Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Using Build games .ART files in GZDoom

Question

Is it possible ? If so how does one go about adding these files ? do we have to place them between the P_START and P_END Markers ? (patches directory in the case of .pk3s) because I tried doing so and it didn't work, according to this article Build tiles are indeed supported, I'm trying to keep the naming convention of textures, Extracting them using Slade renames them for some reason.

15 answers to this question

I don't think ART files are supported as a normal graphics format, you can try loading them in to your archive and using the image name BTILxxxx, but I think they can only be loaded with the -art command line param, which specifies a folder to load ART files from. I'm not sure it supports loading them from archive at all.

22 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

How would that work in this case to rename all 256 same named textures with a unique name?

Highlighting them all and exporting them only exports the first texture.

Spoiler

6hJRv2W.png

That seems to work for this case.

Load the art file into Slade3 and do a conversion

Spoiler

FUyeUuA.png

Then, for vanilla format, go through the process of including the patch in Texture1 and PNAMES.

Hi, Sorry for the late reply, I tried this and it didn't work, only the first Patch gets converted and it overwrites the selected .ART file rather than converting every graphic included, I'm I doing something wrong ?

Right click on Tiles0000.ART (as an example) go to graphic and select "extract all", that will unpack all the individual patches. You can then do as you wish.

EDIT: Using slade3.

Like I said I'm trying to keep the naming convention of textures, Extracting them using Slade renames them for some reason.

I believe ART files support has only ever been tested in GRP files; perhaps it doesn't work from other archives.

It sucks because we have to use command line parameters to load these files, also after more digging It seems like there's no way to Batch extract textures without losing their names, the only other way to use them is by launching them using the -art parameter.

What are these names you speak of? ART files don't have any names, art is referred to entirely by ID. Do you just want the extracted name in a specific format?

Yes, I would like to extract them with a specified prefix, BTIL to be precise, I have done some map conversions and that's how the textures names turned out but It seems like there is no way to load the .ART files or extract the textures with that naming convention.

SLADE has a mass rename feature if you want them to be named BTILsomething.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

SLADE has a mass rename feature if you want them to be named BTILsomething.

How would that work in this case to rename all 256 same named textures with a unique name?

Spoiler

KRAZXsH.png

Highlighting them all and exporting them only exports the first texture.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Nice, didn't know you could just write && and let Slade do the renaming job, I'm gonna try this and see if it doesn't mess up the texture order, thx.

EDIT : Ah, one little issue with this already, can't make it fullzeros to ensure the name format is correct, welp that's it.
EDIT #2 : Actually this seems rather simple, I'll just select a set of textures and insert the zeros manually instead and see how it goes.

Sans_titre.png

Wehh, finally

Edited by dmg_64