Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Brutal Doom wins mod of the year on Mod DB

Prodoomer needs to be played like an RPG. I watched icarus play it and it was ridiculous. There are spells that literally give you 100 armor, shoots silent fireballs, and pushes enemies back. And your mana regens constantly.

So what is the idea? Well, do some of the missions a few times, level up, max out on upgrades for your level and get full ammo before going to the next area. That is how you're supposed to play it. Idk what the hell people are doing in that mod watching videos of it lol.

And yes v3 is a huge upgrade over v2. Much better. And I agree that the level design is bad. It's definitely the worst part of the mod.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

x-post from what I said about it on moddb:

Not a fan of Brutal Doom. I am of the opinion that its inclusion in any load-order is a detriment to the gameplay, which ultimately devolves to an elaborate game of peekaboo. Say what you want about the mod's detractors; Mark's behavior in this comment thread and the fact that you all seem to be conveniently forgetting that he's banned from every major Doom community site for good reason is indicative enough to me that most of you don't actually care if what his detractors are saying is actually true. And honestly, that's fine; all that's really important here is whether or not you like the mod. If you don't, I respect your opinion. If you do, I respect your opinion, too; I just wish you would face the fact that some people either just don't like the mod or are not comfortable supporting a person who has proven he is not capable of taking valid criticism and seems perfectly happy to diss the entire Doom community that he seeks support from in this very comment thread.

2 hours ago, DILDOMASTER666 said:

x-post from what I said about it on moddb:

Mark isn't banned from the largest and best of Doom communities, Doomworld.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

That is even more telling if he won't dare post here imo

20 minutes ago, DILDOMASTER666 said:

That is even more telling if he won't dare post here imo

Well to be frank he has, in this very thread. Although it seems he only ever posts about BD.

The Doom Community in Doomworld is smaller than ZDoom forum.

ZDoom has way too strict forum rules which is the reason why Kaiser and Mark got banned.

Mark was banned there for a good reason, I know.

The "making a kid suicide" is now nothing more than a old story.

Mark has already removed racial jokes in code comments due to this.

But Kaiser? He got banned on the ZDoom Forums for no apparent reason.

Why will people keep on believing on the fact that Mark is still throwing racial jokes?

(I don't want to get myself earn a warning or a ban, and I don't even want to start shitstorm here.)

12 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

(I don't want to get myself earn a warning or a ban, and I don't even want to start shitstorm here.)

I doubt you'll be punished in any way for what you've said here, but if you don't want to start a shitstorm uhh maybe don't make a post likely to result in a shitstorm? Just some food for thought.

15 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

The Doom Community in Doomworld is smaller than ZDoom forum.

Present evidence to support your claim.

28 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

But Kaiser? He got banned on the ZDoom Forums for no apparent reason.

There's plenty of good reasons why, but lets not go there.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
16 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Present evidence to support your claim.

Doomworld members according to profile count: 22364

ZDoom member count according to what the forum software reports: 3620

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Judging by the ModDB comment thread, this thread is about the Dead Sea.

Back to talking about Brutal Doom, it's starting to resemble HL2's Cinematic Mod, which added among other things loads of clutter to maps making you get stuck on it. BD has signs they are going for that already: random barrels with goodies inside, cars, garbage piles. I'm aware it's all optional and you can't really get stuck on them that much, but still.

Also all those gameplay changes are starting to irk me since I'm use to it by now. I was already pretty happy with ver20, imp's bounce attack still pisses me off though. Now pinkies are fast and jumpy, weapons balance changed, guns handle differently. I really like the new pistol and rifle tho, wish ONLY those were in ver20.

By the way, how are people suppose to give feedback about Brutal Doom anyway these days. ModDB is just for releasing, people do comment there, but I don't think no one from the mod developer(s?) ever even reads those. He's banned from Zdoom. There are no BD threads here, except this one. Where's the homepage, landing, idk, forum? Does he/they even care what changes they make ? I really don't want him to mess with the gameplay as much as he does in the latest build.

IMO Mark chained himself to the Brutal Doom with his fame and Patreon support. He can not find it in himself to break away from it and try something new. Or he simply can not do something new. Maybe it's for the fear of loosing support of his fans and the income they are getting him. Maybe it is for other reasons but I digress.

Several other prolific modders that were mentioned before entered the scene after Mark and produced much more varying content and feature-complete mods, while BD continues to lumber on, slowly getting several features nobody asked for in the time it took other people to start and finish their projects.

But Mark is not a one-trick-pony. Not at all. He just needs to find it in himself to declare BD feature complete, polish it and fix the bugs (those I mentioned STILL happen - tested it with latest version). And focus on the thing he is actually good at - mapping great continuous, detailed campaigns.

Even if those maps would be balanced with BD in mind, as long as they are playable with other mods (at least without crashing the engine), I think people would appreciate his work much more than they do now.

On 12.01.2018 at 7:10 PM, pulkmees said:

By the way, how are people suppose to give feedback about Brutal Doom anyway these days. ModDB is just for releasing, people do comment there, but I don't think no one from the mod developer(s?) ever even reads those. He's banned from Zdoom. There are no BD threads here, except this one. Where's the homepage, landing, idk, forum? Does he/they even care what changes they make ? I really don't want him to mess with the gameplay as much as he does in the latest build.

He has his own dedicated facebook, youtube,discord and twitter

Please refrain from making so many one word posts in future, that's the second one on this page.

Man everyone gets somewhat salty over this yet realize Brutal Doom is like one of the few Doom mods uploaded to MODDB besides some others, If you wanted to give it competition, quit uploading to ZDoom Forums and upload there instead. I'm not defending mark and while i do congratulate him, His spot is always easy to win because literally MODDB has 5-0 mods unless its brutal Doom Addons like people please you have good mods that should be uploaded there and you may get plenty of votes, disrupting his #1 if you like me to put it as that

Literally when I started playing doom mods I thoguth Moddb was the only place to find em, but boy was I wrong when I discovered the ZDoom forums and other things. Lithium, DRLA, Complex Doom, Death and Decay, High way to hell, Flakes Doom, colorful hell, goodness infinite other things. But anyway, you guys are talented at a lot of things.

1 hour ago, UAC-Janitor said:

Man everyone gets somewhat salty over this yet realize Brutal Doom is like one of the few Doom mods uploaded to MODDB besides some others, If you wanted to give it competition, quit uploading to ZDoom Forums and upload there instead. I'm not defending mark and while i do congratulate him, His spot is always easy to win because literally MODDB has 5-0 mods unless its brutal Doom Addons like people please you have good mods that should be uploaded there and you may get plenty of votes, disrupting his #1 if you like me to put it as that

My RDND mod is there, but it's there as an addon, not a mod page like BD is.

i realize that there's a lot of brutal doom (i myself am not all that big of a fan of it), but come on. you gotta at least recognize how much attention it's brought to the doom community.

20 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Please refrain from making so many one word posts in future, that's the second one on this page.

Agreed.