Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Randy87

GBA Doom 2 Map Converter

3 hours ago, -[EVIL]- Pepsi said:

This is pretty interesting. But who would really wanna play GBA Doom levels? Aren't they for the most part just stripped down versions of the levels we all know and love?

I'll remind you about GBAD2 "Industrial Zone". This level is really interesting to play.

Other levels...yeah...heh

We need to see how the whole Southpaw/Torus engine work.

It looks like it contains code from Doom and not DN3D/Build engine or the code may have been rewritten.

Which explains how Duke Nukem Advance isn't anything like DN3D.

I don't know really.

Just tried to convert and play GBAD2 maps.

They are awesome. But I've got a question.

On 11.01.2018 at 9:40 PM, Randy87 said:

I haven't been able to make much sense of what might be the BSP data, but then again I know nothing of BSP.

HOW did you do this converter if you know nothing about BSP? This is really confusing me.

Just now, DeXiaZ said:

HOW did you do this converter if you know nothing about BSP? This is really confusing me.

Doom's BSP data is entirely independent of the rest of the map, which is necessary considering you first need to make a map in order to apply a BSP tree builder to it. While it's unclear what kind of data Southpaw is using in place of Doom's BSP, it's bound to be something similar, and it is likewise independent. So, you don't need to know anything about it in order to extract the important bits (vertices, linedefs, sidedefs, sectors, and things) of the maps.

Got it, thank you.

Well, in last 3 months I've tried to talk with everyone who mentioned in GBA Doom 2 and Duke Nukem credits about Southpaw Engine. I've got nothing, all people just "dissapeared" from Net around 2011-2012.

27 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Southpaw BSP-like data needs to be worked on.

This is easier said than done.

Randy87, as I can see - all converted GBAD2 maps are working with the actual PC BSP, so I'll advice to try usual PC node builders like idBSP and DeePBSP for the first experiments with converting PC maps into GBAD2 format.

Like I did for the PSX Doom with glBSP.exe they possibly could help you. I don't think that Torus Games did a totally new BSP for their conversion. I believe that this is still Doom engine with few edits.

13 hours ago, loveless said:

What port is recommended to play this with?  PrB+, GZDoom?

The progression won't work right out of the box outside of GZDoom due to the split maps, so there's now 34 maps. It might be possible to merge them using a teleporter to make them work in any port though.

Someone could also write up an EMAPINFO to allow it to be played in EE.

ed: also, based on the results of almost every "what is your least favorite iwad map" thread here, I think there's one thing in the GBA Doom II mapset that will appeal to many people here:

iyufJb5.png

19 hours ago, -[EVIL]- Pepsi said:

Aren't they for the most part just stripped down versions of the levels we all know and love?

GBA Doom 1's are, but GBA Doom 2's are almost identical to the PC version except for a few places.

I'd be very interested in a PC port of DNA. I'd even work on it, but I know approx. nothing about proper reverse-engineering.

Just thought I'd say it.

I managed to convert the levels and built the BSP tree for the maps for it but I've noticed two things: Industrial Zone and The Chasm were segmented into two maps each, likely a limitation of the Doom 2 GBA engine port.

On 15.01.2018 at 3:43 AM, Da Werecat said:

I'd be very interested in a PC port of DNA. I'd even work on it, but I know approx. nothing about proper reverse-engineering.

I'll help to make both TC - GBAD2 and DNA. Just call for me, I can do everything helpful with Decorate, sprite "editing", mapping, etc.

P.S.: Is this possible to export/import midi music in GBAD2?

aSDQgrJ.png

I'm working on getting a base up for the community to take over.

I need to rewrite the graphics ripping code. What a nuisance. Still not sure whats up.

I need to find the interface graphics and sounds.

I might put together the switches and animated textures.

I'll slap in some static DECORATEs for all the objects and let the community take over from there.

On 13.1.2018 at 4:34 PM, Randy87 said:

New Info.

A cursory examination of the Duke Nukem Advance levels shows them to be identical to Doom 2 GBA's.

Looks like the engine was hybrid and meant to support both games in a common format.

That would explain a lot of the extra/unknown fields.

I'm looking at the map geometry in slade right now.

Seems, DNA is actually kind of an Duke Nukem Mod for GBA Doom2.

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/2699-dnahacker/page__st__30__p__55001#entry55001

Just as a little note to those trying to play the extracted doom 2 maps, I was poking at them and I discovered suburbs is not 100% correct in any port (though it is completable): I don't think Doom 2 GBA used sound propagation, so the box that holds all the monsters that are supposed to teleport in isn't actually connected anymore. The door open specials are replaced with a new line type that presumably wakes the monsters in the tagged sector, but this obviously doesn't exist in the original or various ports. 

In order to get things fully functional it'd take a bit of work, though maybe it'd be fun to make a little tc that can do it. I've extracted the palette and colormap before so you can even make it just as ugly as doom 2 gba was.

3 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

The door open specials are replaced with a new line type that presumably wakes the monsters in the tagged sector, but this obviously doesn't exist in the original or various ports. 

But it can be easily recreated for the TC by this. UDMF supports it as Line 173.

38 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

, could you write instructions on how to make levels for actual PSX Doom?

Not really, because I can only do "box" levels. That sucks. I need a help of somebody who really understands how "map" elements works.

3 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Then how did you do this?

it's better to ask it in my thread, not here.

I for one still play Doom on gba - in fact I was playing thru Dexias level mod just this morning!  Would be really interesting to see a d2 map editor - converting the pc ultimate doom levels to use in d2 would be great. I play doom2 using kippykips modded version, which I helped on. It replaces all the crappy textures and lighting with the ones from the pc version: https://kippykip.com/index.php?threads/gba-doom-ii-pc-conversion-pack-revision-1-3.434/

i still I’ll love the fact you can play d2 on such an underpowered, gorgeous little handheld! 

I'd like to work with PCtoGBA converter (we already have the source code of "GBAtoPC"), but I don't have time due to RL.

BTW, if somebody interested to work with this converter, please let me know, possibly it's better to work together than alone.

What a brilliant response from the dev! So glad someone from Torus could help. I have no programming knowledge I’m afraid but regularly play DeXiaz level pack and the D2 with pc textures and I thought I’d check this thread again. Great stuff!!

Thank you! Especially for playing my level pack.

I hope that @Kippykip will post someday the updated GBAD2 tools for inserting new maps.

It would be nice to make "GBA Final Doom" ;)

deXiaz are you able to modify textures in Doom 1 gba? The reason I ask is this - it runs far smoother when dynamic lighting is turned off, but that makes everything brighter. I wondered how easy it would be to reduce the brightness of the textures....?

9 hours ago, Fuser Marucs said:

deXiaz are you able to modify textures in Doom 1 gba? The reason I ask is this - it runs far smoother when dynamic lighting is turned off, but that makes everything brighter. I wondered how easy it would be to reduce the brightness of the textures....?

Yeah, that was possible thanks to GBA Doom 1 Tools authors. I've changed 1 texture for Doom 2 green metal texture (for map01).

Well, you just need to edit textures in classic editor (like Photoshop) and put them into the game.