Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

I feel like I've been playing ZDoom for almost 14 years, has it been around that long? It's definitely my port of choice, next would be ZDaemon for the multiplayer.

I dabble in GL ports now and then, I like GZDoom and Zandronum a lot, but for some reason i force myself to not play too much 'pretty' doom with lighting and all that jazz. I enjoy it, but I guess i don't want to spoil software rendering or something..

On 12/31/2017 at 11:49 AM, DepravedDiptera said:

KBDoom.

Wow, thanks! Quite an endorsement without anything to see. KBDoom is my favorite, cause it's a product of my blood, sweat, and tears, as they say.

Otherwise, I find all ports interesting. The community, the ports, the PWADs, and Doom itself has become a source of massive depth. The nuances of gameplay, the infinite places to explore via PWADs, the rich set of capabilities of today's ports, the vast info contained in the DoomWiki. The map and WAD editors, the special programs that build map, colormap, image, and sound resources. GL rendering. 3D floors, portals. It's unbelievable. To become even partially fluent in all of it literally takes years.

Even the original Doom.exe and Doom.wad are unbelievable feats. The original commands DOS to switch to 32-bit mode, and switches back to 16-bit mode temporarily to read files, then switches back to 32-bit protected mode, and the game continues.

The speed at which the Id Software guys built Doom defies logic. I don't think many people can appreciate how amazing it really is. That's why I love all source ports. I tip my hat to anyone who dives in and takes control, and builds new versions of this masterful game. It's only going to get better and better.

19 minutes ago, Marnetstapler said:

I wasn't expecting PrBoom+ to have such a big lead. What have I been missing out on?

Nothing really. But have you seen many (G)ZDoom users posting regularly here? I got the feeling that the communities are mutually exclusive for the most parts.

2 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

I wasn't expecting PrBoom+ to have such a big lead. What have I been missing out on?

If you haven't used pr/glboom+ before, you may be surprised to see that it actually improves upon a surprising number of aspects, aside from some key exceptions such as mods, zdoom-only maps, easily accessable multiplayer (zandronum), and I guess ambient occlusion and bloom and whatnot (and maybe some other things I'm not thinking about).

Unless you exclusively play with mods like brutal doom or complex doom or what have you, there's absolutely no reason you can't have pr/glboom+ (they come together) as your main port AND a zdoom port of your choice for specific instances.

Don't be spooked either, pr/glboom+ is extremely easy to setup (especially compared to zdoom ports), taking about 1-2 minutes to fully setup your first time. It's simple, user-friendly, and has a lot more customizability than you'd expect. The only genuine problem it has is bizarre default automap colors which can't be easily fixed.

If you're still spooked, you can look on my profile for a starter-pack of sorts, a preconfigured pr/glboom+ config that includes .bat files and a .txt file to explain everything (it also fixes the automap). It's basically ready to play right out of the box, as long as you put your iwads in.

But no yeah prboom+ is pretty great.

Zandronum, it combines all I really need from a Doom Sourceport, a smooth OpenGL Renderer, Multiplayer, and compatibility with Vanilla, Boom and most ZDoom and GZDoom mods.

Well, I mostly use zdoom family ports. They were first which hooked me in doom and mods. I still use them, even if these days I don't use mods that much as I used to. Prboom+ and Eternity is mostly for map testing and demos to check if maps work as intended and bug tracking. 

Glboom since it looks good and it's simple, also because i usually map for it, though i also like GZDoom a lot.

If i played multiplayer i guess i would probably preffer Zandronum probably.

I'm mostly relying on GZDoom since it was also my very first source port and after I got mostly used to it with time it's become my favorite for playing the classic Doom games and wads. Being highly customizable is another reason.

I'm also having PrBoom+ set up and I'm using it every now and then, but mostly keeping around for when I'll need it for a wad or something.

PrBoom+ for SP, GlBoom+ only if required or on mobile, (G)zDoom are necessities, and Zand/ZDaemon/Oda are all love. Also loving progress on EE; hopefully that'll become a more prominent port in the future. Crispy Heretic gets a shout out too as a nice port, though we do still really need a PrHeretic+ at some point...

I like glboom-plus for its sharp graphics and colours, hugely better than prboom-plus. I just wish it had more save slots, and that it would autosave at the start of a level.

I do use ZDoom/GZDoom a fair bit as well, as I play a fair number of wads which require them, and also use mods like Complex DoomHard DoomProject Brutality etc from time to time.

I think if you looked at all Doom players today, GZDoom would have a huge lead, but Doomworld has always been a bastion of the more traditionalist player so I'm not at all surprised that PRBoom+ is leading here.

I used to use prboom-plus but since reinstalling I've had weird mouse issues (turning results in jittery mouse movement?) so now  I use Crispy Doom for all my vanilla style gameplay. Zandro for everything (G)Zdoom based and then GZDoom SVN when needed.

5 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

neither did i. it's the #1 port if you record / play back demos though.

I'm a bit biased, but I chose Risen3D, since I've been involved with its development from its inception.

5 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

I've always said that if PrBoom+ had client/server netplay, it would have the largest duel/dm following as well as survival/coop. Even as a MP schmuck who almost exclusively plays Zandronum I can see PrBoom+ is pretty popular.

42 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Doomsday. If a wad doesn't load in Doomsday it deserves an angry 1-star review. 

Fun fact: I used to play the IWADs with Doomsday and 3D models. The lighting system was very nice actually, from what I remember.

1 hour ago, Pirx said:

neither did i. it's the #1 port if you record / play back demos though.

I'd argue it's also the #1 port for authentic vanilla gameplay mechanics without being overly restrictive like Chocolate Doom or what have you. The GL version is also the #1 port for performance reasons and playing large-scale slaughtermaps.

I actually voted Zandronum though, because it does everything.

Chocolate, then PrBoom+ and Zandronum for limit removing/Boom and multiplayer respectively.  Anything else is generally a "meh, if I have to (for some WAD or another that interested me)" affair.

I might have more interest in Eternity if Heretic/Hexen support ever got finished in it, but I've been waiting on that something like 7 years now.  Insert "takes an Eternity" joke here.

I mostly use the ZDoom family of ports, since ZDoom (not GZDoom) was the port that got me into Doom and checking out the mods and maps for the game, although I have not really been playing many mods as I used to. I do use GLBoom+ for that nice performance and demo compatibility, so I do branch out with other ports. Eitherway, GZDoom is my main source port to play Doom on nowadays, even without vanilla demo support.

5 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Chocolate, then PrBoom+ and Zandronum for limit removing/Boom and multiplayer respectively.  Anything else is generally a "meh, if I have to (for some WAD or another that interested me)" affair.

I might have more interest in Eternity if Heretic/Hexen support ever got finished in it, but I've been waiting on that something like 7 years now.  Insert "takes an Eternity" joke here.

It's getting pretty darn close now for Heretic thanks to Altazimuth's efforts with inventory and weapons.

I find it interesting that ZDoom is getting a few votes. Is there something ZDoom can do that GZDoom can't? I always thought GZDoom did software mode better now thanks to dpJudas.