Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
randy

Abandoned Labs! (abandoned.wad)

YOU MUST HAVE THIS EXACT VERSION OF THE DOOM 3 TEXTURES TO DOOM 2 WAD IN ORDER TO SEE ANY OF THIS! YOU MUST LAUNCH ABANDONED.WAD WITH D3R_B5.WAD, OTHERWISE EVERYTHING WILL BE MISSING TEXTURES! DON'T LET ME DOWN! THE FILE SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE ZIP, BUT HERE IS A DOWNLOAD LINK JUST IN CASE!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e6OA1Nc1DPTfu7zCQj_5RKrXxN1LsYqx/view?usp=sharing

Hey guys! It's me, Randy again, back with another SIIIIIIICKK WAD!!!! This time it's abandoned.wad, and I've chosen a much better name than my last WAD. Sorry 'bout that, community. Anyways, let's cut to the chase. This was tested in ZDoom and GZDoom. Any attempts at launching it with Chocolate Doom were met with an error. The IWAD used is DOOM2.WAD. Please don't use jumping or crouching. Also, in case you didn't read the first part in bold, here it is again: THERE ARE CUSTOM TEXTURES!!!!!! There's only one map in this WAD (MAP01) so sorry if you were looking for something huge. Since you guys said my last WAD was too easy, I've tried to make it harder. If it's still too easy, or even too hard, e-mail me. My e-mail address is included in the README file.

Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KAOlNhNkkf-JR-TKnwJn0h2StgKOhaGm/view?usp=sharing

Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/pWBfh

Just one more reminder, YOU HAVE TO RUN THIS WITH D3R_B5.WAD!! OTHERWISE EVERYTHING WILL BE MISSING TEXTURES! Thanks.

8 minutes ago, bonnie said:

Those screenshots look super duper flat and hallway-ey friend. :c

Have you played the WAD yet?

@randy
This map have some symmetrical monster placement and this is dull solution, because things getting predictable, on a par with boredom. Believe the sharp eye of author who made 60+ maps and still going on.

It also applying to symmetrical layouts.
It's impossible to create unique and interesting encounters on purely symmetrical maps, because they do not allow the most efficient use of monsters, so your encounters and traps should influence the layout of the map from the start.
Try taking one half of that symmetrical room and reshaping the vertices to create something asymmetrical. Some of the best gamespaces I ever created were a result of just dragging vertices around. Never underestimate the power of splitting linedefs. 

Figure 1 : quick example of plain, symmetrical room design
Ac64i09l.png

Figure 2 : quick example of improved, asymmetrical room design
qzQyHael.png

Symmetry is only good when making CTF maps in order the teams to have equal advantages.

The other critics:
-Where is the door key color markers? No markers is mostly weird choice except some special cases.
-Learn how to delete unused textures (in Slade3) from wad, because it turns to huge waste of space. Also it is better to merge textures and map onto one wad, when your map is ready.
-The place with arch-vile near end have no cover, rather it have 4 megaspheres to get healed. This is also dull move and means probably author even do not bother to create interesting area to fight arch-vile.
-Doom community is allergic to inescapable pits. It is better not to use them, or at least put signs of danger in front of the pits.
-Add windows, balconies, interconnections to spice up map design. Player must see what he is striving for, and not just wander the corridors in search of doors. Also adding more height variations is good.

Overall rating:
1.5/5 because the map is looks like unfinished in terms of design (plain). Boring monster placement and many symmetrical layouts. Author can make better if he make more maps and read reviews from other people. Anyway thanks to uploading, because I still get experience when I'm researching the maps of other authors.

the OP hurts my eyes, it's so flashy and capital-lettery with big bold text. Could it have hurt to tone things down a bit? :p

riderr sums up my thoughts. pretty plain-jane map, through-and-through. Keep working though, you'll make something good eventually!