Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Will source ports affected by CPU vulnerability?

Every program could be affected by this. But, to get affected, you have to be running software that can perform the attacks. Once you have shitty software running, anything can potentially happen. So be careful where you visit, and what you download and run.

Short answer, no.

Long answer nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I think,

Spoiler

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees....

Incorrect. The fix only affects tasks switching between kernel and user space memory. Doom source ports don't exactly do this often, and Doom itself has very little I/O.

The only types of systems that'll be largely affected is VM server farms and I/O heavy processing such has databases.

Definitely no. This was one of the first things I tested when the patch was deployed and none of the ports I checked were affected - neither software rendered nor OpenGL.

So, @Cacodemon345, please do your research before posting fake news based on hearsay and conjecture.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:59 AM, Jerry.C said:

Definitely no. This was one of the first things I tested when the patch was deployed and none of the ports I checked were affected - neither software rendered nor OpenGL.

So, @Cacodemon345, please do your research before posting fake news based on hearsay and conjecture.

What was fake? And, he asked a question - yikes.

2 hours ago, Jerry.C said:

Have you even checked his stupid spoiler?

Yeah, I saw it. But it was a valid concern, considering how much the media blew it way out of proportion. I mean, it is a horribly nasty processor bug, and the current software "fixes" are at least as bad (unless they've been improved on). Bug the vulnerability has been present for many years, and, like most things, you must be running malware to be caught with your pants down.

As goofy as the OP's responses are, this is an ugly situation all around. And, yes, it affects I/O calls, and a lot more. Basically, ANY calls to ANY code outside of the main program are vulnerable: For example, memory allocation, disk and network I/O, sound and music drivers, video drivers, etc. Luckily, most of the work Doom does is within the executable itself, which is why no one's reporting serious performance problems (with Doom executables).

Valid concern or not it's never good to post such FUD without doing any research. The entire thing had been debunked the moment the patches appeared. And still all we get here is, put into legible English: "I think, YES (it does affect performance of Doom ports)", which clearly showed that he neither did any research nor any testing.

15 hours ago, Jerry.C said:

Valid concern or not it's never good to post such FUD without doing any research. The entire thing had been debunked the moment the patches appeared. And still all we get here is, put into legible English: "I think, YES (it does affect performance of Doom ports)", which clearly showed that he neither did any research nor any testing.

You do mean that a slowdown situation for Doom was debunked, not the original vulnerabilities? Because, the way you worded it, it could kinda go either way. Speaking of misunderstandings... Edward850 made a joke, and then OP tried his (or her?) hand at a comeback, in a spoiler no less. I'm not seeing a big violation here. Oh well.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:47 AM, fraggle said:

The mov-only DOOM renders approximately one frame every 7 hours, so playing this version requires somewhat increased patience.

What? No one would ever play Doom at such very low speed.

17 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

What? No one would ever play Doom at such very low speed.

Nothing gets past this guy.

The DSDA record for completing E1M1 is nine seconds. Which means between 315 and 349 frames.  Let's go with 332 frames. With seven hours per frame, it means 2324 hours to render a demo playback. That's merely 96 days. Let's suppose the time needed for the game initializing adds the remaining four days, and you get a round 100 days to watch a Doom speed demo of E1M1 without opening your CPU to any vulnerability.