Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

@Spectre01 Thank you! Although the dynamic light were on. But for some reason the hubmap is still dark?

Also, am I the only Zandronum user with this problem?

Edited by Ninehills42

9 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Beta 2 released.

List of changes:

7. The maps 03, 04, 06, 16, 22, 35, 36, 42 have been updated.

I'm interested to know what you updated on Map 06 (assuming that slot is still my map).

I meant to submit an updated map to fix the problems that had been reported, but hadn't yet (yes, I am aware that the final release is looming).

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

It is a joke map never meant to be maxable or taken seriously.

Even joke maps are maxable, aren't they?

7 hours ago, Ninehills42 said:

Also, am I the only Zandronum user with this problem?

What version of Zandronum are you using?

I would also point out that Zandronum isn't one of the targeted source ports, so really the best solution is to use one that is (Chocolate, Crispy, PRBoom+ or GZDoom). If you copy your user ini from Zandronum into GZDoom you might not have to set that much up.

I just started with the Hub map. Holy-moly macerole is it fantastic! I'm interested to see what more fun is in store. :)

Edit: I noticed a bug already: the first door on Sycpek's map does not seem to open, but perhaps I am just using the wrong source port.

^ There's an arrow on the automap that points to the exact place on a wall that needs to be pressed to open the door. The activation line is really thin and hard to hit.

18 minutes ago, obake said:

Edit: I noticed a bug already: the first door on Sycpek's map does not seem to open, but perhaps I am just using the wrong source port.

It is intended i think. You supposed to check the minimap, which shows where you find 'the secret button' to open the door

On 1/7/2018 at 9:56 PM, damo2k said:

Playing coop in zdaemon:

map04 - (not a bug) server setup should have no free mouse look really, because of the IoS. Can configure this in zdaemon for this specific map.

map06 - can get stuck in the middle/center of the map when the window shutters close

map11 - something wrong with the sky also it seems

zgYDX8c.png

map20 - Sector 1059, 1536, 1537 (Tag 7: Floor Up): Not Coop Friendly, because those sectors never go down again and eventually block other players from making progress. (thx mrbrown)

map21 - could do with more coop ammo. could be tedious with many players.

map21 - player can get stuck in here, see screenshot. Switch not repeatable?

VYIZGgn.png

map22 - coop issue here, other players can not get in after one player goes through

7qUOHyJ.png

map33 - for coop, some bfg's should actualy be cell ammo, as bfg's dont disappear when collected, but also don't accumulate ammo

map35 - Line 1506 has no first side. Line 1506's right edge is unconnected

I will test beta2 for these fixes, although I dont think all have been addressed yet.

1 hour ago, Ninehills42 said:

It is intended i think. You supposed to check the minimap, which shows where you find 'the secret button' to open the door

And if I recall, there's a slight difference on the wall between the "switch" and normal wall. At least that's how I recall it being when I returned to the game after looking at the automap to see if there was something up when I couldn't open the door.

Just now, damo2k said:

I will test beta2 for these fixes, although I dont think all have been addressed yet.

The bug in Map06 hasn't been addressed yet, but will be before the next beta/final release, whichever is next. Hopefully, this weekend.

Every single map should be maxable (at least in theory). If a map is not maxable, this map is considered to be incomplete.

I have played map33 with both GLBoom+ (v2.5.1.4) and GZDoom (v3.2.5).

Demo: mp1733.zip

The demo with "gz" is recorded by GZDoom and the other is recorded by GLBoom+. Compatibility settings for GZDoom is Boom (strict).

Currently there is no solution to fixing the kill counts in GLBoom+ but it can be set correctly in GZDoom. Just add command "+set dmflags2 67108864". The correct kill count should be 2053 instead of 4114.

Also one or two nazis (mostly 2) are likely to get stuck in the pillars.

videos:

4 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

Every single map should be maxable (at least in theory). If a map is not maxable, this map is considered to be incomplete.

I disagree.

Maps like map02 (Don't touch!) will never be maxable, due to its style.

12 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

7 hours ago, Ninehills42 said:

I disagree.

Maps like map02 (Don't touch!) will never be maxable, due to its style.

I would tend to side with @Ninehills42 that a map is NOT incomplete if it's not maxable. The style may dictate something that lends itself to preventing you from doing something. Map 18 of TNT (I think that's the one, and there are certainly others) has a mandatory shootable switch. I think that automatically precludes a pacifist run. Does that make the level incomplete or bad? Not necessarily, it's just a different style.

That being said, who knows what people can come up with for a level? I wouldn't think Doom's E2M8 could be finished in a pacifist run. Someone did it. I wouldn't think Doom 2's Map 30 could be finished in a Tyson run? Someone did it. Never discount the ingenuity of those people that play Doom.

(Although I recognize that if the point of the level is survive for 1 minute and there's 100 enemies in the level and the level ends after 1 minute, then it's likely not really maxable, no matter how good you are.)

1 minute ago, Pegleg said:

I would tend to side with @Ninehills42 that a map is NOT incomplete if it's not maxable. The style may dictate something that lends itself to preventing you from doing something. Map 18 of TNT (I think that's the one, and there are certainly others) has a mandatory shootable switch. I think that automatically precludes a pacifist run. Does that make the level incomplete or bad? Not necessarily, it's just a different style.

That being said, who knows what people can come up with for a level? I wouldn't think Doom's E2M8 could be finished in a pacifist run. Someone did it. I wouldn't think Doom 2's Map 30 could be finished in a Tyson run? Someone did it. Never discount the ingenuity of those people that play Doom.

(Although I recognize that if the point of the level is survive for 1 minute and there's 100 enemies in the level and the level ends after 1 minute, then it's likely not really maxable, no matter how good you are.)

Pacifist is an OPTIONAL way. But If you cannot kill all enemies or some secrets cannot be revealed, then what's the meaning of these enemies and the secrets?

Just now, lirui1001 said:

Pacifist is an OPTIONAL way. But If you cannot kill all enemies or some secrets cannot be revealed, then what's the meaning of these enemies and the secrets?

I agree with you that if a secret can't be revealed, the secret is meaningless and there's no reason (that I can think of) for it be there. And, generally, yes, you should be able to kill all the enemies in a level. Putting three imps a room that's not connected to the map that you can only get to by cheating does seem pointless, because they can't do anything TO the player. However, in certain levels (like the example of Map 02), where the point is just to survive and not necessarily kill everything, the point of the monsters is to try to kill you and to provide a challenge for you to survive that particular amount of time. It's probably a rather narrow exception, but it is an exception, nonetheless.

A run of map02. mp1702-152.zip

Still UV Max and UV Speed are two VERY BASIC ways to complete a map. Neither of them should be impossible.

The 1:30 time limit is too short because mostly the monsters come one by one and you have to spend about 40-50 seconds doing nothing. Very dull.

To be honest there is a way to fix the map so that it can be done both with UV Max and UV Speed.

For example, you can set the exit door to be open once you survive the time limit, but you can stay here and kill the remaining enemies. And you can put a crusher above the 15 AVs or some barrels. Once you kill all enemies teleporting in, the 15 AVs can be killed so that you can get 100% kills and exit this map.

PS: maybe they are impossible for vanilla but it is worth a try if possible.

Edited by lirui1001

On 1/9/2018 at 3:52 AM, StormCatcher.77 said:

Over the past few days, I began to collect the next release by fixing a lot of my mistakes. At the moment, Beta 2 is already on its way, but I will hold the release, because found some problems:

1. The textures indicated in this post by are not in the original wads. I found out that this is not critical for the gameplay on these maps, besides map 03.
2. Map 03 by @TreeSquid can not be started in Chocolate Doom due to the missing texture.
3. Map 04 by @Roofi causes Chocolate Doom 3.0 to crash with an unknown error.

Thanks for the map update. I'll admit I only tested the map for vanilla and Zandorum.

2 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

I think I will do this before uploading the project to /idgames. The problem is that not all maps have author's descriptions. But, I will add what is.

By author's description, do you mean a backstory for the level? Or just the author's comments about the level, how to play it, etc.? What are you looking for?

11 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I agree with you that if a secret can't be revealed, the secret is meaningless and there's no reason (that I can think of) for it be there. And, generally, yes, you should be able to kill all the enemies in a level. Putting three imps a room that's not connected to the map that you can only get to by cheating does seem pointless, because they can't do anything TO the player. However, in certain levels (like the example of Map 02), where the point is just to survive and not necessarily kill everything, the point of the monsters is to try to kill you and to provide a challenge for you to survive that particular amount of time. It's probably a rather narrow exception, but it is an exception, nonetheless.

@lirui1001, it occurred to me what you may have meant about incompleteness, especially in the context of secrets and monsters that you can't get to and that can't get to you. At that point, it does seem that the map is missing a door, or a corridor, or a teleport, or something that would let you get to those objects that were previously inaccessible. So, in the case of a unmaxable level to things you can't get to because they're actually not connected (in any way) to the map, then yes, such a map would appear to be incomplete and an oversight by the map's author.

on map 36 by bonnie: on zdoom sector 2795 (tag 19) not moved to floor. Linedef action for line 571 may be changed to "lower to lowest floor".

I updated my map and I fixed the problems I was having. This update comes later than I had originally planned (although still before beta 3 or release 1), but sometimes life intervenes and things take longer than you intend, but, regardless, you make it to where you're going eventually. Thanks to @esselfortiumand @Linguica for their help with Chocorenderlimits.

Here is the download link: Clash at the Mountain Garrison

I made some changes, which are listed here for those interested. Note that with the changes, the level would play differently now than in the videos that @Memfis and @mArt1And00m3r11339 recorded.

Spoiler

Changes (not in order of importance):

Changed the title from "Assault on the Mountain Garrison" to "Clash at the Mountain Garrison" and now the title should fit on the intermission screen instead of having the first and last letter letter cut off. Incidentally, yes, I have heard of "Clash at Demonhead" (both the game and the fictional band).

Added a switch in the starting area that appears after someone has left the starting area for the first time (whether by the door or through the windows), so someone coming in later can still get out of the starting area, even if the window shutters are closed.

Changed the sectors with the Keens so that they will actually work outside of Chocolate Doom.

Moved the sectors with the Keens so you can't hear those sectors while they're doing their thing.

Removed the teleport action on the ledges so it is possible to fall into the water at the bottom of the ravine. Since there is otherwise no way to get out, I moved the teleport lines that used to be on the ledges down into the ravine.

Added an outer set of barricades that raises and lowers.

Changed the order of when the barricades are triggered to come up and made their rise fast. The barricades also reach the ceiling now instead of stopping part of the way up.

Added monster blocking lines around the barricades to prevent monsters from dying on top of the barricades, thus keeping them from rising all the way up to their full intended height. The blocking lines make the monster behavior look a little bit odd in a few spots, but that was somewhat unavoidable given the structure.

Various textures fixed and aligned. I figure no one is really concerned with knowing exactly which textures were changed from one thing to another and which linedefs were set to lower unpegged and which textures were moved over slightly to realign them.

Changed the structure of the exit room slightly.

Set some enemies to ambush.

Ensured that some enemies in side rooms become active instead of remaining idle until they saw you, which defeated how I intended for them to interact with you in the map during play.

Added more dead bodies to suggest fighting that had previously occurred during the initial invasion.

Added a bit more ammo and weapons for death match play.

Ports tested: Chocolate Doom 3.0.0, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2, ZDoom 2.8.1, GZDoom 3.2.5

Known errors:

I'm 99.9% sure I removed all the VPOs (the highest number I could find after a lot of testing in Chocorenderlimits was 126, once, with a max of 111 being far more common). Some of the changes were made to eliminate VPOs that MIGHT occur. But I decided that, to maintain vanilla compatibility, I had to remove them.

Spoiler

It took me awhile to track down the last few VPOs because I wasn't standing in the right spot or walking backward at the right time.

There are still some HOMs that occur in Chocolate Doom due to seg overflows. I couldn't think of a good way to eliminate these without wholesale removing big chunks of the level, which I didn't want to do. Ultimately, they don't crash vanilla Doom, they just look somewhat strange (an imp fireball repeated 15 or 20 times looks a little odd), but they should be gone as soon as you turn. Besides, they're not there in Boom and up.

I haven't found any slime trails. There are a few that were rendered by Eureka's 3D view, but they don't show up during play.

Back story: The Mountain Garrison was a base that had been allowed to fall into near-disrepair and tended to be the last destination for those troops that had crossed the wrong commanding officer. It was far removed from almost everything. When the demon horde came they swept through everything, including the Mountain Garrison. From the operations hub, the command staff could see the destruction the horde had wrought. They decided to send you in for quick reconnaissance, with strict instructions to avoid engaging the enemy unless absolutely necessary. Armed with your sidearm, you stepped on to the teleport, with the next stop being the central room of the Mountain Garrison.

Map 43 by @Marlamir: sectors 1443 and 2375: needs change effect to damage nukage.   Sectors 1410 and 1414 are enterable but not exitable. On secret sector 2169 no any surprise.

map 51 by StormCatcher.77. I have no idea to exit first domain on zdoom 2.8.1 (possible from sector 2362 (tag 34), script 2 (57)). Doom builder not found sectors with tag 58.