Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Creating LAN + Master Game

Hey MP gurus, I'm trying to set up a game with a friend of mine in another state. I'd like to do either of the following:

• Host the game and play the game from my desktop PC
  • Host the game from my laptop and play from my desktop

Now, I have both boxes "Broadcast to LAN" and "Broadcast to Master" checked. When I try either of the above cases, I get the following:

5a751c184eae5_Screenshotat2018-02-0220-14-55.png.01c2d24d12e1da8cbb7e20effa2008db.png

If I uncheck the LAN box, then I can't see the server at all (which seems really weird -- why can't I at least join via the "master" wherever that is?).

Any advice?

Thanks!

(BTW, I'm using Doomseeker #dontjudgeme.)

Have you tried Connecting Manually to the server?

Means you have to connect to the server IP Yourself, in this case, if the server is home-hosted you would connect to your IP.

7bf53462e486a526365b29554d365a5d.png

Maybe this helps?

Since it's failing to bind the socket, I'm going to guess you have something blocking it such as a firewall, or it is already in use by another program. You also need to setup port forwarding on your router if you want anyone to connect to your server outside of your LAN.

https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router

If you only want your friend to connect, you do not need to broadcast on master. You can open the wad file with zandronum and connect manually using your IP address. Searching 'whats my ip' in google will tell you the answer.

The command is:

connect ip:port

e.g. connect 10.0.0.0:10666

2 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

Since it's failing to bind the socket, I'm going to guess you have something blocking it such as a firewall, or it is already in use by another program. You also need to setup port forwarding on your router if you want anyone to connect to your server outside of your LAN.

https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router

If you only want your friend to connect, you do not need to broadcast on master. You can open the wad file with zandronum and connect manually using your IP address. Searching 'whats my ip' in google will tell you the answer.

The command is:

connect ip:port

e.g. connect 10.0.0.0:10666

Ok... I've set up the port forwarding, and he is able to connect. I might try again without broadcasting to master, and I might try playing around with port numbers as well.

Thanks for the reply!

11 hours ago, VanKubus said:

Have you tried Connecting Manually to the server?

Means you have to connect to the server IP Yourself, in this case, if the server is home-hosted you would connect to your IP.

7bf53462e486a526365b29554d365a5d.png

Maybe this helps?

I might give that a try, if nothing else works. Theoretically, it shouldn't make a difference how the connection is made, but I've seen computers do strange and illogical things before.