Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Let's Be Revealing

Ok, I'll give this a go. Before I get into that, though, I'm going to reveal that I'm in the process of leaving the army this week, after two years that I can't wait to see the back of. You may be seeing a lot more of me after this.

Favourite Movie Genre: Action Comedy. Good examples are the Jump Street and Rush Hour films.

Favourite Food: Dolmio Spaghetti/Pasta Bolognese (with plenty of added ingredients) for a meal; Doritos if I'm snacking like a lard-arse.

Favourite Holiday: Assuming we mean "Public Holiday", then an August Bank Holiday is my preference, as there's two of them and they mean long weekends, often with the best weather the country can offer. If we mean actual holiday (or vacation, for you colonials), then a theme park tour of somewhere like Florida again would be awesome.

Worst Memory: I've got patchy memories of fighting and being bullied as a child, which have a fair bit of emotional weight, probably exacerbated by the lack of clarity.

Favourite Memory: I feel like there should be some treasured childhood memory here, but I've honestly got nothing. Best thing I can think of at the moment is my girlfriend and I laughing at a fellow adult male rider's massive overreaction on Nemesis at Alton Towers last year.

Favourite Outfit: Shorts and t-shirt is what I most like, but as I don't often get the weather for it, jeans and a t-shirt instead. The t-shirt is often black.

Favourite Genre of Music: Heavy Metal (quite a range of styles within the genre) or, even more generally, Rock 

Most Hated Genre of Music: Whatever Job for a Cowboy are (deathcore?)... Also Grime, Jungle and other urban shit. A lot of current radio music is terrible for its simplicity, vacuous lyrics and repetition, too, but I don't listen to the radio if I can help it.

Lefty or Righty: Righty, with trained ambidextrous ability in certain tasks. Using a PC mouse being the main one.

Worst Injury: Honestly, hurting my lower back doing weights, because I've done it more than once whilst being forced to for work and it leads to pain or discomfort for fucking ages. Plus, unlike cuts, bruises or scrapes, it needs active work on my part to get better, mostly with stretching.

Favourite Hobby: Video games. I enjoy them so much that I have a degree in them, share the hobby with others when I can and make maps and mods for Doom.

Your Definition of Success: Leading a lifestyle that you both enjoy and can afford, whilst gaining recognition from those that matter (to you). I'm yet to have achieved this, ever.

In your opinion, are situations usually black or white: Usually, yes. I'm diagnosed with Asperger's, though, so I'll admit that I'm probably fitting my perception of the world into my beliefs quite forcefully, on occasion.

Movie Genre: Action.

Favorite Food: mexican food.

Favorite Genre of Music: A lot of Electronic Music genres, except EDM.

Most Hated Music: Mariachis, or "Rancheras"

Favourite Movie Genre: sci-fi and horror. especially combined

Favourite Food: chicken, but I also enjoy cheese

Favourite Holiday: Halloween. It's the one holiday that doesn't have any religious or colonial baggage. (Yes, I know there are some religious celebrations around it, but I view it as a secular holiday.) It centers around having fun, enjoying yourself, and candy, and there's an element of acceptance of different identities in that you can dress up in a costume. Plus it's an excuse to watch scary movies all month.

Worst Memory: I have a few, but both times I had to put my dog down are the ones that come to mind fastest.

Favourite Memory: Sure, I could name some hazy childhood summer memory, but one that comes to mind much more recently is when I went to see Devin Townsend last year with my best friend.

Favourite Outfit: Jeans and a t-shirt. Hoodie when I'm cold. That's it.

Favourite Genre of Music: Vaporwave and related genres, and some jazz.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Whatever Nightwish are.

Lefty or Righty: Righty.

Worst Injury: The time I tore a hole in my head trying to duck under the playground equipment in my backyard.

Favourite Hobby: Video games.

Your Definition of Success: Whatever it is that I'm not doing.

In your opinion, are situations usually black or white: Absolutely not.

Favourite Movie Genre: Comedy. Stuff like "The Naked Gun" / "Airplane" / "Spaceballs" (Or basically anything Mel Brooks in that case.)

Favourite Food: Pizza. Of any type. Except the kind with olives on it. Fuck olives. odd-tasting little buggers.

Favourite Holiday: Probably Halloween.

Worst Memory: Let's not get into that one.

Favourite Memory: The first time heading to a furry convention. [Yes. Another one of those here.] Incredibly fun / welcoming atmosphere.

Favourite Outfit: Shorter-sleeve shirt and some sweatpants if I'm in the house playing games or something. Flannel button-up / bomber-jacker (or black leather coat) and jeans when going outside. Depends on the weather.

Favourite Genre of Music: Heavy Metal.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Rap. Country.

Lefty or Righty: Righty.

Worst Injury: Skateboarding and breaking my left wrist. Hurt like a MFer, and still pops every now and then for whatever reason.

Favourite Hobby: I.. uh.. draw smut. Mostly for cash, and is my main income. Mechwarrior / Battletech (tabletop), Doom. Every now and then, I BS around on EVE Online.

Your Definition of Success: Working a job you absolutely love and maintain a peaceful / livable lifestyle as a result, so you technically never have to 'work' a day in your life.

In your opinion, are situations usually black or white: Not really. There's a lot of outcomes that can come of a situation. Likely differs from time to time, however.

Favorite Movie Genre: Quentin Tarantino... it's a genre, trust me.

Favorite Food: A massive pizza all to myself :3

Favorite Holiday: Christmas

Favorite Memory: Playing Doom with my dad in our old house.

Worst Memory: My cat dying and burrying her in the backgarden :(

Favorite Outfit: Anything that doesn't make me look stupid... like... just give me a plain white shirt and I'm happy.

Favorite Genre Of Music: Progressive rock, Jazz Fusion, Electronic

Most Hated Genre of Music: Trap. Please can this genre just die already?

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right

Worst Injury: I banged the top of my nose on the fireplace slipping on some marbles when I was around 5, I remember putting my hand to my head and just seeing loads of blood on my hand and then screaming. Can't remember anything after that though.

Favorite Hobby: Kayaking

Your Definition of Success: Dying happy... I guess.

Favorite Movie Genre: Comedy

Favorite Food: Don't really know, but Pizza is up there.

Favorite Holiday: Halloween

Favorite Memory: Dusting off a floppy disk of Doom upon finding it in my deceased grandpa's locker.

Worst Memory: More like multiple memories, mostly choices I should have made better.

Favorite Outfit: jeans, soft-soled shoes, large T-shirt (by at least one size), a winter jacket, even though It never drops below 20 degrees in my country (I just like how fluffy it is),  And a pocketwatch, as I tend to break my watches.

Favorite Genre Of Music: Can't really pick, but I like synthwave/darksynth/retrowave, Future funk and Vaporwave (unironically), 70's, 80's 90's, and some early 2000's music (from multiple countries as well, such as Germany, Japan, America, Britain, etc.), classical, heavy metal, jazz, ravecore, complextro, hard and slow rock, orchestral pieces (particularly the epic sounding ones), lofi hip-hop, eurobeat, chiptune, and a couple more, but I can't name the genres.

Most Hated Genre of Music: I don't really know the genre, but everyone seems to like it, and I hate how generic and empty is sounds. Basically, whatever seems to be popular right now.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right hand. I'm training myself to learn how to use my left hand more, as I'm paranoid something might happen to my right arm.

Worst Injury: 10-inch long deep scratch along my right forearm, when I tried to grab the side of a metal object when jumping into a pool (stupid move, I know)

Favorite Hobby: playing video games, sometimes making youtube videos

Your Definition of Success: It's the same for me. Being in debt to no one and answering only to who you decide to.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: Yes

7 hours ago, Valgilton said:

Most Hated Genre of Music: I don't really know the genre, but everyone seems to like it, and I hate how generic and empty is sounds. Basically, whatever seems to be popular right now.

That's a very poor choice of words sir.

But either way, what I think you referred to is what I call "commercial music" , basically the kind of stuff you hear on the typical (and crappy) radio stations and what is insanely popular on YT for no good reason.

Edited by Agent6

Since today is National Nobody Will Shut Up About Football Day, I hate professional sports. On my less charitable days, which is every day, I even hate sports as a concept.

screenshot-jerkcity.com 2017-02-01 19-05-05.png

2 hours ago, arobase said:

I even hate sports as a concept.

While I don't like sports in general, I do dislike how stuff like the Olympics is presented as a contest of skill rather than genetics and such. Like, yeah, you need to be incredibly skilled to get in, but it's not like you aren't competing against people who are also incredibly skilled. It ultimately comes down to who was born with the body most optimized for the sport - both in terms of baseline build and stuff like muscle and fat construction and how well it responds to training regiments.

I mean, sure, there's the element of choking and accidents and all, but that only adds to the fact that Olympic winners are ultimately just the luckiest contestants.

2 hours ago, Arctangent said:

While I don't like sports in general, I do dislike how stuff like the Olympics is presented as a contest of skill rather than genetics and such. Like, yeah, you need to be incredibly skilled to get in, but it's not like you aren't competing against people who are also incredibly skilled. It ultimately comes down to who was born with the body most optimized for the sport - both in terms of baseline build and stuff like muscle and fat construction and how well it responds to training regiments.

I mean, sure, there's the element of choking and accidents and all, but that only adds to the fact that Olympic winners are ultimately just the luckiest contestants.

lmao

Genetics certainly plays a role but it is by no means the end-all be-all, physical deformities aside. I think any professional athlete would be insulted by the idea that their hours and hours of training aren't at least as important. Certainly there are variances in how responsive one's body will be to training but 'well I'm not as genetically perfect so why bother' is a bit of a cop out that, thankfully, doesn't stop athletes from training. There have certainly been more than a few upsets if we're talking about 'who should have won from a genetics standpoint' in various competitive sporting events, especially ones where its not just sheer strength or speed but strategy as well. That's not even counting good practice such as controlled breathing, improved balance - genetics does not prevent one from learning to master these skills, crucial for competitive running, swimming etc.

In fact, there is research suggesting that our DNA actually (slowly but surely) is altered by our lifestyle, so it's no stretch to assume that people who train passionately, properly and regularly can 'bend the rules' of their generic predispositions. Point is, I strongly contest the claim that "Olympic winners are ultimately just the luckiest contestants". Luck is one piece of the pie, along with training, genetics, knowledge, tactics and several other equally important factors. A minor disadvantage is not an excuse for failure, put bluntly. I'm not trying to convert anyone here to athletes, I'm certainly (no longer) an athlete by any means but the dedication and skill factors are simply immense. To see them pooh-poohed as essentially inconsequential is frustrating as it simply isn't accurate.

EDIT: It's a very minor example, but that's like me saying there's no point in me deathmatching with 200 ping against someone with 100 ping or even less because I'm at an inherent major disadvantage. The fact is though, I can learn to work within this limitation and even use it to a strategic advantage at times, playing or moving in ways a low pinger never would, therefore they rarely expect it.

I don't follow sports at all but I certainly enjoy them as a concept, particularly tennis and rugby league.

Edited by Doomkid

I keep coming to this thread expecting to see beach or fitness/calisthenics photos.

I dislike the olympics from the "who gets to host them" kind of perspective. Many countries which have made efforts to host them are ones where I tend to think that the required/invested money would have been better spent elsewhere (Education, health-care, you name it).

Sports as a concept however, regardless of how much you think genetic predisposition plays a role, is absolutely great. It's more than just a way to stay healthy, it gives people a platform for socializing (sports clubs, or the usual chit-chats), and most importantly: It can be incredibly fun if you find something that you enjoy doing.

Professional sports certainly can be a mixed bag at times, in particular when you look at stuff like the tour de france with its history of doping, just to name one example (Besides, there are also legal forms of doping, it just so happens not every team can afford them). But in all seriousness, there is nothing wrong about professional sports from a conceptual POV. Some people are willing to dedicate basically their entire time to something they really like, and eventually achieve something that is simply an outstanding "ability", and professional sports allows them to compete with people who have the same sort of mindset going for them. Nothing bad about that, imo.

On that note, if someone outright hates everything that has to do with sports (any and all disciplines, also including E-sports if you want), it raises a bunch of questions on my end, one of which being if the good feeling that comes with one's physical well-being isn't worth the few hours a week. Or another one: Why did you not keep looking for something that may enjoy? Or yet another one: Remember when you were a little kid playing outside, running around, climbing trees or whatever, wasn't that fun?

What the hell..? If I don't get to go dancing, or don't find time to do my exercises for a few days too many, I already tend to feel less happy overall. The idea of not doing sports, ever, sounds like a kind of torture to me that I certainly wouldn't enjoy. Move while you still can people, you never know how long that privilege is gonna last you in your lives.

39 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I think any professional athlete would be insulted by the idea that their hours and hours of training aren't at least as important.

They're important because otherwise they wouldn't reach the Olympics at all, like I already said, but you already have to be the best of the best in terms of country-wide skill to even reach the Olympics in the first place, so at that point the only thing that doesn't come down to genetics is just purely having a shittier training thing.

39 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

It's a very minor example, but that's like me saying there's no point in me deathmatching with 200 ping against someone with 100 ping or even less because I'm at an inherent major disadvantage. The fact is though, I can learn to work within this limitation and even use it to a strategic advantage at times, playing or moving in ways a low pinger never would, therefore they rarely expect it.

Are we talking about just some casual deathmatching or, like, a 1v1 moneymatch between you and the other guy at the top of the ladder after enough time has passed to really let the ladder gain accuracy? Because if it's the former then yeah, obviously, skill plays a big role but that's a completely irrelevant comparison. If it's the latter, then I doubt the 200 ping wouldn't cause a major issue as your skill couldn't carry you, since the skill difference between you two is basically nonexistent. Especially since you're also working against any difference in your brain chemistry that would affect your reflex time and the quickness of your thought process and stuff like that.

EDIT: Even then though, it's not the best comparison because I doubt you or the other guy would have dedicated a huge chunk of your life to be able to reach and maintain that point in the first place, as we'd be talking about a video game that doesn't exactly have an e-sports side to really push PvP play to such extremes. You really can't compare the Olympics to much anything anyone on this forum does ( outside of the odd member that happened to actually perform in the Olympics ) as it's just so far on another level than even most other sporting events. Heck, I brought up the e-sports thing but I don't even know if the Korean e-sports scene even comes close to Olympics-level devotion.

Edited by Arctangent

Also there's an enormous difference between 200 ping and 100 ping. The better comparison is, say, 66 ping vs 65 ping.

If it's the latter, then I doubt the 200 ping wouldn't cause a major issue.

I won't deny it as it's definitely true, but upsets are a thing that happen. The opponent can lose focus for a brief but pivotal moment, random chance can cause a lag spike on their end that turns the tables - Stuff like that. I guess you could say that's just dumb luck but if that's true, what's the point in competing at anything ever? Chance is only one piece of the pie - other factors such as focus, pressure, external factors as subtle as temperature, etc can effect anything from Basketball to Chess. Upsets are common enough that I cannot in good faith use an inherent disadvantage as an excuse for losing. If my desire is to win, the onus would be on me to concentrate and 'rewire' my brain to work within the delay as many Doomers far more skilled than myself have done. One example is GhostKiller who, even with 200+ ping often lays skilled players with 100 or less out. If he had just said "eh I ping high fuck it" he never would have gotten where he is now in terms of skill/ability despite his disadvantage. He worked within it to become a very high-difficulty opponent.

<Nine Inch Heels' post>

It's rare that I agree with a long-ish post from A to Z, but this is one of those cases. Very well stated, NiH. I also agree about poor countries hosting the Olympics, the effects it has are often devastating and there really is never the 'economic boom' people seem to think there is - None of the money made goes to the hosting city, it's all kept by the Olympic foundation which is fucked up beyond any doubt. That's not to mention the giant, expensive stadiums and such simply left to decay.

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

stuff

You might want to doublecheck my post, since I edited it with an extra bit. I'm not talking about competition in general ( heck I don't even consider luck uncompetitive - I'm really into competitive card games ) but just the fact that the Olympics is such an extreme level of competition that it actually loses all aspect of skill outside of people entering when they're under the bar.

It's basically like putting a perfect play AI vs another in a fighting game or something, except their character is given random stats and they have a chance to flub what they're doing to simulate nerves or something along those lines - at that point, it's really just down to which one got the better stats, unless that one rolled its chance to flub at vital moments.

15 hours ago, Agent6 said:

That's a very poor choice of words sir.

But either way, what I think you referred to is what I call "commercial music" , basically the kind of stuff you hear on the typical (and crappy) radio stations and what is insanely popular on YT for no good reason.

Yeah... I din't put it into words properly, but that's exactly what I was thinking of. You kinda hit the nail on the head there.

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

it raises a bunch of questions on my end, one of which being if the good feeling that comes with one's physical well-being isn't worth the few hours a week.

Now I'm probably going to deviate, but oh well, perhaps it's time for another story.

On the subject of practicing any sport that one likes, this reminds me of myself some 8yrs ago when I used to play tennis, 3 or maybe 4 times a week during vacations if memory doesn't fail me, with 5 friends, 4 of whom lived in the same block with me. It was immensely fun and tennis is pretty much the only sport I ever enjoyed, but now that I look back at those times I think it had actually become a passion to me considering that it also brought me deep satisfaction. It certainly improved my self-esteem despite not being the best there (but far from the worst), so sport can definitely have an emotional impact on someone. But I could also consider the fact that my life and things in general were very different at the time and I just didn't have anything to stress or worry about like I do nowadays. It also kept me occupied during my free time, basically doing something with it. Nowadays when I have free time I barely do anything productive or just something for myself... it left me a void I could never manage to fill and I realized this only much, much later.

Sadly, it all came to a very abrupt end when, without any warning, I was no longer accepted (or rather, was indirectly expelled) for some very obscure reason I could never understand or even know for certain. From what I could figure out on my own, I assume it all came down to simply not being likable to the coach anymore (or maybe he never liked me in the first place but never showed it in a more obvious way to make me aware of this). I've been planning to start playing tennis again ever since, but the main problem is that I played with virtually only friends or people I knew personally at the time and therefore it just won't be the same satisfying experience to play with or against complete strangers, so I'm no longer seeing much point in doing it now. I should find something else to do, maybe learn to play guitar or another instrument and compose stuff since music plays such a big role in my life, but I won't see much support for this for a couple of reasons, or rather, just a big one.

11 hours ago, Arctangent said:

Im+Dong+Hyun+Archery+World+Cup+Final+201

This guy won the Olympics with 20/200 + 20/100 vision. Please tell me more about his superior genetics.

I can respect people not liking sports, but I really dislike when they weave insane nonsense to elevate their position as something noble.

While I do dislike watching sports, I find it to be rather erroneous to call sports a "contest of genetics and such". Sportspersons work day in and day out, honing their skills and technique. Oftentimes, they train in countries that lack proper sporting infrastructure and funding, just so that they receive one chance at a large sporting event. Even so, at these events, these athletes have comparable (not equal) skill level. They aren't analogous to perfect AIs, but rather to optimized AIs.

If calling sports entirely skill-based is myopic, then calling sports entirely genetic would be blindness. Both play a part, although it's often skill that determines success.

2 hours ago, dew said:

Im+Dong+Hyun+Archery+World+Cup+Final+201

This guy won the Olympics with 20/200 + 20/100 vision. Please tell me more about his superior genetics.

I can respect people not liking sports, but I really dislike when they weave insane nonsense to elevate their position as something noble.

His genetic body build is obviously better for being able to pull the bow back and maintain a steadiness above and beyond anybody else in the field. Nobody can be trained to do this, only born with it. how could you miss this stunningly simple answer dew??????????

6 hours ago, dew said:

5 hours ago, SGS Man said:

4 hours ago, Decay said:

Well, I guess if there's a thread to reveal that people have very selective reading, this would be the one.

I'm sorry, not all of us have been born with Olympic-level reader genes.

3 minutes ago, dew said:

I'm sorry, not all of us have been born with Olympic-level reader genes.

Well, me neither, but you don't see me roaring at people before tearing their innards out and attempting to shove a much straw as possible before their corpse bursts.

2 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Well, me neither, but you don't see me roaring at people before tearing their innards out and attempting to shove a much straw as possible before their corpse bursts.

Guess you will need to get stronger then??????????????????????????          ?????? ?          ????????????

or do you not have the genes for it...............

39 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

selective reading

It seems kind of ironic you would say this given that you ignore @dew's counterexample to your argument and some of my statements regarding comparable skill level at sporting events (yes, even at the Olympics). The skill floor for the Olympics is ridiculously high, but claiming that the Olympic's "extreme level of competition that it actually loses all aspect of skill" holds little to no water.

Also, saying "the only thing that doesn't come down to genetics is just purely having a shittier training thing" implies a potential gap in skill, contradicting your other statement. You've conveniently disguised a skill gap (in a sporting event... gasp!) as "shittier training". 

Simply put, if everyone got equal training, perhaps then it would come down to genetics. However, a disparity in training implies in a disparity in skill, and the training disparity exists, as you've acknowledged.