Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CapnClever

New to posting maps? Read this first!

Please fix this post with the important posts dear admins! 

A must read for every noob mapper around there...

Finally someone who gets it. I fucking hate having to guess what source port or what version of a source port I need to use for either maps or mods.

Definitely recommend this as well for sticky.

Nice and useful reference for new mappers.

However, I would differ in one point and say that it's perfectly ok (actually preferable) to state the compatibility instead of the source port(s) used for testing as long as you know what you're doing (make sure you actually do know what you're doing, though).

Someone posting their first map doesn't necessarily mean they're completely new to Doom.

Also if you use custom assets then CREDIT THEM,if you don't then its basically stealing :(

i have a question,  i saw where it said file size is limited to 50mbs unless getting permission to upload higher than that...mine is around 180mb.  how do i go about getting permission to upload a larger file?

23 minutes ago, cortlong50 said:

i have a question,  i saw where it said file size is limited to 50mbs unless getting permission to upload higher than that...mine is around 180mb.  how do i go about getting permission to upload a larger file?

What kind of wad/pk3 contains 180 megabytes? 

Anyway, it contains everything what you need in this thread.

14 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

What kind of wad/pk3 contains 180 megabytes? 

Anyway, it contains everything what you need in this thread.

mine.

"Files over 50MB in size without prior approval."

thats what it says.  approval from who?

This thread, which I linked contains email adress where you can ask about files/uploads and such and your wad falls in that category.

3 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

This thread, which I linked contains email adress where you can ask about files/uploads and such and your wad falls in that category.

Thank you! i read through everything thoroughly but skipped the last little bit, of course thats where my answer was haha.

don't really know if this is the right topic, but since it is fixed i won't mess up with anything.

I was wondering if creating and publishing a remake of a plutonia map would be legal / accepted, and if so, would it be enough to mention this on a credits text file? thank you

There are so many remakes of iwad levels like countryard or hangar. If you did everything in your orginal way without blindly copy-paste from iwad map, there won't be any problems. 

thanks for the reply, here is what i am basically doing: i'm using the same layouts and sectors but i am changing every trigger every monster, textures and the path to end the map, basically creating a new map on the same structure. Is that okay? Now that i think about it i saw many doom 2 remakes with almost no changes at all so mine was probably just an useless paranoia :)

It sounds like this is what you're doing (not necessarily in this order, of course):

1. Deleting all things (monsters, weapons, items, decorations, etc.) in the map.
  2. Deleting all lindef and sector tags in the map.
  3. Leaving all floor and ceiling heights unchanged.
  4. Changing textures on most or all of the walls.
  5. Adding new things everywhere in the map.
  6. Adding new linedef and sector tags to trigger new actions.

So you would be basically using the shell of the map that someone else designed but populating it differently. This is probably enough for you to not worry about legality and acceptance by idgames.

I would council you that you may want to consider a different course of action. Using the shell of a map and retexturing and repopulating can be useful in the early stages of your mapping career in order to gain a better understanding about how things look together or work together or how different actions will result in different encounters and outcomes and flow. However, in the long run, especially when you release a map, it may be best for you to try making your own map from scratch instead of re-using the bones of someone else's map. I think you'll ultimately learn more starting from scratch and your effort will probably be better received.

Really exhaustive, thank you so much for this kind reply. You've got the point here, i am trying to understand how a completely outdoors map works (the map in question is number 29 of plutonia: odyssey of noises. I've made many indoor wads and this was basically my first attempt on a different way of mapping. Doing this "remake" was harder than i thought but i've learned much from it. Next time it will be from scratch for sure!

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll post it again here. 

Minimalist OPs have been fine since forever. That isn't what this thread was designed to address.

About this part:

On 7/29/2017 at 11:30 PM, CapnClever said:
  • Which IWAD did you use? The assumed IWAD is Doom II, but if you used Ultimate Doom or TNT or Plutonia then please mention it.
  • Mapsets are assumed to start on MAP01 (or E1M1 for Doom1 maps) and play continuously until reaching an unedited map. If one of these isn't true, explain exactly which maps are in your set so players don't have to hunt around.

It says that if a wad plays back with the Doom II iwad and on (or starting from) map 01, there is no need to explicitly point that out. Nowadays, I occasionally see people saying 'you're leaving out important info' and linking this thread, but no one was confused about this in the past.

Furthermore, short descriptors such as 'vanilla' and 'complevel 9' are fully descriptive of the minimum target port. This line...

On 7/29/2017 at 11:30 PM, CapnClever said:
  • What port(s) did you test with? Nevermind if it's supposed to be vanilla or limit-removing or Boom-compatible, if you tested in GZDoom then you write that

is to emphasize that people who didn't test with the appropriate minimum target port should point out as such.

Minimalist OPs are totally fine. If you don't know what a term like 'limit-removing' suggests about allowable ports, or you would like to know whether you can jump or crouch or barrel roll, you can ask an ordinary question. Threads that leave out the minimum info needed to play the wad are the sort that deserve a referral.  

Should we capitalise the ‘read this first’ part of the thread title? A lot of people seem to miss this thread and every little visual cue helps I guess

I've been creating maps for a few years now but I haven't posted any of my work. Reason being? All the maps I made in the past are created mainly to test out the Doom Builder and everything I can do with it.

It wasn't until about November last year that I actually decided to get serious and actually create a full-blown 32map megawad. I have downloaded other people's wads, not to copy what they did, but mainly for research purposes to see why their wads are great, and also saw why the bad ones are an epic failure. I know my wad isn't gonna make the list of best wads ever made and that's okay with me. If people like my work and enjoy playing my megawad, then that's good enough for me. 

My first map in my megawad would make a great multiplayer deathmatch map if I took away the keys and locked doors as everything is all pretty much interconnected, and map 2 would be good for multiplayer too, but I haven't put any player 2, 3, 4 and so on starting points in it as I've never played any of the classic Doom games online so I don't know how to go about doing that.

I will post a trailer video of my megawad on to my YouTube channel when my megawad is near completion and I'm thinking of letting a few well known Doomers have a look at it first hand before making it available to download for everyone. A have a couple people in mind but I will need to ask them first to see if they will agree to give it a try before I release it publicly.