Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jmickle66666666

NASTY: Not A Sourceport, Thank You (Alpha 4)

WOW. If that was possible just imagine what could be done. I would really like to see a Doom version of Arcane Dimensions.

20 minutes ago, jmickle66666666 said:

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. All in good time.

In order to take full advantage of this engine we would need new level editing tools, or at least the ability to use preexisting ones like Trenchbroom/Radiant or even probuilder seeing as this is using Unity.

Yes, I already know that. Anything along these lines is a very long way off so I don't need to think about it right now. Thanks for your input hard core gamer

I would love to see some years down the line a point-and-click diablo style game done in this engine of yours - the potential is certainly there, I wouldn't be surprised if a market was there for one too. :)

On 1/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, jmickle66666666 said:

Science has indeed gone too far.

Look like when it fails to build a level properly, it doesn't clear up the last one. I'll note that down. Thanks!

Sounds like a feature!

Seriously, that's one awesome automap! Basically, a top-down 3D view, not unlike the player view, right?

Are you doing like a full map render, or is there a GL-nodes thing going on at startup? I find the whole thing fascinating. Good stuff!

I'm triangulating the map upon load, and building a full 3d mesh from it. It's not using any node data, though the approach is kiiinda analogous to GLNodes, being that the end goal is to have a set of convex shapes to build instead of the arbitrary polygons Doom gives you.

The isometric automap is just an orthographic camera pointing down at the scene.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:46 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

This thing has also gotten me thinking about the copyright of games like this. Since this technically isn't using the Doom engine doesn't that make this whole thing a giant copyright violation?

No, because that's not how copyright, open source licenses, or indeed, anything, works.

2 hours ago, fraggle said:

No, because that's not how copyright, open source licenses, or indeed, anything, works.

Well if somebody made a standalone Doom game using another engine, even if all the resources were made from scatch you would still be using somebody else's brand. Nintendo has shut down a lot of fan projects because of this. But then again perhaps it's different if the engine actually requires that you own the doom iwads in order to use it.

I'm not distributing any copyrighted material. It should be pretty obvious that this is the case, but all you do is jump in with opinions on things you know very little about. Please stop posting.

Edited by jmickle66666666

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Well if somebody made a standalone Doom game using another engine, even if all the resources were made from scatch you would still be using somebody else's brand.

Then you're talking about trademarks, not copyright. They're not the same thing.

9 hours ago, jmickle66666666 said:

I'm not distributing any copyrighted material. It should be pretty obvious that this is the case, but all you do is jump in with opinions on things you know very little about. Please stop posting.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just asking, which is pretty fair seeing as companies shut down fan projects all the time even if they don't include any content from other games.

And jmickle was just replying, which is pretty fair as you almost always have an uneducated contrarian opinion on everything. 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:46 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

As cool as this may be is there any actual benefit for mappers to use this? You say this is made in Unity so I assume full 3D levels are possible, but that won't matter for somebody who is just using Doom builder or Slade to make levels.

This thing has also gotten me thinking about the copyright of games like this. Since this technically isn't using the Doom engine doesn't that make this whole thing a giant copyright violation? How are you loading the resources into the game? Does the engine actually need the iwad or are you merely requiring the user to provide it so that he can't play Doom for free?

Huh? I guess every map editor is also a copyright violation? Every WAD editor? Java and Pascal ports? Every port other than Linux Doom v1.11?

On 1/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

Well sure but that isn't really what I meant. What I meant was that as long as you are limited to only using the same tools used to mod actual doom engine games you can't actually take advantage of the fact that this engine is using Unity. There is no way to create true 3D in Doom builder except for using 3D floors and models. It's not a brush based editor that allows true 3D. If you are limited to using the same tools as we always have there there isn't any real reason to use this engine for mapping in favor of something like Gzdoom.

Maybe it's faster? Maybe it's prettier? Maybe it has a nicer automap? jmickle66666666 *is* taking advantage of his engine using Unity, as is anyone checking out his engine. With a true 3D engine, he could probably take separate sections of a standard Doom map, and lay them on top of each other, ala super portals! The possibilities are truly endless.

How about let him make the damn thing before calling it useless, huh? Jeez. With the engine in place, you can bet the tools will follow.

4 hours ago, jmickle66666666 said:

im a girl

Uh oh @kb1, looks like you need to correct the pronoun words. :P

17 hours ago, jmickle66666666 said:

im a girl

Oops, my bad. I'd love to say that 'mick' might have thrown me off, but, no, it was an assumption. No offense intended.

This is pretty cool! I like the automap view, but I think there should be a player sprite. I like how you implemented the cheat codes. Since it's in Unity, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to add better lighting and textures if you wanted to.

I can relate to this because somehow I am also making a Doom-style engine that can load wad files (which I'll definitely be showing off more in the near future.) I can definitely appreciate the work that went into it!

The isometric automap is the shit :D Any chance that we may see full IDDT support so we can play straight-up twin-stick style?

43 minutes ago, scalliano said:

The isometric automap is the shit :D Any chance that we may see full IDDT support so we can play straight-up twin-stick style?

you can use idclip for the same effect!

On 1/12/2018 at 5:00 AM, DooM_RO said:

Full 3D? Does this mean we will be able to make rooms over rooms and 3D architecture like in Quake?

On 1/12/2018 at 5:00 AM, jmickle66666666 said:

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. All in good time.

I guess the question then is: will it be a 3D bridge or a faux-3D bridge? ^^

(also, +1 for Awesome)

Holy Moly - very nice! Suggestion: Randomly rotate the view upon player death along the depth axis to simulate falling on your ass when dying. Or turn the view downward when falling off a tall ledge. There's lots of possibilities. Very cool.

12 hours ago, Apaul27 said:

Heretic, Hexen, and Strife support would be cool.

Dude, this source port doesn't even support Doom properly just yet.

Edited by KVELLER : It isn't a source port ffs

54 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Dude, the source port

On dimanche 7 janvier 2018 at 11:53 PM, jmickle66666666 said:

NASTY: Not A Sourceport, Thank You

Just done a few renders of my unnamed boom megawad. Finished 4 maps, seems a good marker to take a few screenshots and share!

8f857f15210ef8c3418114e65ca83c04.png

0e907f94f2c2c3bf68e620e7ada7ccf5.png

335b3692c40531ad3b5ed4a02a8512e2.png

97165b8a2db039831bf5206f2a746f35.png