Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novaseer

About accurate?

Just now, ASD said:

Who takes these comments seriously? MAP08 is good btw.

I was commenting on him praising Barrels o' Fun.

I'm indifferent really. Didn't make an enemy of me. Now if they had said that The Chasm or Perfect Hatred were the best maps ever, I'd probably raise an eyebrow or two.

Just now, yakfak said:

The Chasm and Perfect Hatred are the best maps ever

Consider eyebrows raised.

20 years ago or so I considered Perfect Hatred my favorite Ultimate map. Even today it's in my top five. You don't like killing six cacodemons with the shotgun?

4 minutes ago, yakfak said:

Perfect Hatred is honestly a solid map, one of the best maps in Episode 4 of Ultimate Doom. It might be difficult and perhaps a bit slow for some, but I find it to be one of the levels that defines the best of Doom. Telefragging the Cyberdemon for first time in Doom will be one of my best memories from Thy Flesh Consumed and Doom in general.

I think I am an enemy of someone right now for what I just posted.

What's wrong with those maps? I really like and enjoy these maps even today. Sandy's gimmicks and gameplay elements still holds up even in modern times. They are such a pleasure, especially on pistol-starts.

Edited by Uni

Just now, GuyNamedErick said:

Perfect Hatred is honestly a solid map, one of the best maps in Episode 4 of Ultimate Doom. It might be difficult and perhaps a bit slow for some, but I find it to be one of the levels that defines the best of Doom. Telefragging the Cyberdemon for first time in Doom will be one of my best memories from Thy Flesh Consumed and Doom in general.

I think I am an enemy of someone right now for what I just posted.

I never found that telefrag secret myself, and the point with the Chasm still remains.

Anyhow, this is getting derailed like my post about PUBG and GZDoom conflicting. But let's be honest, who cares?

19 minutes ago, yakfak said:

19 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Consider eyebrows raised.

They are tho.  Unironically actually.

I remember when I first joined these forums.  I thought that because I liked Doom, and that the forum-members like Doom, then everyone must like Doom for the same reasons as me...

BUAHAHAHAHAahahahahahahaaHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHH!!!

I grew up fast.

it'd be fun to do a joke thread about how odyssey of noises and circle of destruction and toxin refinery are Factually Flawed and Unfun and Objectively Hideous just to see how the other side cries

but not really

i see a lot of chat in doom streams where people try to pinpoint in increasingly narrow windows what's fun about certain types of monster placement or weapon availability or traps or map length or progression and people are always saying massively harsh stuff about maps i think own and obviously had huge amounts of work put into them

come join my upcoming anonymous doom mod release crew "the doesn't tastehavers"

To be honest, my hatred of Perfect Hatred has waned considerably in the past couple years. It's hard to pinpoint why but I think it's due to the fact that when I play Doom now, I usually am speedrunning it. So I don't put a whole lot of time into a level, like one normally would if they were to play it without speedrunning. Plus I think my dislike of the level stemmed from playing the game growing up; it was a fairly difficult level for young me to traverse.

Now that I'm in my 30s, I/you see things differently. I no longer really hate or despise it; I don't like it, but I can tolerate it. But, the same can't or won't ever be said about The Chasm. I hated it 20+ years ago and I'll always hate it. That's just a fact of life; like death and taxes, or something.

Currently speedrunning through TNT: Evilution in the Doom Classic Complete collection on the PS3 and I have to say, there's a few levels on there that raise my ire, even more so than Perfect Hatred. But I digress.

I don't really care what the Doomworld hivemind thinks about those levels, Barrels 'o' Fun and The Chasm were always my favorite Doom II levels as a kid so I love em. And The Pit quickly became one of my favorites about 10 years later when I first played the game with music on.

I hate Barrels 'o Fun with passion but hey I have no problem if someone else likes the map, it's just neither fun nor good from my point of view.

15 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Comment's on an upload of Into Sandy's City on YouTube, if you're wondering.

ye.png

For someone who has been here for 10 years, I've found that there's a lot of confusing sarcastic remarks and memes that get thrown around here that have almost no basis in reality. It's really disproportionate how often these things actually get debated vs. the number of people who claim this debate has already been won and everyone entering doomworld should already know that. 

It's really very stupid and is killing the fun in Doom IMO.

*Puts answer on 3 years old comment*

Anyway, I like classic Doom with all flaws, quirks and some questionable maps with their design. 

Tricks And Traps and The Pit were some of my all-time favorites growing up. I used to play with IDDQD+IDKFA on those maps with the fast monsters+monster respawn boxes checked in Doom95 sometime in the early 2000's. I would just hit IDKFA whenever I was running low on ammo and pointlessly clean out the same hordes of monsters over and over - good times...

Barrels of Fun is kinda okay. It's not bad at all. Just ass to play through when using mods but it's pretty solid on vanilla. Chasm is pretty good too.

28 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Wow, it seems I also made enemies with at least half of Doomworld since I really love Map08 of D2.

2 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

Tricks And Traps and The Pit were some of my all-time favorites growing up. I used to play with IDDQD+IDKFA on those maps with the fast monsters+monster respawn boxes checked in Doom95 sometime in the early 2000's. I would just hit IDKFA whenever I was running low on ammo and pointlessly clean out the same hordes of monsters over and over - good times...

I wasn't referring to T&T or The Pit in my comment - I rather enjoyed both myself.

I was responding to other comments I'd seen in this thread. I don't have a problem with Barrels O' Fun either, if that's a little more on-topic. Doom 2 is just the right amount of being perfectly imperfect and Doomy in all aspects. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have no issue with someone giving me reasons for disliking something. But your generalized comment in that youtube video annoys me. Barrels 'o Fun was a pretty funny map for me.

I replayed Barrels O'Fun just now. The Pain Elemental room is the shittest move of the map, just 2 would have been ok, but Petersen reserved that for HMP difficulty, 6 is pretty annoying though. Punching out Demons is fun. Running by barrels is fun. Fighting the Spider Mastermind is fun since there's plenty of rockets, but you can also let the Arachnotrons infight, which saves ammo for the Archviles. The Chaingunners in the main room are bit a dick move. Most the shitty parts are REALLY shitty on the first playthrough especially.

When I first played it, I was 8 or 9 and I used cheat codes. Out of all the maps in Doom2 this was the most memorable for me, only because of the barrels.

Now couple years back I played through the whole game as intended, but it was a continuous playthrough. This map is still pretty easy with enough chaingun and plasma ammo.

The Pistol start is still a bitch though.

Visually I only like the starting area. Don't really like the Spider Cave and the archvile cave/area, just too bland.

19 hours ago, yakfak said:

it'd be fun to do a joke thread about how odyssey of noises and circle of destruction and toxin refinery are Factually Flawed and Unfun and Objectively Hideous just to see how the other side cries

TBH, I don't think Odyssey of Noises is one of Plutonia's better maps.  It's not as much fun to play as Speed, NME, Anti-Christ, Slayer, etc.

On 2/6/2018 at 9:57 AM, GarrettChan said:

Wow, it seems I also made enemies with at least half of Doomworld since I really love Map08 of D2.

I also love Map 8.