Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Don_Faparotti

DOOM 2016: The Board Game

Does anyone have this or played it? I'm debating If I should dish out 100$ on this bad boy. The reviews seem to be pretty solid and the board pieces look pretty sweet. 

51fcb4d9-0f67-4a57-948e-adef706b3012._SR

812J0-3joWL._SL1500_.jpg

I've played it. The figures are pretty good, but the gameplay is sort of meh, just typical these type of games. If it's $100, I think it doesn't worth it.

I bought it when it came out and i love it, i didn't bought it for $100 but since i had to import it i ended up paying more or less that

It really depends if you have the friends to play it and if you are into boardgames, gameplay wise i think it's good, you are at the mercy of what cards you have in your hand, but then again, pretty much every boardgame has it's fair amount of randomness and chance, also some maps really favor the marines and revenants are kinda OP, but overall i really enjoy it and it's one of my favorite boardgames, so if you are into boardgames it's a good game. Also the figures are amazing

19 hours ago, Tompig said:

How did it compare to the doom 3 board game? 

I remember buying the Doom 3 board game, spending 30 min trying to piece together the board and understanding the rules, then giving up and never touching it again. I literally never played a single match.

And then there is also another problem...with whom are you going to play with? The problem with these types of games is that unless you know some extremely nerdy people nobody is going to play with you. In fact, even if you do know people like that the odds are they only play very specific games and would still not bother.

5 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

And then there is also another problem...with whom are you going to play with? The problem with these types of games is that unless you know some extremely nerdy people nobody is going to play with you. In fact, even if you do know people like that the odds are they only play very specific games and would still not bother.

There are local game shops where people congregate to play stuff like this. You might have one in your area.

6 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I remember buying the Doom 3 board game, spending 30 min trying to piece together the board and understanding the rules, then giving up and never touching it again. I literally never played a single match.

I actually do own the DOOM 3 board game and the ROE board game as well. We played a few rounds of the DOOM 3 board game among friends. It was very enjoyable and quite fun once you get a hang of the rules. We never ended up trying ROE. In fact, I still have it sealed and might sell it one day.  You`re right though, you do need the right circle of friends who fit into this niche. Some stuck up nerds only swear by certain board games just like some DOOM fans refrain from playing the 2016 game. 

I did cave in and purchased the 2016 board game. Should be arriving this week. I'll share my thoughts once I get around to playing it. Oh yea, you guys are invited by the way. 

11 minutes ago, Don_Faparotti said:

you do need the right circle of friends who fit into this niche.

Actually this is very true. I usually play strategy board games more than other types of games. Games like Descent and this are for me to have a change, but I'm definitely not very into it.

Since I was not too serious about reading the rules as usual, I did make some mistakes during the explanation, so the experience could be affected. The first time (and last time) I played, I feel the DM is sort of weak, but it could due to many reasons like play style etc. To be honest, DM is sort of a tragic character here because you sort of need to set up a tough but fine challenge to other players... and you don't have a group of players to talk to and make moves...

I'll be gladly to read your experience after you play the game.

21 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Well thing is that if you don't have the patience to set up everything and don't have the people to play it, then there is no point even buying the game other than just collect the figures and maybe paint them over.

14 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Since I was not too serious about reading the rules as usual, I did make some mistakes during the explanation, so the experience could be affected. The first time (and last time) I played, I feel the DM is sort of weak, but it could due to many reasons like play style etc. To be honest, DM is sort of a tragic character here because you sort of need to set up a tough but fine challenge to other players... and you don't have a group of players to talk to and make moves...

Even after completing the main book at least 2 times, me and my friends make mistakes from time to time lol, and you are right the demon player has the odds stacked against him, but as you get more and more familiar with the game, you start to learn what are the best cards for the demon player and the best strategies for each demon and then you kinda even the odds. There is a map however that's completely BS, and it's the one that has the "singular strenght" card. it's crap and unbalanced for the demon player, i would recommend skipping it

14 hours ago, Don_Faparotti said:

I did cave in and purchased the 2016 board game. Should be arriving this week. I'll share my thoughts once I get around to playing it. Oh yea, you guys are invited by the way. 

Hope you enjoy it, from what i've heard it plays different from the D3 game since it's more combat centric, i'll be interested in reading your experience

If anybody that has it could grab some pics for the wiki of the game setup or in action, that would be cool (we're not just supposed to take ones from, ie, Amazon, as such photos are copyrighted).

I will take pics when I eventually play it. I bought it last September but haven't had a chance to sit down with a group to play it yet.

The pieces look really sweet in-person, but I didn't get the chance to play the game unfortunately. 

I have seen some videos of the doom 3 board game in action and I thought that looked both fun and relatively easy to pick up.

On 26/1/2018 at 7:02 AM, Quasar said:

If anybody that has it could grab some pics for the wiki of the game setup or in action, that would be cool (we're not just supposed to take ones from, ie, Amazon, as such photos are copyrighted).

I don't have any pic of the game in action except for a single one we took playing the tutorial and it's not very good, but i did set up one of the game scenarios and took some pics of the figures
Quality is kinda blurry since my camera it's not very good, sorry

Spoiler

8RCUIQW.jpg

7qN8J2O.jpg

RLuA1Gd.jpg

ZrQv7nm.jpg

I could take a pic of the box, but it looks quite worn from use and i think you could get a better shot from someone else

Edited by DMPhobos

I own it (was given it for Christmas) but never got a chance to really play it.

Will probably end up painting the models though. They're great.

Gathered the money for it when it first came out. It's a decent game, nothing too special, but it's a tie-in, so that's to be expected. If you want it to paint the figures or just for an addition to your Doom collection, pay somewhere between the $40-70 range.

Looking at the minis and the cardboard layouts makes it seem very much like the Doom 3 game, and there are a few similarities, but the gameplay more or less reflects the reboot it is based off. Whereas the board game for D3 was more about exploration, scavenging for health/ammo/armor, and collecting tokens while maneuvering obstacles, this one is more about pure combat and running around. The arsenal, of course, represents the same weapons you find in NuDoom's campaign, complete with the Glory Kill mechanic and the various grenades, and the map and enemy designs reflect this too.

Monsters no longer randomly spawn at the edges of the map, far from the Marine's LoS, instead they spawn in through portals, which are basically Gore Nest replacements, with the exception of activating with LoS, not actually going up to them.

Ammo no longer exists, and you can't pick up the whole game's arsenal and use it whenever. Marines now have cards in their own personal decks, which represent the two weapons they chose at the start of the game, along with their four given generic "marine cards." The weapons the marines can choose are the shotguns, the plasma rifle, the HAR, and the multiplayer exclusive Repeater and Static Rifle. Each has special roles, replete with their pros and cons. For example, The SSG is highly powerful, able to oneshot most weaker monsters, but has very short range. The Combat Shotgun is an all-rounder, with a balance between power, range, and versatility. The plasma rifle is quite weak, but has better range and can dish out status effects on chosen targets. Then there are Power weapons, that can be found in various locations on a map, and they are signified as such by having a different token design. Power weapons include the Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, Chainsaw, Gauss Cannon, and the BFG.

Random range has been taken out. If your weapon meets the requirements for distance, it will hit. Gone are the days of rolling dice and praying that you pass, only to have your shotgun fail the range check against an Imp from 2 spaces away (though I suppose this is accurate to the actual Doom 3). This also goes for monsters. If you're in range to get toasted by a Cacodemon, you can be, and likely will be.

The demon player is still the ringleader, setting up everything and making sure it all goes smoothly. He of course also puppeteers the demons, who now act differently. Each one has base health and armor like the old game, but with the new addition of special "Argent Skills" that can be activated by collecting Argent Energy, rewarded to the demon player through various means. They also have a threshold for how much health they can lose before being able to be glory-killed by a marine (this is achieved by simply having the marine player's figure move into the space in which the target occupies). The card system is still in place. However, the demon player no longer uses the entire given deck, but chooses between a selection of specialized decks, each focusing on different play styles. If you like using Barons of Hell, you might choose the deck with cards more built with speed in mind, allowing your Baron to close the distance in half the time and get to pummeling its foes much faster.

The figures are of a much higher quality than the D3 designs. They aren't as fragile, they have more consistency between themselves in terms of where the seam lines are, are much larger than the D3 pieces (the new Revenant makes the old one look like its child), and as the picture shows, are a nice, soft cream color instead of the gaudy, cheap looking RGB of the old minis. Some issues still remain (at least in my box), like a few bases being warped and making the figures wobble a bit. I've seen a few videos of people painting them, and more humorously, people selling "PRO PAINTED" sets on eBay for high prices, despite the frankly amateurish paint apps.

All in all, a slightly above average game, a nice alternative to the first edition, and a way to cope with not having the now very rare Reaper Miniatures.

I've set an alarm on my phone to remind to to grab a pic later tonight. If you don't see me post here in the next 24-ish hours, please re-prompt me! :)

Heh, I forgot. I was totally unavailable at the time my alarm went off and I didn't re-set it. I'll try again tonight.

Yeah I saw this a while back, and considered getting it. I play board/table top games couple times a month with a group of friends, and we kinda need some new games so ehhh probably going to grab it. Even if the game isn't too good it will still be a cool piece for my collection, and the figures are fucking awesome! 

Here you go. Snapped these this morning. I've played about slightly trying to get rid of the blue tinge of natural light on the upper right corner. I can try to get hold of a better camera and take better shots another time, but for now here's some pics taken on a dying Samsung Galaxy S5.

doom-board-game-square-crop-1024x1024.jp

COLOUR CORRECTED VERSION

doom-board-game-square-crop-colour-adjus

LAZY CROP - in case you want to crop and colour correct it yourself.

doom-board-game-lazy-crop.jpg

I very lightly alpha blended in a bit of the original cyberdemon artwork and it greatly reduced the blue glare. Thanks.

reminds me of that boardgame angry joe is doing of streetfighter. looks intriguing.

Ah, yes. The Doom 2016 Board Game. I have never played the original Doom BG, so i got no say to how good it is comparitively to that one. However, this game is freaking amazing to play with friends and family. Fast-paced, fun, and great at killing an hour or 3 of your time. Plus lots of replayability! I have played around 15 times with it, and it was always fun each playthrough!

....As long as you houserule the s@#$ out of it.

See, this game, as amazingly fun as it can be, has a lot of flaws that I had to houserule just to make it entertaining and fair. I'm going to list the flaws I had with the game, and state the houserule I did to make the play enjoyable and fair to all. Starting with the biggest blemish that none of my co-players liked.

• TURNS ARE DECIDED BY LUCK. - The thing of shuffling demon and player cards in a pile, then drawing the top card deciding who goes first is a VERY UNFUN mechanic. I don't know why this is a thing. Why not just take turns sequentially, such as player goes, then demon, then player, etc. I really tried using this unique way of playing turns work, but it just usually ended up one side getting curbstomp by the other because of dumb luck. I guess this busted turn system counteracts the system of players having multiple lives, but it feels like a bandage on an amputation. I houseruled this by first trying RPS with the opponent to decide who goes first, and from there, the demonplayer sets the cards sequentially from who goes first (demon/player/demon/player). If there are an excess amount of demons, the demonplayer negotiates with the player on the turn order they wish to have (D/P/D/D/P) or (D/D/P/D/P)
  • Marines have multiple lives. - This is a nitpick, but I don't like that marines have multiple lives. With the above rule set, players having mutliple lives was too OP on the player's part. Players can do a lot of shit with the cards given (especially when it's 1v1), and having to kill them multiple times in a normal turn-based system was proving too difficult. So I did the obvious one-life only rule. This is probably the best houserule given, since the game REALLY gets tense to having only a singular life. Planning ahead, taking risks for rewards, and going balls-to-the-wall is made much more impactful when you only got 1 life.
  • Demons cannot go through portals. If there was ever a board-game version of the tactic "corner-peeking," this would be it. A friend of mines literally won a campaign doing this sh@#. You can jump through a portal, shoot, then jump back again into the hole without worrying demons following through. I don't know if the game allows move-shoot-move (the rules are kinda vague on that), so this tactic was possible, and annoying for the demonplayer. So the simple remedy of letting all demons, except the Cyberdemon, enter through the portals just as well as the players, worked. This made Barons really scary to tackle.
  • Marines cannot decide their 2 weapon loadout. I probably read this wrong, but I see nowhere in the book that you can use a custom loadout. Like having shotty/super shotty, or static/plasma rifle. So the easy fix was just allowing such a thing. Super shotty and static rifle is pretty powerful, though.
    • Plasma Rifle can use stuns without cost. I don't get why some of the default weapons require a cost, when 4 out of the 6 weapons don't have any to perform their abilities. Plasma rifle is one of them, requiring a cost to use the stun ability. So I just allowed usage of it free-willy nilly. The plasma rifle was picked more since this change.
    • Burst Rifle can reroll once without cost. Same problem as above. Requiring a cost to use it's ability. Only other card requiring cost is the basic shotty, but the cost and return was worth the price (extra firepower without wasting a turn!). So for the burst rifle to catch up with the others, I houseruled the cost to be nonexistant.
  • Demons can activate their abilites endlessly. This is probably another mechanic that may have been worded vaguely, but I don't remember there being a rule that demons can use their abilites just once a turn (mainly the Argent abilites). Because of this, some demons became much more OP than other demons, with special mention to Cacodemons and Possessed Soldiers. If the above rule existed, there would be Genji-counter Possesed Soldiers, Invincible Pinkies, Deck-milling Revenants, and the infamous Stun-locking Cacodemon. It took me and my coherts lots of debating on which abilities should be left to use infinitely, or once. But in the end, it was just much easier to make it that all demons can only activate their abilites once per demon, per turn. It still kept the threat of the demons in check, but didn't made them spamful as the above nicknames.
  • Marines used all the resources of a card first before using another cards' resource. Again, vaguely worded about this, but it was a simple fix. With how there are cards that give movement points, and cards that gave actions, it was houseruled that you can stack movement points with mutliple action cards, but you can only use the abilites of the latest action card. Meaning that if you wished to move faraway, but use the super shotty at the end of the movement, ya gotta make sure to play that last, and not first. Else, the last card played will be your action of choice. So best not to leave the handgun card being the final action of choice.
  • Objective and Threat cards are bonkers. Playing with a few of these cards with the houserules applied, and following their rules to victory or defeat, was a rather harsh excersize on both player sides.
    • During the Asset Extraction objective, a single marine can carry all the objectives to the end. This one just made little sense. A single UAC marine carrying 4 hostages in their back while fighting a baron and 3 cacodemons. Yeah, no. Houseruled to only have one at a time. Made the match last longer, and more strategic (whether to bumrush the objective to the end, or blast all the demons present)
    • Horde Mode: the demon player can activate 2 portals right from the beginning. This was ludicrious for marine players. All times with this rule on, the marines lost by being outnumbered. Way too many demons to slaughter, and the big threat demons came by fast, before the marines can armed themselves. So with this obj mode, it was houseruled that the first 4 rounds, the demonplayer can only open 1 portal, with the final 3 rounds allowing them to open 2 portals a. This felt more gradual and fair for all sides, while keeping the escalating threat of demons impactful.
    • Assault Mode: you can only ready a Red Portal by slaughtering a player. This had to be houseruled since I had the one-life only rule for marines. In normal plays, to ready a static red portal (that summons high-tier demon waves), a player must be killed. All other portals in this mode (blue and yellow portals) could be readied by just spending a resource. So, to houserule this, I made it so that the Red Portal can be opened by using 2 Threat Tokens. Since 2 Blue Portals can be readied by 1 Threat Token, and a Yellow Portal can be readied by 1 Threat token, I just escalated the cost of readying red portals to be 2 Threat Tokens. Simple, easy, and quite demanding for readying it.
  • Execution Event card can kill players with 8 damage. - This single card is the only event card out of 18 that needed a rework, mainly because it was too op in 1v2, or 1v1 situations, where there are less than 3 marine players. When there are less players, the remaining marine(s) get a health boost or added abilites. But with the simple condition of having a player with 8 damage on them, this meant that a 1v1 player can instantly die if they only had half health! (which was 15 total). So this was houseruled that the player must have 3 or less HP remaining for this card to execute.

Lots o sh@# to fix, but it really made the Doom BG a very entertaining experience. Felt like I had to beta-test this thing just to make it fun and fair.

Those are some thought-out houserules. I've only seen one other person mention fixing the game using them, but it was only in passing. I can agree that shuffling the turn cards every round is a bit silly, and the odds for both sides in general tend to be constantly shifting extremes.

I think players are able to choose what weapons they begin with. As you said, it's vague, and I can't recall a rule allowing or disallowing it. As for the move-shoot-move, I believe it's allowed. If you play a SSG card, you can move one space, fire, and then move again. Your turn will be over though, since it is a main action.

Last time I'm thinking about this game. The price is lower than at the begining of sale and now is almost acceptable. Problem is that for sure I'll do not paint them cause I just can't do that right and no of my friend can't learn even easiest rules for such types of games. Years ago I made my own paper army and that was fun. I hope they are still somewhere in my cellar. I always want classic doom figures army. I'm two steps to buying Doom the board game now.