Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KevvyLava

The Shores of Hell REDUX

Hi all, been a while.  I finally finished my 2.0/REDUX version of The Shores of Hell.

See my version of Knee-Deep In The Dead REDUX here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfmbt7qy2vlqnq8/KDITD2.zip?dl=0

Requirements: GZDoom (with mouselook turned on for a few switches that require aiming) is the only engine that this will work properly in because of 3D floors. Others requested a PrBoom+ ports, but it's not happening...sorry folks!

* Make sure to add doom1tex.wad (included) when you play.

Changes:

- MAP09 - MAP15

- Added Doom 2 monsters (sparingly at times, unsparingly at others)

- Added Super Shotgun

- Streamlined the level design

* Most levels require more/all keys

* All levels have new secrets included

* Some levels' original architecture reworked to create better or more interesting flow

* Some 3D floors and special lindefs, but nothing too crazy (if your port doesn't do Legacy-style 3D floors, it will not work)

- Play-tested this a lot, but it should be 99% bug-free

- No difficulty settings, so it'll feel like UV regardless

- All levels are beatable with pistol start

- Music selected from Doom 1 and 2

I really think anyone would like this, as it feels like a thicker version of classic Doom with some additional surprises.  Have fun, guys.

The Shores of Hell REDUX

https://www.dropbox.com/s/biadv54chc85iy0/TSOH2.zip?dl=0

Not sure that these maps are transformative enough for this to actually be considered legal (or at least allowed on /idgames), since it just takes the iwad maps and adds a few new traps and some different routing to them. A lot of the traps are fairly lazy (the imps in E1M1 that are just stuck in the nukeage due to blocking lines) and the gameplay of the originals isn't really amplified by there being 10 of a certain enemy instead of 3. I often quite enjoy revamped versions of the originals (the more ridiculous the better) but this doesn't feel like the gameplay has really changed that much.

Some people might get enjoyment out of this, but I didn't find it incredibly enthralling. As long as you had fun making it and enjoy playing it yourself, at least you will have gotten something out of it though!

GarrettChan: Map-merging was only done in a couple of situations.  I always thought E2M9 was useless as its own level...I think it works a lot better the way I did it but I'm obviously biased.

Nirvana: Not sure how far you got...some of these are radically different from the original as far as what you have to do just to complete the level, in addition to the weapons you're given to defeat the monsters that are new to the map.  I don't post on /idgames so I'm not sure what you mean.  I recommend you check out MAP06 from KDITD2.wad and MAP09, MAP11, MAP13, and especially MAP15 from TSOH2.wad.  MAP15 in TSOH2.wad will fit what you're talking about for sure.  You'll find it less "lazy" anyways.

I gave this a rip earlier today, it was a lot of fun! Challenging at times without being over-bearing. I liked the additions and "remixed" layouts, it kept it fresh while still familiar.

Why use Doom 2 music? Why not just use that for the tracks that reuse previous episode's maps (ala Doom1) ? D_E2M4 was fine for Deimos Lab, same with most of the other Doom1 tracks (with the exception of Refinery and Command Center).

Thanks Megalyth.  I felt I did the original levels justice.  I'm a couple of levels into Inferno, where I'm attempting to mix it up a bit more to make it a bit more hellish/unpredictable.

Glaice: I wanted to pick music that suited the levels and, if possible, had a similar feel to the original songs.  When all is said and done and I will make a megawad and include one with standard tunes and one with the ones I selected.