Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The Standard E1 Community Project... lives again! (On idgames!)

On 19/1/2018 at 2:53 AM, rdwpa said:

Here's an FDA. 68% kills, 0% secrets, 7:01. At first I was just blitzing through the map but then I stopped to kill the cacos/etc. when I saw the crate maze, because it seemed like I'd get infinite-talled from above.

Fun map. The spaciousness and curves combined with the KDITD style are a pretty rare combination. The map has a really dreamlike feel because of the scale and geometry. Would replay more thoroughly. (Although I still would skip barons and cacos when lacking a RL.)

elv02_Rd_fda.zip

Very interesting demo, I've found some bugs I wasn't aware of, thank you!

EDIT: I don't understand why the red key trap didn't work...

Edited by Angry Saint

@The_SloVinator Cool map, with a very classic E1 feel and gameplay! Here is a thorough, 100% FDA that I recorded: rs_S01_FDA.zip

As far as feedback goes: I felt like the single-destination teleports after grabbing the keys weren't very effective. Might work better with an additional teleport spot, close to the exit of the room for instance, so that the player doesn't just Chaingun down the dudes as they spawn in single file. The teleports near the exit work great in comparison, and force the player to move around.

Also noticed some misaligned textures here and there, although that may be intentional for the more vintage look.

Good stuff overall!

@Angry Saint Played through V2 of Eden Log and thought it had some good changes. The fake wall passage to the RL was really cool too. Maybe adding like 5-10 more rockets early on would make killing the Cacos/Barons a bit smoother.

Some bugs I've noticed:

5 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

@The_SloVinator Cool map, with a very classic E1 feel and gameplay! Here is a thorough, 100% FDA that I recorded: rs_S01_FDA.zip

As far as feedback goes: I felt like the single-destination teleports after grabbing the keys weren't very effective. Might work better with an additional teleport spot, close to the exit of the room for instance, so that the player doesn't just Chaingun down the dudes as they spawn in single file. The teleports near the exit work great in comparison, and force the player to move around.

Also noticed some misaligned textures here and there, although that may be intentional for the more vintage look.

Good stuff overall!

Thanks for the feedback.

I also forgot to give the square linedefs around the yellow & red key a flag "Not shown on automap". lol But I guess that one isn't big of a deal.

May I release the improved version or is it over for that?

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:
  • 6 enemies fail to teleport in.

Which source port did you use? Because with Zdoom and prboom+ the trap worked correctly...

Assuming port and complevel info are correct plus it being an intermittent issue, it's likely the fault of design, such as monsters not activating or missing a line, then blocking it from other monsters, but more info would be needed to troubleshoot the monsters failing to teleport.

2 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Which source port did you use? Because with Zdoom and prboom+ the trap worked correctly...

Whoops! Should've attached the demo I guess. :X ELv02_S01.zip

I used GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4 in 8Bit Software Mode. -cl3 and all that.

Also, interesting to note, I was able to use IDDT during the demo to find the stuck enemies. Didn't think cheats like that worked.

Edited by Spectre01

5 hours ago, Liberation said:

@The_SloVinator We are still waiting for e1m9 I do believe, so go for it. 

I've done about 85% geometry of my map. Further will be the adjusting of things and testing.

@CarpetolA Finally got around to playing and recording an FDA for e1m5: E1M5_S01_FDA.zip

After checking the text file, I strongly disagree with having the RL early and Chaingun later. In my FDA, I didn't use rockets at all until the final area. Meanwhile, the Chaingun would've been nice to have, and I was at 400 bullets when I finally got it.

Everything else was cool though. Cheers!

So, here is my map. If you find bugs post them here. Also comments and FDAs is welcomed.
Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/frqdrebtcao01wv/tsurface.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9zx3av6oz5hpoo7/tsurface_v2.zip

zsAuh5x.jpg

"To the surface" by riderr3
E1M9 replacement for Standard E1 Replacement Community Project

Advanced engine needed: Limit-Removing
Music: "Hangar 7" by James Paddock
Map: E1M9
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 10 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3, WadSpy
Tested With: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4
Description: Escape from the depths to the surface through the nukage treatment base.

Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original
authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

Edited by riderr3

Holy Moly, that was fast!

Adding to the OP list and i'll starting to download and compling all maps!

Kudos to all!

EDIT: And we have an alpha version of the episode! I was fast compiling this too!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8gim2w5ppp2wp4d/STANDARD.WAD

Level list (i used the @Capellan suggestion):

E1M1: No crates on phobos

E1M2: Janus Complex

E1M3: Main Reckon Facility

E1M4: Research Complex

E1M5: Third Moon lab

E1M6: Inner Port

E1M7: Eden Log

E1M8: Obliterate Anomalies

E1M9: To the surface

is just maps and a modified mapinfo from e1m5, i'll work on CWILVs next time, also looking for a episode name (Deadly standards, maybe?)

If anything is wrong here in this compilation please let me know...

Edited by Walter confetti

@riderr3 Just did a playthrough of e1m9 - great stuff! Here's an FDA: tsurface_S01_FDA.zip

Big fan of the visuals, layout and gameplay here. The concept of trying to reach the helipad from an underground cave is pretty cool too.

I wasn't sure how to reach the green armour to the right of the lift, and apparently missed ~10 enemies despite finding all the secrets.

That helipad also looked like a great place to have some kind of boss fight with a Cyberdemon. I was slightly disappointed that the map ended before stepping in there.

On 2018-01-23 at 3:44 AM, Spectre01 said:

@CarpetolA Finally got around to playing and recording an FDA for e1m5: E1M5_S01_FDA.zip

After checking the text file, I strongly disagree with having the RL early and Chaingun later. In my FDA, I didn't use rockets at all until the final area. Meanwhile, the Chaingun would've been nice to have, and I was at 400 bullets when I finally got it.

Everything else was cool though. Cheers!

@Spectre01 Thank you for your feedback! I'll look into the map and fidget around a bit in it.

BTW, I had completely forgot about this project. I'm relieved to see that it has been resurrected and passed on to another overseer. Great decision, guys!

9 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I wasn't sure how to reach the green armour to the right of the lift, and apparently missed ~10 enemies despite finding all the secrets.

This is again problem of compatibility level, because single zombieman is too close to the wall. My faults, I should test also on cl3. A minor bug, but prevent map from being maxed with certain circumstances.

Here are updated map where floors can be lowered also in cl3:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9zx3av6oz5hpoo7/tsurface_v2.zip

@Walter confettiplease include new version of my map.

I'll be posting an update of my map as well. Just trying to sort out a rather obscure lowering floor engine bug. No need to rush on finalizing the maps, IMO. This project has been going for nearly a year now, so it's probably better to make sure everything works well rather than throwing it out the door ASAP.

Some misc thoughs:

• Are the maps without custom midis intended for whatever the default E1 music is for that slot?
  • What about new title/menu etc. graphics?
  • I've been meaning to bring this up before, the the "Standard E1" part has always been slightly misleading. Seems to me that people would expect a DTWID-style, authentic E1 experience, while this project has a more diverse visual style and includes enemies and weapons from the later episodes.
  • I can also take a crack at writing the ending lore text, unless somebody else really wants to do it.

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:
  • Are the maps without custom midis intended for whatever the default E1 music is for that slot?

I don't play with music, so if anyone has suggestions for MIDIs they think would suit, I'm happy to nod and say "sure, use that" :)

Edited by Capellan : Nod not not

e1m8_S01_Final.zip

Here is a "final" version of e1m8. Some minor gameplay adjustments and a beefed-up HNTR. If you've played V6 that's been in this thread for years, it's nearly the same. Mostly cosmetic changes and better lighting variation. Software mode is recommended for the authentic "I can't see those Shotgunners" experience. :P UV-Max in 14:30 demo attached , if you'd rather watch than play. Also, obviously, shows the secrets which you'll want to grab on UV if playing from a pistol start.

Cheers!

13 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Some misc thoughs:

• What about new title/menu etc. graphics?
  • I've been meaning to bring this up before, the the "Standard E1" part has always been slightly misleading. Seems to me that people would expect a DTWID-style, authentic E1 experience, while this project has a more diverse visual style and includes enemies and weapons from the later episodes.
  • I can also take a crack at writing the ending lore text, unless somebody else really wants to do it.

1) I think I will put new midis in some levels if they really need and if the author is OK with that.

2) I will make the title and episode new graphics, most probably tonight. Also i've asked you guys if "deadly standards" could fit as a episode name for this project, but nobody answered me to that.

3) Sure, go ahead. Even if I think that the original end text could be good as ending text.

Also, i'll add the new level versions to the next compilation release.

I do believe I've done an original MIDI for @CarpetolA for this project. If need be, I can provide more original tracks to help out with that. Actually, I may have offered my services for the original conception of this project, so I guess the offer still stands in that regard.