compressed files, for I haven't seen .gz been used before. The fact that the filename includes the demo's file extension didn't help, but now that I know, I easily decompressed them. 

2 hours ago, RjY said:

Thanks, made some improvements based on these comments. The slime in the slimerun you died to changed into weaker blood, light levels increased in most places, only the blue key room, the spectre closet (but not the room right next to it) the dark spectre place in between the command decks and the archvile hallway kept same, everything else got substantial light increase.