Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

An editing question

for me, i'd say 6 or 7.

detailed self-review:

creativity/originality: 10 - I think of the most craziest stuff ever. Even Hyena says I'm crazy. And now that I'm learning ZDoom stuff again... mwahahahaha!
detailing: 4 - I suck, unless I really put dedication into it. However, I'm prone to using doom2.exe tricks.
gameplay: 9 - Believe it or not, I have a really good sense of item and monster placement. I don't usually put in much health, though.

boris said:

When you all are so good at editing and designing, why don't we see a dozen 1337 maps in /newstuff each week?

Just cause we're so amazing it doesn't mean we aren't lazy basrads :P

Fine, I'll give myself a -5 for getting wads done.

Ultimate DooMer said:

12 for innovative ideas/concepts

elaborate on your definition of "innovative ideas/concepts".

Archvile64 said:

Fine, I'll give myself a -5 for getting wads done.

work on udm2 you lazy basrad

while i'm on subject, why are you never on AIM?

deathz0r said:

elaborate on your definition of "innovative ideas/concepts".

New level designs/themes that had never been done before (eg. remote island, a ship at sea, barren desert, a map with no walls), clever new features that are really cool (eg. blackout, flooding mine, elemental tests, timed sections) and concepts like setting all the levels in a world (together with a storyline), so you feel like you're actually going places while playing it.

/me now sits back and awaits the inevitable flamewar...

Ultimate DooMer said:

(eg. remote island, a ship at sea, barren desert, a map with no walls)

Well to tell the truth, I was going to, but now u just ruined the whole thing :P

DOOM Anomaly said:

Well to tell the truth, I was going to, but now u just ruined the whole thing :P

blame deathy, he asked the question....

But you can still do a map like that. Just because I made a map like that a year ago (Fragport map 31) doesn't mean you can't make one as well. (as long as it's different from mine)

deathz0r said:

work on udm2 you lazy basrad

No.

Actually, I'm working on Freedoom. Really. I've got a level done already, and I'm on a good roll with another one.

while i'm on subject, why are you never on AIM?

Have you tried adding Hyzdu the Dragon to your buddy list?

Archvile64 said:

Have you tried adding Hyzdu the Dragon to your buddy list?

did just then.

deathz0r said:

that's easy to do, plus it's not original.

Of course it's easy to do, (especially with custom graphics) but why was it not original? (in other words, who got there first?)

DooMBoy said:
I would rate myself at about a 7.

I take it you finally got doors working properly? :)

Mordeth said:

Ouch. That had to hurt :)

boris said:

When you all are so good at editing and designing, why don't we see a dozen 1337 maps in /newstuff each week?

Because we are slow... :P

boris said:

I sent my version of E1M8 to the /newstuff, but it didn't show up. Right now, I'm hip deep in my rendition of E1M7 :)

Mordeth said:

ZING!

DooMBoy said:

I sent my version of E1M8 to the /newstuff, but it didn't show up.

Did you actually send it to /newstuff, or /incoming?

You are supposed to upload to /incoming. From there it is vetted to see if it complies with the archive rules, and then it is moved to /newstuff and its permanent home in the appropriate archive directory. You should not try to upload to /newstuff

Mordeth said:

heh, it took me four and a half years to make a two-room level.

Mordeth said:

Rather oddly, and just by chance, the first moving sector effect I ever got to work was a rising staircase. The problem was, it took me another 6 or 7 years to figure out how I'd managed to get it right in the first place as every one I tried after that didn't work as I wanted or expected it to.

:-/

I'll be generous and give myself a 7.

I've shied away from some of the advanced tricks as they had a tendency to fuck-up with Gl ports (Jdoom in my case), but the gwa-build mode on GlBSP seems to sort these out completely, so i've been using a lot of instant-floor tricks as well as transparant doors in the latest wads.

As for the lack of maps on /newstuff - we've released one teaser from our megawad project. Maybe a few more later on.

The best bit about editing lately, tho, is the XGdata. The scripting, ambient sounds, coloured lighting and linked events lend to the atmosphere.

Spike said:

I've shied away from some of the advanced tricks as they had a tendency to fuck-up with Gl ports (Jdoom in my case), but the gwa-build mode on GlBSP seems to sort these out completely, so i've been using a lot of instant-floor tricks as well as transparant doors in the latest wads.

Neat. I might then compile a GL-ready version of my maps then, since I rely on many of these for effects (it being a doom-compatible WAD.)

Spike said:

As for the lack of maps on /newstuff - we've released one teaser from our megawad project. Maybe a few more later on.

Is that for this week's newstuff? If so, which wad is it?

Ultimate DooMer said:

Is that for this week's newstuff? If so, which wad is it?

Nah, they released one a while ago...

I hate rating myself :P

...but I consider myself in 7 or 8 range...i've actually never released a map yet (damn megawad), but i have ~2 years experience. I can only edit vanilla levels, but they usually turn out quite well once i'm done, especially gameplay-wise