Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

When using the music pack and an sf2, some midis (an example being what plays in e1m8 of Double Impact) crackle sometimes. To make matters worse, with the official build, I am unable to use Timidity GUS patches in Native MIDI mode as i used to before (for example, in the autobuild builds)

Like I said, in version 5.0 all was ok... Fix it please. Also I would like an option, which disables a demo bar.

I also noticed that the music sound in the game always higher than other sounds, but in Chocolate Doom all is ok with it. Is it fixable?

Edited by MAJ

@buvk I have seen that you have already filed an issue upstream at Choco's bug tracker. Thanks for that, this is exactly what I would have asked you for, as Crispy and Choco share the same low-level music code.

@MAJ Please check these settings (not my own picture) and make sure they are identical (and reasonable!) for both your speakers and head phones:

Set-the-bit-rate-as-per-devices-capacity

Please try to set all devices to e.g. "CD quality" for a first attempt.

@Danfun64 The 5.0 release and the daily snapshots are built against older versions of the SDL libraries (SDL 2.0.5 IIRC). The 5.1 release is built against the latest library versions. Could you please check if moving or renaming crispy-midiproc.exe out of the way makes a difference?

13 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

Not all sound devices support 24/192, you know.

2 hours ago, fabian said:

Renamed crispy-midiproc.exe to crispy-midiproc.bak . Built in Fluidsynth still crackles. Timidity GUS patches now work properly (and without any crackling). 

So basically crispy-midiproc.exe disables timidity support, and using the native windows synth still doesn't allow changing midi volume.

22 hours ago, fabian said:

@MAJ Please check these settings (not my own picture) and make sure they are identical (and reasonable!) for both your speakers and head phones:

Set-the-bit-rate-as-per-devices-capacity

My headphones always had this maximum value for the best quality and I won't to change that, but my monitor speakers have only this unlikely... :(

I set my headphones and speakers to CD and DVD quality for test - it have no sense, "cartoon" sounds stays and high music sound\low other sounds on the same values. I also noticed that "cartoon" sounds are much louder.

P.S. Latest dev builds (16-17 jan, others are not checked) has no "cartoons"...

Edited by MAJ

On 1/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, Danfun64 said:

So basically crispy-midiproc.exe disables timidity support, and using the native windows synth still doesn't allow changing midi volume.

Making sure timidity was working was one of the things I checked when working on midiproc.  How exactly do you have timidity set up?

The only thing I did was set timidity_cfg_path. I didn't add in any dll's to the crispy doom package (except the music pack dlls, but those are irrelevant to SDL_mixer's built in timidity)

Question: 

In this version and 5.0 there's this "issue" that the game's screen has black bars on the sides, I tried many options in the config .exe and I can't seem to adjust the screen. This didn't happen in 4.2 and previous releases as the game's screen occupied the entire monitor. What can I do? 

I also noticed that the problem with the maps' titles in the intermission screen was fixed (titles in specific wads didn't appear, like in ConC.E.R.Ned), so that's great! 

Thank you so much for making the map colors optional!  This source port is now basically perfect for me :D

I've noticed the automap always seems to be in 640x400 whether you're using high or low detail.  Is this intended?

I hope it run in my PC...

By the way... what kind of features have?, like super resolutions, or more of the filter kinds?

I will prove it with Strife.

12 hours ago, Elie.T.Zerg said:

I hope it run in my PC...

By the way... what kind of features have?, like super resolutions, or more of the filter kinds?

I will prove it with Strife.

Crispy Doom doesn't play Strife or Heretic.

also available on GOG, for those anti-DRM freedom-loving people ;)

(I actually haven't tried to see what happens if you move the Steam version out to another computer... heh. but that's a bit of a pain anyway)

9 hours ago, chungy said:

also available on GOG, for those anti-DRM freedom-loving people ;)

(I actually haven't tried to see what happens if you move the Steam version out to another computer... heh. but that's a bit of a pain anyway)

I bought the steam version immediately, but I'd much prefer the DRM-free version (also: steam-client free version). I hope it turns up in GOG Connect one day.

oh it's 75% off right now, what the hell, double dipping

I test feb 5th build and it still has sound bug, I need set SFX volume value to 15 (music volume value is 8) to have normal sound balance. Is it fixable? Why Chocolate Doom doesn't have this problem?

Edited by MAJ

Possible bug report here!

Everytime I try to record a demo from nerve.wad map 06 it crashes specifically after the tally if I press "esc", no error messages. It happens in versions 3.5, 4.2 and 5.1 too. I haven't tried with all maps yet, only know it was fine to record maps 02 and 05. 

Thanks for the report. If it crashes it is pretty sure a bug, Crispy is not supposed to crash at all!

I will try to reproduce this, could you possibly provide some more detailed instructions?

Ok, start to record nerve.wad map 06, I played on skill 4 btw. Somehow make it to the exit, whether you kill everything or ignore, doesn't matter. At the tally, when everything is counted, type "esc". That's when it crashes. 

So, no demo compatibility with this? Pity... How does PrBoom-Plus handle recording NR4TL demos? Can PrBoom-Plus play back Crispy Doom NR4TL demos, and/or vice versa?