Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PlayfulPuppy

The leak affecting Doom 3.

I saw it over at my friends place today, and I dont really see this leak as a bad thing, so far at least.

The leak hasn't revealed very much new stuff at all, as it's EXACTLY what was shown at E3. There's hardly a corridor that wasn't shown in the E3 movie, and I mean that literally. It's not like the Quake 1 alpha that got released, that was something along the lines of 95% complete.

So, lack of new info = more suprise when Doom 3 actually gets released... so anyone paranoid about stumbling across screenshots or info they didn't want to know until release can rest easy. :)

[mod]Please, don't give any info on details away![/mod]

And it's restored my faith that Doom 3 will actually be a fun game. After Carmacks recent blunder with the PC Gamer 'exclusive', I was worried this game wouldn't be any fun, or even interesting... especially about how Carmack explained the lack of a use key, and looking at buttons to press them.

But when playing the leak, you realise how well the 'look and press' method of interaction actually HELPS with the game flow. It really adds to the interactivity you can have without losing the immersion (Like it Deus EX where you pressed a keypad and an image of a keypad took over the screen).

However, there is bad news, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the leak itself.

Being an ALPHA (For those who dont know, ALPHA is more-or-less the point where a game is playable, yet buggy as hell. BETA, which is often confused with ALPHA, is when the game is actually finished and passed on to quality assurance to squash any unforseen bugs), there are a LOT of problems, and the menus haven't been implemented yet so you have to modify key-bindings yourself.

[mod]same as before[/mod]

Now, most Doom fans realise it's an Alpha, and will turn a blind eye to these problems. But a lot of 'new blood' gamers have a bad habit of being stupid, and expect this to be a representation of the final product (Or simply put, 'A demo'). This could put Doom 3 in a HORRIBLY negative light for them, with 'jerky graphics', 'stupid unconfigurable controls' and 'boring levels'. And Id cant stop Doom 3 reaching these people... it only takes one person in a group to start spreading it for it to reach 10 other groups of people. If people want it, they WILL get it. Let's just hope they're distracted by the pretty graphics, or have realistic expectations... because otherwise it will hurt the sales of Doom 3, and subsequently Id, substantially.

[NOTE to moderator]: You said we were allowed to talk about the leak, but if I've gone into too much detail for your tastes, please let me know and I will remove the 'offending' parts. :)

You're right, you are allowed to talk about it, but to be honest with you, I don't like ANY spoilers whatsoever - even if it's just the slightest things, so I removed the bits in your post which described elements in the alpha.

The reason why we try to keep stuff about the leaked stuff away is, as Linguica has pointed out in the att leaked stuff thread, that id are quite pissed off about this thing getting leaked - that's really just the reason.

Oh and btw, glad to see a newbie who displays some intelligence :-)

Yeah, I'd say this leak sucks, but it is fun, can get like 30fps and nice smoothness, seems like everyone except for me is gettin teh slowz0r, oh well.

I just gotta say, for an incomplete alpha/beta, its the most fun game i've played in a LONG TIME. THIS GAME IS/WILL BE revolutionary.

Oh and btw, glad to see a newbie who displays some intelligence :-)

More likely he's been on another gaming/mod forums (like myself) and understands the linsk and attitudes of places like this, as well as other community ideas/concepts i.e those of "vets".

Btw PlayfulPuppy, you're from the 3DR UBB aren't you?

I won't even look at the official screenshots for this reason. The surprise factor would be that much greater. As for leaked, unofficial screenshots and beta, I put them on the same level as unfounded rumors, which I never believe, no matter how truthful they may sound.

Livo said:

Btw PlayfulPuppy, you're from the 3DR UBB aren't you?

Yup. :)

And yeah, I thought it best to be courteous about this topic, because most fans of games will defend the interests of it's creator.

... although I just realised my irony of saying "No new details to give away!" then giving details away... ^_^

But that's a wierd stance to take, Ichor (Pretending it's merely a rumor)... must take a hell of a lot of will for that.

Ok, it seems like this [sarcasm]overly genius of a Mod[/sarcasm] has done a mistake.

I have removed some lines in a Member's post (playfulpuppy) in this thread because they gave away info on things in the Alpha, which is not an offense in any way - I just felt that it wasn't right to give any spoilers to those who haven't seen the leak (or those who don't WANT to have anything with the leak to do).

My humblest apologies.

Just so people would know...

If you haven't seen the leak (only the videos), you haven't lost a thing... wait for the full version...

Heh, I already created the first doom3 mod... :P

Nothing too spectactular, but my Imps now fire blue fireballs, instead of orange ones. Heh.

...and i have done a whole new WAD for it. in fact i wrote a little wad->map converter!

;-)

dsm said:

Ok, it seems like this [sarcasm]overly genius of a Mod[/sarcasm] has done a mistake.

I have removed some lines in a Member's post (playfulpuppy) in this thread because they gave away info on things in the Alpha, which is not an offense in any way - I just felt that it wasn't right to give any spoilers to those who haven't seen the leak (or those who don't WANT to have anything with the leak to do).

My humblest apologies.

That's cool, dont know why you're apologising. :) I said down the bottom of the post you could remove stuff if you deemed it inappropriate. ^_^

BTW, people, if you want to make a thread and it has spoilers PLEASE put ***SPOILERS INSIDE*** in the thread title so people who don't want things spoiled know beforehand.

MaCvILeWhOrE said:
Yeah, I'd say this leak sucks, but it is fun, can get like 30fps and nice smoothness, seems like everyone except for me is gettin teh slowz0r, oh well.

I just gotta say, for an incomplete alpha/beta, its the most fun game i've played in a LONG TIME. THIS GAME IS/WILL BE revolutionary.

I must say, That is very good news!

PlayfulPuppy said:

I was actually opposed to Doom 3 before playing it. :D

Just curious: why?

Uh, does anyone know how this thing got leaked?

Stupid question, I know, but there are idiots out there calling this "leak" an elerborate (sp) marketing scheme, and I really want to shut them up without resorting to obscenities.

dsm said:

Just curious: why?

Because of what Carmack was saying in the PC Gamer preview.

I realise that the graphics rock, yeah, but that preview really made it sound like that was it.

And Trasher][, there's no disproving that it WASN'T deliberate.

But no-one said it was Id who leaked it, but that doesn't make it any less intentional.

PlayfulPuppy said:

And Trasher][, there's no disproving that it WASN'T deliberate.

True, but then again, id does not want a version of their game floating around so that their competitors can check out the code and use it in their upcoming games.

PlayfulPuppy said:

Code?

What code?

I really doubt people are going to try and reverse-engineer an EXE. :)

Yeah they will. This is real life we're talking about. Everyone WILL backstab everyone else to get ahead. That's what it boils down to these days.

wow,that sounds promising.
i was thinking about getting it.but now i gonna wait for official release.

and hi Playfulpuppy,i have read many of your posts on 3DR UBB.
welcome to DW.

PlayfulPuppy said:

I kinda doubt it. :)

There's nothing THAT revolutionary in the Doom 3 engine, you know.

Aah, but do you have proof that they won't rip stuff from it?